We clinched while losing! WTF is a brony? Edition

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
He got it done or the kids last year and Price this year? Therrien is getting the credit despite trying his best to ruin this team.

There's a reason Pittsburgh fired him after getting them to the finals. His "tactics" flat out stink.

but even worse his young talented players hit a wall in their progression with him.
that is why Bylsma has had so much success he helped the growth as opposed to stunting it.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Who do you want to see with Subban and what will be the flaws for the other pairing?

Anyone but our 2 worst god damn defensemen. We have 4 other LHD to choose from, why does it have to be Bouillon? No one can explain this, and the only thing that remotely makes sense is that Therrien wants to keep the other pairs in place so that when Gorges returns he can slide in with Subban.

But that's still a week away and it's been long enough as it is. I cannot take it anymore.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
No I'm saying he deserves a bit more credit then he gets on the boards. I don't agree with all his tatics or his approach on certain issues or situations. Just that he has the numbers backing him right now.

I guess that depends how deep into the numbers you look ;)

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
This board can be unreal sometimes lol.

"Omg plekky gets no support!"
MT puts him with our most creative and hardest working forwards who have ridiculous chemistry together "omg we need a working second line!"

We just had a bad game. This was not Tampa beating us, it was us not beating Tampa, we'll be alright. Tampa is a good team tho for sure, if our first line actually did anything today we'd be better off but it happens. Gorges gets rid of Boullion and that's big.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
i think my biggest concern is pk. how can he go from jm's pk, to this pk, because it's night and day on the ice in his own end. every part of pk's defensive game is weaker than 2 years ago, and now we are seeing his offensive creative going too.

a lot of our issues on d have to do with positioning. it's like I'm watching a team of matthew dandenault's back there. it's sad.

It's not just PK. Emelin has looked his worst this year. He has the odd great game here and there, otherwise he stinks.
Gorges the same. Markov also seems lost and gets beaten like he rarely was before (although you can scratch Markov off with all the injuries). Gallagher and Galchenyuk have not improved their defensive aspect of the game at all not to mention their offensive development is in stall mode, Eller is gone.
Really, it's not for no reason people kept repeating most of the players have regressed. It isn't limited to PK.
But unlike you, I'm not worried about PK. The guy is a beast, he will bounce back. But this coaching staff is bad. We're not talking about Julien getting fired at the end of a great season here. The Devils were playing some great hockey and their system was solid. It's the opposite with Therrien. Our team is not playing solid hockey, our structure is bad (or non existent), and players have regressed. We have been riding DD's hot line since mid november while relying on Price to pull miracles out of his ass. This on top of luckily being part of a very weak Eastern conference.

We can beat TB. But I think we have complicated our lives for most of the year and I expect to keep doing that in the POs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A little exagerated there, more speedy that's it. At the beginning of the seasons he looks ready, but now we are talking about the greater league and i don't think he is ready. We don't have anybody greater than Murray or Bouilllon in the system. Maybe Beaulieu, but it's a big question mark.

No. Tinordi is way more agile than Murray. Both he and Beaulieu should be ahead of Murray.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I'm not a huge Therrien supporter but the guy has coached us into a tie for 3rd in the entire east. The guy deserves a bit of credit.

He also coached us last year to a division win.

The guy is getting it done even if we don't agree with his tactics.

There's a reason why there's a big fire Therrien sentiment this year which wasn't there last year despite being in good positions both years.

The underlying numbers were really good last season. The Habs were winning games in the right way, out shooting, out chancing, out possessing, and out playing the opposition. Everyone was producing, the lineup made sense, and the Habs were near the top in the league in possession and +20 at 5 on 5. Really the only complaints were some minor gripes about Subban's ice time, last season this team was coached well for the most part.

This season the underlying performance has been horrendous. The only thing keeping us where we are is Price having a Vezina calibre season. The team has gone from top 10 to bottom 10 possession wise, and 5v5 goal differential is now -10. Every player save Gallagher and Pacioretty are having a down year possession wise, virtually every player's production is down, we're treated to the baffling Murray, Emelin, and Bouillion sideshow every game.

It's just a complete and utter systematic failure and a group of 20 players doesn't suddenly forget how to play the game in one summer. It starts with the coaching, the system has clearly changed from quick passing and transition play into chip off the glass and hope for the best. My guess is that the playoff loss was seen as proof the team wasn't responsible enough defensively or too soft for the playoffs so we play some bizzare grinding style with a roster full of smaller skill players. It's baffling.

The key to good management in hockey is to separate the results from the process. Look at what happened to the Leafs, there were people bringing up all the underlying numbers and everyone laughed at all the nerds and their spreadsheets. Last season this team ran like the diet version of the Blackhawks. Now we play like the full fat version of the Leafs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

MT puts him with our most creative and hardest working forwards who have ridiculous chemistry together "omg we need a working second line!"

We just had a bad game. This was not Tampa beating us, it was us not beating Tampa, we'll be alright. Tampa is a good team tho for sure, if our first line actually did anything today we'd be better off but it happens. Gorges gets rid of Boullion and that's big.

Those kids need sheltered minutes and heavy offensive opportunities. If the point is to develop their offensive skills, then that's what we should be doing. Don't give him the task of being Plek's wingers versus the tougher opponents.
If you want them to improve their defensive game, then you need to let them improve that aspect on lower lines.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's not just PK. Emelin has looked his worst this year. He has the odd great game here and there, otherwise he stinks.
Gorges the same. Markov also seems lost and gets beaten like he rarely was before (although you can scratch Markov off with all the injuries). Gallagher and Galchenyuk have not improved their defensive aspect of the game at all not to mention their offensive development is in stall mode, Eller is gone.
Really, it's not for no reason people kept repeating most of the players have regressed. It isn't limited to PK.
But unlike you, I'm not worried about PK. The guy is a beast, he will bounce back. But this coaching staff is bad. We're not talking about Julien getting fired at the end of a great season here. The Devils were playing some great hockey and their system was solid. It's the opposite with Therrien. Our team is not playing solid hockey, our structure is bad (or non existent), and players have regressed. We have been riding DD's hot line since mid november while relying on Price to pull miracles out of his ass. This on top of luckily being part of a very weak Eastern conference.

We can beat TB. But I think we have complicated our lives for most of the year and I expect to keep doing that in the POs.

someone watched the same games i watched :laugh::laugh:

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
It's just one loss after a pretty promising streak, hardly reason to panic....

HOWEVER, take a look at the icetime stats....Subban at 17:48... Only Bouillon had less icetime amongst the Dman. WTF??? and Briere a team low at 8:13.

I wasn't a fan of the briere signing, but now that he's here, and given his playoff stats, he needs to play more minutes, especially on the powerplay.

GeoStride87

Feb 23, 2013
i think my biggest concern is pk. how can he go from jm's pk, to this pk, because it's night and day on the ice in his own end. every part of pk's defensive game is weaker than 2 years ago, and now we are seeing his offensive creative going too.

a lot of our issues on d have to do with positioning. it's like I'm watching a team of matthew dandenault's back there. it's sad.

it's not just his defensive game that's regressed, he's afraid to do ANYTHING creative offensively, particularly with the up ice rushes and on the powerplay.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's just one loss after a pretty promising streak, hardly reason to panic....

HOWEVER, take a look at the icetime stats....Subban at 17:48... Only Bouillon had less icetime amongst the Dman. WTF??? and Briere a team low at 8:13.

I wasn't a fan of the briere signing, but now that he's here, and given his playoff stats, he needs to play more minutes, especially on the powerplay.

hey you know that wheel we have for Boston excuses...
i think MT has one for determining players icetime...:laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
it's not just his defensive game that's regressed, he's afraid to do ANYTHING creative offensively, particularly with the up ice rushes and on the powerplay.

and its not only him...
let's face it its all our kids...
no refinement in any of their play that i've noticed this year.
its f...ing pathetic.

Angels

Mar 10, 2014
Canada

I don't think I would like "creativity" with Subban lately. That turnover behind Price's net, in front of Stamkos...in general, his last few games.

Maybe upcoming contract negotiations are clouding his play but it has been sloppy.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think I would like "creativity" with Subban lately. That turnover begin Price's net, in front of Stamkos...in general, his last few games.

Maybe upcoming contract negotiations are clouding his play but it has been sloppy.

he's not having much fun out there lately thats for sure.
he was going pretty good for a while until that brutal turnover shorty a few games ago.
then he wouldn't speak to the media after the game.
hmmm...

MsChanandlerBong

The Chan-Chan Man
Jul 29, 2011
Ottawa

I'm not one that is complaining about this line, but I disagree with what you said above. Galchenyuk is definitely our most creative forward (him and Vanek tied, at least), but anyone can agree that he hasn't been the same since his injury and tbh he's been struggling a bit. Gallagher, even though he is super effective in his role, is definitely not creative...he pretty much just cycles the puck or shoots immediately (not complaining). If it were my choice I'd make our second line Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher so that Briere has a lot of ice time to excel in the playoffs, but I'm not complaining about the current set up.

TimStrickland

Jul 30, 2011
hfboards.hockeysfuture.com
Conclusion: Therrien and his coaching staff are very poor at making in game adjustements.

They have no fluid intelligence, can't anaylze things on the fly and adapt accordingly. We don't seem to have a coherent system.

The Habs win in spite of that coaching staff. We have enough talent and Price is great for us.

With all the additions Bergevin made in the last months Therrien has less excuses to choke.

This postseason will expose Therrien's ability, for better or for worse. Hopefully for the Habs it's the former. Maybe he can surprise us :laugh:

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

You can't discredit the other team, when we lose. MT didn't have this team ready to play, 2 games in a row. He knows Tampa is our playoff opponent, and the team took the night off. How pathetic is that? He hasn't beaten Tampa this year, and he doesn't have his team prepared to play? What did he do with them after that brutal effort in Florida? P.K looked hungover, he was just terrible. Nobody was ready to play, it was a joke.

You think you can just 'turn it on' come playoff time? You can't. It's a process that you start 10 games before the post season, not the night before. They better get their **** together, or this is going to be another ugly first round exit.

I hope they remember to keep their heads up, because after all the whining we did when 'player 81' got the snot rocked out of him, it's coming back out way. Therrien stinks.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not one that is complaining about this line, but I disagree with what you said above. Galchenyuk is definitely our most creative forward (him and Vanek tied, at least), but anyone can agree that he hasn't been the same since his injury and tbh he's been struggling a bit. Gallagher, even though he is super effective in his role, is definitely not creative...he pretty much just cycles the puck or shoots immediately (not complaining). If it were my choice I'd make our second line Briere-Plekanec-Gallagher so that Briere has a lot of ice time to excel in the playoffs, but I'm not complaining about the current set up.

5 games left and we are still struggling with our lineup.
if we put briere with plecky we need to put gio back on that line.
last time i checked they still lead the habs at even strength with a 180 min +10 rating as a line.
this would require reuniting EGG (now is the perfect opportunity) see if they can get their magic back.
fourth line would be any combo of the remaining forwards depending on the situation.
moen for sure when he is healthy so he can spell briere on defensive face offs late in periods and games

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
...We have 4 other LHD to choose from, why does it have to be Bouillon? No one can explain this, and the only thing that remotely makes sense is that Therrien wants to keep the other pairs in place so that when Gorges returns he can slide in with Subban.

Understanding the reason why Bouillion plays with Subban begins with getting into therrien's mind, where amid the decaying muck has surfaced the guiding belief that desharnais must play with the squad's best wingers; and bouillon must play with the squad's best defenceman.

Therrien knows more about hockey than we do so pls accept svp ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad