We have the 9th overall right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah your right we hit a homerun with that pick. No better 2nd rounders have been selected consistently by other teams. You got it.

did you read the links? Your claim that he's an average 2nd rounder is outlandish. Not even up for debate. Nobody is saying he's a homerun, but he's well above average.

Not sure why you're being so snarky.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I'll just leave this clip of Rantanen here:

DcOh0Yp.gif

Kid is intriguing to say the least. Extremely quick for a 6'4 forward and has great hands.

Yeah, but, he didn't score.

We don't need another Condra.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah your right we hit a homerun with that pick. No better 2nd rounders have been selected consistently by other teams. You got it.

I'll answer that when you count Playoff appearances.....

I'm pretty sure I've provided quite a bit of unbiased opinions on the success of our scouting staff and gaffes made by our organization. I guess I haven't risen to the level of saying "your just too emotional" which is a good platform to stand on and be self assured for some reason you've provided some sort of proof to prove me wrong. But like I said, I'll provide you with an answer if prompted by actual comments, not an assessment of my emotional state or how hyperbolic my comments are.

I made it very clear in my post that I wasn't insulting you, but don't weaken your position even further by trying to pass yourself as calm and unbiased, Jesus.

You provided a list of "gaffes" that have since been torn to shreds as biased views on trades and signings.

No need to get defensive, your posts seem emotional, likely because you're a passionate fan, no shame there.

I looks like you're upset with where the team is, and thus every move in the recent past looks terrible to you, given that it has played a part in the team's 'demise'.

I stated a simple case of numbers that you ignored, choosing instead to get offended, which is fine, but you have added a negative slant on a dozen move done by management to reinforce your views that they are terrible. Now, I don't think you've done it as a calculated argument, it's your negative emotional response to our present situation; it's why the arguments are so weak, but understandable given your position.

Simple as that really.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
Am I the only one who sees nothing but glaring red flags about Crouse?

I don't care that he's big. I'm beyond concerned with his point totals.

45GP, 22G, 14A for a paltry total of 36 points.

Thirty six.

For reference, Chris Neil got 55 and 72 points in his final 2 OHL years.

A top 10 pick in what is billed as the best draft in years should not be used on a guy who cannot score at the junior level. Especially when those who are expected to be drafted around him are all racking up points like it's going out of style.

I can't help but think that Lawson Crouse is the next Hugh Jessiman. For those who have no damn clue who Hugh Jessiman is, look up the 1st round of the 2003 draft.

I don't think Crouse is the next Jessiman, Crouse will be an NHL player. I could see a Benoit Pouliot comparison, but Jessiman is over the top.

Those Neil numbers aren't a good comparable either, look at Neil's 17 year old season, where he scored 29 points in 65 games if you want to compare him to Crouse at that same age now. Clearly, Crouse is superior to that.

In terms of where he'll be drafted, there are too many forwards this year having shown the ability to create offense themselves, something Crouse has not done for me to have him in the top 5, and I see him closer to the 10-15 range. If Ottawa was to pick him there, I'd be fine with it.

His performance at the world juniors should be noted, what he did as 17 yr old was impressive.
Since then, he's been a better player at the OHL level too, playing at a point per game pace [20 in 20].
His goal pace is also not that bad as a goal every two games on a team that can't score is fairly solid, especially since that is supposed to be what he is going to offer offensively at the next level. Also, those 36 points put him 1 point back for the team lead, so that shows how bad his team is offensively.

I will be watching closely at how his play [hopefully] improves with Bennett back with the team, that gives him a top end playmaker that goal scoring power wingers are supposed to thrive with.

I hate this article, it's way too over the top on how good Crouse is. He is a good prospect, not flawless as it makes him seem. He hasn't racked up points as the article says 3-4 times, that's been one of his main issues, the one thing people constantly question about him [as shown by the poster above]. I like Crouse as a prospect but to make him out to be an elite prospect with elite skating, an elite shot, off the charts hockey IQ, and unreal stats with a level of play that never drops off is ridiculous. This is the closest thing I saw to a criticism: "while some say his offensive game needs refinement, his offensive abilities are there, he just tends to error on the defensive side of the puck." So it's his great two way play that's the reason for his lesser offensive numbers....
I wouldn't put too much stock into this article, there's a definite bias to it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd be very pleased with Crouse

I'll trust people who watch him play (and how he prepares which is the critical part we don't get to see) over people stat-gazing

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'll just leave this clip of Rantanen here:

DcOh0Yp.gif

Kid is intriguing to say the least. Extremely quick for a 6'4 forward and has great hands.

Holy **** now THIS is what we need. That skating and size...

Watch this video too folks:

Especially: 2:12, and 2:35(he makes Nurse look like a pylon), 5:00

The whole video tbh.

His elusiveness, speed, dangles, body use and stick-checking/timing reminds me of Kopitar.

Not to mention he's actually more a playmaker too so great finishing ability to boot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Ugh all head players look so damn good. I think I'm going to be dissapointed no matter what if marner doesn't fall to us ugh.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sigh.

Every year it seems a goaltender steals away wins and screws us out of a top draft choice.....

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Back to 8th overall we go.

Can we just rename the title so we don't have to keep on changing it every time we move up or down the standings?

BigBush*

Meh, we ply great down the stretch means we might have to settle with Konecny?

Whatever, just keep winning Ottawa. I don't give a **** if we come in 16th

BigBush*

We should just call the thread "We will have a top-10 pick this year. Discuss."

But then we'd have to change it as we climb the standings again. Thus, defeating the point of changing it in the first place

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
i dont understand why some posters don't get it

we aren't a bottom 3-5 team skill wise

unless we have a totally fractured room like the leafs we aren't getting a top 5 pick (minus a lottery win)

a team with anderson/lehner/karlsson/turris/ryan/zibby/hoffman/stone/ceci/meth/cowen isnt getting a bottom 5 pick

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
i dont understand why some posters don't get it

we aren't a bottom 3-5 team skill wise

unless we have a totally fractured room like the leafs we aren't getting a top 5 pick (minus a lottery win)

a team with anderson/lehner/karlsson/turris/ryan/zibby/hoffman/stone/ceci/meth/cowen isnt getting a bottom 5 pick

Except we can get the top pick if we are the best non-playoff team. I say screw the tank and go for the playoffs... Even if we fail we get a slim chance at the top pick.

I so agree. Out goal differential makes us look pretty decent. We aren't a crap team. With Methot in the lineup all season we might be right up there with Boston and Washington.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Looks to me like a guy who could be 5th or 6th on a lot of teams draft lists. Unless we start sinking down the standings again I don't think we'll get him unfortunately.

Mc
Eichel
Hanifin
Strome
Marner
Rantanen
Provorov
Crouse
Barzal

Any one of those guys and i'll be happy.

So basically we gotta finish bottom 10. Rantanen could drop to us.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Except we can get the top pick if we are the best non-playoff team. I say screw the tank and go for the playoffs... Even if we fail we get a slim chance at the top pick.

I so agree. Out goal differential makes us look pretty decent. We aren't a crap team. With Methot in the lineup all season we might be right up there with Boston and Washington.

I hope for an exciting March and April. I hope they go on a legendary tear and make their unlikely post-season future a reality. Even if they don't, I hope they try - who cares where they finish! This team is better than the standings dictate right now. Detroit hasn't needed top five picks for almost an entire generation (20 years or so) to find gems and 'blue-chip' prospects to fill their never-ending ranks of bonafide NHLers and stars enabling them to annually ice a competitive playoff team.

The Senators could do the same; winning creates a culture that needs to be perpetually fed and developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad