We have the 9th overall right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Only thing Lindros couldn't do was keep his head up. But most of that was because he was too strong. He knew he could bull his way through anyone and that's what he did.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
100% agreed.

Say what you want about his dad and all of the BS about his family being too involved in his career, fine. On the ice, Lindros was incredible. He was good at everything, he was the complete package. Had an elite shot, was a great playmaker, hit like a brick house, stickhandled in a phone booth, played good defensive hockey, high-end leadership... there wasn't anything that you could possibly ask a hockey player to do that he didn't do at an insanely high level, except play goalie. And possibly also: avoid concussions.

A 100% healthy Lindros over a full career probably ends up as one of the top all time hockey players ever.

Can't argue with any of that. Prime Lindros was an absolute beast . . . the legion of doom days with Recchi and Renberg . . . man the Flyers were scary.

Ill never forget when he damn near ended Dackel's career . . . I was at that game . . Dackel's face smudge was on the glass the rest of the night.

Last edited:

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
100% agreed.

Say what you want about his dad and all of the BS about his family being too involved in his career, fine. On the ice, Lindros was incredible. He was good at everything, he was the complete package. Had an elite shot, was a great playmaker, hit like a brick house, stickhandled in a phone booth, played good defensive hockey, high-end leadership... there wasn't anything that you could possibly ask a hockey player to do that he didn't do at an insanely high level, except play goalie. And possibly also: avoid concussions.

A 100% healthy Lindros over a full career probably ends up as one of the top all time hockey players ever.

I still saw 99 and 66. At their best they dwarf the massive freakish 88.

I love thinking about all 3. All were crazy. Gretzky was ridiculously smart. Absurdly. Mario was amazing at everything, so fast, smart and skilled. Lindros was bigger than life. He was the biggest, strongest and baddest player ever at even 17,18,19. Dudes bounced off of him in the era of the biggest, toughest hockey ever. Lindros had muscles on his muscles muscles and reportedly did not lift weights because he got too big immediately. Hockey's Bo Jackson or Shaq.

Anyway McDavid is exciting. All kinds of young guys are exciting. I hope he has the DRIVE of other greats. Crosby has Gretzky like passion and committment. If McDavid has it... Wow. Spezza is maybe the biggest hyped prospect from (or aside from) since 66,88 and 87. Spezza was great. I saw him from a 15 year old Green covered Brampton Battalion. His career was awesome... Is awesome. But MacDavid might be Spezza, MacKinnon, Kane or Stamkos. Brilliant superstar but a mere mortal one. I would like that on my Sens for a decade... If McDavid is really another Mario I eat these words... But I am guessing he is just a really great, talented player... ie not 99 or 66. Still he should be a beauty.

I remember seeing a picture of 88's forearms when he was older and a Leaf. Looked like some dudes thighs... And again he could not lift weights because he would bulk up too much.... Lol.

My point is 99 and 66 make 88 and 87 look like novice children and 88 and 87 are the best since 66 and 99. I actually hope McDavid is the next one... Even if he ends up a Leaf! But he probably is just a sweet non-godlike player.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's weird because progress should tell you that players are getting better, not worse. There are always anomalies and freaks, but the next generations 'freaks and anomalies' should be better than those of the last.

Can't say that I watched Gretzky or even Lemieux in his prime (though I've seen plenty of footage of both) but I feel like a lot of the time nostalgia is a huge factor in determining them as 'dwarfing' someone like Crosby.

VortexDr

Jul 5, 2013
Another win....sigh and so we keep getting away from a decent pick :(

Team and fans seem to be happy that we are stuck in mediocrity....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
VortexDr said:
Another win....sigh and so we keep getting away from a decent pick

I'm enjoying seeing our young players develop and improve.

Since we've always essentially been out of the McEichel sweepstakes, moving up or down a handful of picks is not going to make a difference.

Meanwhile, the young guys that we picked in previous years are starting to play better. Zibanejad? Stone? Hoffman? Ceci? Lazar? Pageau?

Isn't that also an important component of climbing out of mediocrity?

It's as if, once a player is drafted, he's no longer important. What a bizarre notion.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Given how deep this draft is we're not exactly playing ourselves out of anything really.

I mean a guy like Konecny being projected to go around 18th boggles my mind.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm enjoying seeing our young players develop and improve.

Since we've always essentially been out of the McEichel sweepstakes, moving up or down a handful of picks is not going to make a difference.

Meanwhile, the young guys that we picked in previous years are starting to play better. Zibanejad? Stone? Hoffman? Ceci? Lazar? Pageau?

Isn't that also an important component of climbing out of mediocrity?

It's as if, once a player is drafted, he's no longer important. What a bizarre notion.

Not it's not as if that. Not as if that at all.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Not it's not as if that. Not as if that at all.

So it's better if they play as badly as possible? I'm not understanding here.

We have an AHL goalie in net for the love of God. We put Colin Greening back in. Pulling out all the stops.

I guess the players just don't want to lose for some reason.

Shame on them.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Another win....sigh and so we keep getting away from a decent pick :(

I'll worry if Bryan adds at the deadline. We're not winning the Cup this year so no reason to be buyers or make a run. Eventually Hammond will allow goals and we'll lose. Then Anderson can come back, hopefully be rusty and we can regress to 5th or 6th pick.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
So it's better if they play as badly as possible? I'm not understanding here.

We have an AHL goalie in net for the love of God. We put Colin Greening back in. Pulling out all the stops.

I guess the players just don't want to lose for some reason.

Shame on them.

I know, right? I wish our young core gave up and quit a lot easier. More of a loser attitude. It would bode well for the future :shakehead

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Can't argue with any of that. Prime Lindros was an absolute beast . . . the legion of doom days with Recchi and Renberg . . . man the Flyers were scary.

Ill never forget when he damn near ended Dackel's career . . . I was at that game . . Dackel's face smudge was on the glass the rest of the night.

I was sitting a couple of rows from the glass in that photo when Lindros launched himself. Will never forget the sound. Today he'd have been tossed for intent (I'd hope).

Dackel was never the same.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Eichel will be the better of the two anyway

Better skate and better shot

Eichel is filled out. Mcdavid is not.

Mcdavid has some of the best pure skill ive seen. And his passing is out of this world. Eichel is an exceptional player with size and skating ability but mcdavid is a cut above because of what he can do with the puck.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll worry if Bryan adds at the deadline. We're not winning the Cup this year so no reason to be buyers or make a run.

I agree with this, and yet, it is likely Bryan Murray's last trade deadline so I can't imagine him sitting on his hands.

Personally I think this team wins or loses on the basis of what it has - not because of some late rental that messes up the chemistry.

Rentals can be valuable in deep playoff runs, but as far as a late regular season surge, it's hardly enough games for a player to be comfortable enough to make a huge contribution.

The track record isn't all that great IMO either.

Good:

Comrie, Stillman, Cullen

Ok:

Hemsky, Commodore, Sutton, Saprykin, Smolinski, Leschyshyn, Emerson

Bad:

Bondra, Arnason, De Vries, Barrasso, Campoli, Leclaire, Lapointe, Brunet, Ylonen, Sillinger, Ray

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
I agree with this, and yet, it is likely Bryan Murray's last trade deadline so I can't imagine him sitting on his hands.

Personally I think this team wins or loses on the basis of what it has - not because of some late rental that messes up the chemistry.

Rentals can be valuable in deep playoff runs, but as far as a late regular season surge, it's hardly enough games for a player to be comfortable enough to make a huge contribution.

The track record isn't all that great IMO either.

Good:

Comrie, Stillman, Cullen

Ok:

Hemsky, Commodore, Sutton, Saprykin, Smolinski, Leschyshyn, Emerson

Bad:

Bondra, Arnason, De Vries, Barrasso, Campoli, Leclaire, Lapointe, Brunet, Ylonen, Sillinger, Ray

if were calling commodore a ok rental were lowering the bar

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
There was a video made (before Crosby was drafted) where Crosby would balance on top of one of those workout balls, and his trainer with throw a medicine ball at him. They'd toss the ball back and forth, and try to push Crosby off balance. It was insane! His legs and core were so solid, and his balance so amazing. That's why it's near impossible to get the puck off that guy....that crazy core strength. Just balancing on those balls is hard enough, but to throw around a medicine ball on top of that thing...crazy.

Which is why I always laugh when he falls down to try and draw a penalty.

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
I just hope they ship out those bums known as Phillips and Neil, and pull the plug on the failed cowen experiment. Those guys don't deserve to be anywhere near the dressing room at this point, and if they come back the team will revert to a loser mentality.

Team looks very good at the moment. Time to throw a few anchors overboard and cut the rope. And send Lehner back to the minors to learn how to track a puck and proper positioning. Should have done that last season so that the team would easily be in the playoffs.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
There was a video made (before Crosby was drafted) where Crosby would balance on top of one of those workout balls, and his trainer with throw a medicine ball at him. They'd toss the ball back and forth, and try to push Crosby off balance. It was insane! His legs and core were so solid, and his balance so amazing. That's why it's near impossible to get the puck off that guy....that crazy core strength. Just balancing on those balls is hard enough, but to throw around a medicine ball on top of that thing...crazy.

I remember that commercial, Nike wasn't it? Pretty sure it was after he was drafted..

Balanced on top of a Bosu ball if I recall correctly.

/edit/ found it, NHL commercial, and not actually a ball:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
B-6L5UbUsAATbR5.jpg:large

BigBush*

McDacids a bust why would we want him? Keep climbing the standings ottawa

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's weird because progress should tell you that players are getting better, not worse. There are always anomalies and freaks, but the next generations 'freaks and anomalies' should be better than those of the last.

Can't say that I watched Gretzky or even Lemieux in his prime (though I've seen plenty of footage of both) but I feel like a lot of the time nostalgia is a huge factor in determining them as 'dwarfing' someone like Crosby.

Agreed.

I watched all of Gretzky's and Mario's careers, and they were great, above everyone in their day....but players now are so much better overall. The skating, the training, just miles ahead of what it was.

The game is completely different now than in the 70s and 80s. So much faster, and the guys on 3rd and 4th lines now could easily be 2nd line guys (even some first liners) in the olden days.

The amount of skill now is insane.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I remember that commercial, Nike wasn't it? Pretty sure it was after he was drafted..

Balanced on top of a Bosu ball if I recall correctly.

/edit/ found it, NHL commercial, and not actually a ball:

They were also showing a video of him doing essentially the same thing while he was still in junior....back as a 16-year-old I believe. He started with some guru trainer (can't remember the name) back when he was 12/13, and started those type of core development exercises back then.

And that is why we desperately need to bring back the springy boards of the 1980s. Would prevent so many injuries....the boards in that video were like hitting a concrete wall. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad