We clinched while losing! WTF is a brony? Edition

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
According to the article below about last nights game and MT's usage of PK it doesn't seem like he played as bad as you seem to think he did.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/4/2/5573676/pk-subban-michel-therrien-canadiens-coaching

The Canadiens had 23 even strength faceoffs in the defensive zone against Tampa Bay, and Subban was used for eleven of them. Eleven defensive zone starts in 9.8 minutes of time on ice, and yet when he was on the ice, the Canadiens were conceding one third of the shot attempts against that they were when he was off of it.

The fact is, Subban was absolutely incredible against the Lightning, and instead of riding that and looking for a spark to win the game, Michel Therrien indirectly called him out to the press, saying that the team was "too fancy" and "refused to chip the puck in".

That's right ladies and gentlemen, stop being good, dump and chase. That's the message from the coach of the Montreal Canadiens.

I think the way the article ends sums up the frustration that a lot of us feel about Subban's usage in general this season...

Eller needs to stop with the stupid penalities. I'm willing to have him be #4 center if he isn't a liability defensively and works hard, but when you are a big zero offensively(or at least south of Weise Moen Prust) you can't take lazy penalities 200 feet from your net.

I'm not saying Eller hasn't had some bad penalties this year, but from what I can remember, both his calls tonight were pretty much garbage, especially his 'holding' call where both his hands were on his stick...

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Maybe it was just me but when MT finally put Subban on the PK last night, Tampa couldn't establish their presence in our zone. Our PK got a lot better at clearing when Subban was on the ice, so maybe MT also saw that.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Maybe it was just me but when MT finally put Subban on the PK last night, Tampa couldn't establish their presence in our zone. Our PK got a lot better at clearing when Subban was on the ice, so maybe MT also saw that.

I doubt it. He was probably looking at the rafters taking deep breaths not even paying attention.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Refused to chip the puck in could also be a shot at DD. Also, let's be honest here. On the PP, there are prepared zone entry strategies, but there's also a lot of space for personal improvisation. When PK tries to carry the puck in then curls back, it isn't because the coach told him to. When he doesn't dump it when he should have, it's not because the coach told him to. It's because he misread the play.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Refused to chip the puck in could also be a shot at DD. Also, let's be honest here. On the PP, there are prepared zone entry strategies, but there's also a lot of space for personal improvisation. When PK tries to carry the puck in then curls back, it isn't because the coach told him to. When he doesn't dump it when he should have, it's not because the coach told him to. It's because he misread the play.

There is no defense for his use of Subban. To me that really sums up the season.
Just weird inexplicable decisions.

The team didn't lose because we were too fancy and refused to chip the puck in. Does he know what defense is?? Because yesterday was one of the worst display of overall team defense/transition I've seen in a while (actually, no, it hasn't been that long. They were just as bad a few games ago vs the Bruins.)

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
There is no defense for his use of Subban. To me that really sums up the season.
Just weird inexplicable decisions.

The team didn't lose because we were too fancy and refused to chip the puck in. Does he know what defense is?? Because yesterday was one of the worst display of overall team defense/transition I've seen in a while (actually, no, it hasn't been that long. They were just as bad a few games ago vs the Bruins.)

I'm was not judging Therrien's use of Subban here. I was stating that trying to tie Therrien's alleged dump and chase system to Subban's failure to create zone entries on the PP is non-sensical.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Conclusion: Therrien and his coaching staff are very poor at making in game adjustements.

They have no fluid intelligence, can't anaylze things on the fly and adapt accordingly. We don't seem to have a coherent system.

The Habs win in spite of that coaching staff. We have enough talent and Price is great for us.

With all the additions Bergevin made in the last months Therrien has less excuses to choke.

This postseason will expose Therrien's ability, for better or for worse. Hopefully for the Habs it's the former. Maybe he can surprise us :laugh:

My opinion is that both Therrien and Gallant are similar old school hard nose coachs and there's not enough new insight in there.

They should have at least one brainiac that's gonna figure things quickly to adapt for various situations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad