We clinched while losing! WTF is a brony? Edition

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Eller needs to stop with the stupid penalities. I'm willing to have him be #4 center if he isn't a liability defensively and works hard, but when you are a big zero offensively(or at least south of Weise Moen Prust) you can't take lazy penalities 200 feet from your net.

Analyzer*

Team played like **** and still had a chance to win until that short-handed goal, bad games happen and we just won 5 in a row.. nothing to worry about. Hopefully Gorges is back soon and we don't have to see Bouillon/Murray any longer.

The game before against Florida the team played like ****. Luckily it was Florida and they had Dan Ellis in nets.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eller needs to stop with the stupid penalities. I'm willing to have him be #4 center if he isn't a liability defensively and works hard, but when you are a big zero offensively(or at least south of Weise Moen Prust) you can't take lazy penalities 200 feet from your net.

Which penalty was stupid? The one where he was holding the guy even though both his hands were on his stick?

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Therrien claims they lost because they were "too fancy"

Well, Desharnais was too fancy on that epic fail of a drop pass that led to the GWG for Tampa. But Therrien loves the midget so much he probably forgot about it 5 seconds later and can instead only recall Subban's turnover to Stamkos instead.....

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Well, Desharnais was too fancy on that epic fail of a drop pass that led to the GWG for Tampa. But Therrien loves the midget so much he probably forgot about it 5 seconds later and can instead only recall Subban's turnover to Stamkos instead.....

Un gars de chez nous contre...

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
So what?? PK still finished as the least used Dman at ES. That's unacceptable. Really, wtf is going on when we use our best Dman the least at ES. It's freaking Pejorative Slured.
I don't care how many penalties we took (and btw, Subban can play the PK just fine), it doesn't explain how Markov gets around 16min of ES time, and PK gets 11 (they have the same ice time on the PP too, so you can't blame that).

This isn't new. PK's handling this year has been a farce.

PK played like crap, fumbled the puck, made numerous dangerous and unnecessary plays while he was on the ice. On top of that, Therrien doesn't use him a lot during PK and hasn't been for the whole year. I understand why he played less than usual. I'm not talking about the whole year, I'm talking about this game only. Maybe he wasn't 100%, maybe Therrien simply wanted to send a message. We don't know, we can only speculate. And PK is our best Dman when he's on but when he plays like yesterday, he's a liability. I wish he could chose his moments better for his individual plays. Note that PK is my favourite player on this team.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
PK played like crap, fumbled the puck, made numerous dangerous and unnecessary plays while he was on the ice. On top of that, Therrien doesn't use him a lot during PK and hasn't been for the whole year. I understand why he played less than usual. I'm not talking about the whole year, I'm talking about this game only. Maybe he wasn't 100%, maybe Therrien simply wanted to send a message. We don't know, we can only speculate. And PK is our best Dman when he's on but when he plays like yesterday, he's a liability. I wish he could chose his moments better for his individual plays. Note that PK is my favourite player on this team.

Every player can play like crap on occasion.
What i don't like is a coaching staff who just don't get it.
I've come to the conclusion none of them have an inkling as to what makes PK tick.
If they do then they are trying to break him (and doing a good job).
If you have ever watched the old Kung Fu series guess what...

PK has already snatched the pebble from Daigneault's hands.
There is no reason for Pk to struggle with any game situation.
Hell he was playing better D on the backend his call up year in the play offs.

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
Your shutdown line will play 18-20 minutes....cause that's how the opponnent will put their top line out there. So you're line would almost certainly prevent any scoring during 1/3 of the game. The shutdown is supposed to a be a 2-way line, or a "all game situation line" if you prefer.

And we saw against Team like Boston and Tampa with great defensive system, they can shutdown our one-line team system. Tampa did it all year against DD's line with Gallagher or Vanek.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta (All game situation, 19-20 minutes a game line, PP-PK)
Galchenyuk - Desharnais - Vanek (Offensive game situation, PP, 16-18 minutes)

None of those line will outproduced the Pac-DD-Vanek line.....but that top 6 will produce more than the one we got now. Galchenyuk need to be on that line and Pacioretty is the only one that can take on Stamkos line and get out on top.

I'd probably put Vanek on DD's left side and Gallagher on his right side here because there's no one that can drive the play to the offensive zone on that second line of yours and Gallagher is one of our best player when it comes to pushing the play to the offensive zone. Basically, the line will be too weak to give them much icetime and you want Vanek on the ice more than that.

ZARTONK

Headscratcher!
Jul 4, 2008
Montreal
To be fair, both Plekanec and Emelin did a lot of traveling right before the game, both came to Montreal and went back. Emelin was obviously tired, he played a pretty bad game, as for Plekanec, he also did a couple of bad mistakes.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

According to the article below about last nights game and MT's usage of PK it doesn't seem like he played as bad as you seem to think he did.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/4/2/5573676/pk-subban-michel-therrien-canadiens-coaching

To put this in greater context, while Subban was on the ice, the Canadiens were giving up 24.49 shot attempts per 60 minutes. While he was off the ice, they were giving up 73.2 shot attempts per 60.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Doesn't matter if some of those shot attempts were a brutal turnover.

No one played particularly good last night except maybe Gallagher.

Doesn't really matter how 'brutal' the turnover appears. A good example would be tinordi's turnover that led to him getting press box'd. He was playing better than the D he was replacing overall, even including that goal against. People perceive it as being some unforgiveable error because of how bad it looks, but looks are rarely a good enough ruler to measure someone's play.

People keep harping on DD's giveaway on the PP, because of how bad it looked, but in reality they should be talking about the potentially far more harmful ES play of that entire line. They got absolutely massacred last night. But people only want to talk about this small, stand out plays that mean very little at the end of the day. I call it TSN-Vision.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
According to the article below about last nights game and MT's usage of PK it doesn't seem like he played as bad as you seem to think he did.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2014/4/2/5573676/pk-subban-michel-therrien-canadiens-coaching

I think the numbers are skewed by the shorthanded time, where the team obviously allows more shots, and I still believe PK made boneheaded plays but I must admit this article presents some pretty interesting stats to counter what I said. Of course, I go by what I see and how I feel during the game, I don't hold my personnal stats to back up my opinion but all in all, I stand corrected.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I think the numbers are skewed by the shorthanded time, where the team obviously allows more shots, and I still believe PK made boneheaded plays but I must admit this article presents some pretty interesting stats to counter what I said. Of course, I go by what I see and how I feel during the game, I don't hold my personnal stats to back up my opinion but all in all, I stand corrected.

Generally those type of stats are for ES time only, no special teams.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Doesn't really matter how 'brutal' the turnover appears. A good example would be tinordi's turnover that led to him getting press box'd. He was playing better than the D he was replacing overall, even including that goal against. People perceive it as being some unforgiveable error because of how bad it looks, but looks are rarely a good enough ruler to measure someone's play.

People keep harping on DD's giveaway on the PP, because of how bad it looked, but in reality they should be talking about the potentially far more harmful ES play of that entire line. They got absolutely massacred last night. But people only want to talk about this small, stand out plays that mean very little at the end of the day. I call it TSN-Vision.

Fans tend to base their opinions on results rather than overall play / trends. When you read knowledgeable articles on blogs such as EOTP, you realize that the bigger picture is much more informative than an individual goal or turnover (Berkshire predicted a collapse half way through that 10-0-1 streak earlier in the season). Take Bourque for example, he spent a shift floating at the blue line with the puck remaining in our zone for an extended period. The puck happened to bounce over the defenseman's stick, allowing him to go on a breakaway. Had he scored, people would've been praising him, despite the fact that he was floating and completely invisible.

Similarly, our top line gets crushed at ES, but scores 3 goals vs a horrible Florida team and all TSN690 can talk about is "When's the last time we had a line this dominant :amazed::amazed::amazed: ?"

Unfortunately, Therrien formulates his decisions in the same way fans formulate their opinions, based on results and individual plays.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
No mention of that in the article though.

Yeah. I think it's one of those things that is kinda just assumed after a while with those kinds of articles. Taking into account shots for/against while including special teams would make no sense. If you don't read them very often, I can see how it can be misleading.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

What a surprise you pick on Eller of all people. At least you're consistent.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Fans tend to base their opinions on results rather than overall play / trends. When you read knowledgeable articles on blogs such as EOTP, you realize that the bigger picture is much more informative than an individual goal or turnover (Berkshire predicted a collapse half way through that 10-0-1 streak earlier in the season). Take Bourque for example, he spent a shift floating at the blue line with the puck remaining in our zone for an extended period. The puck happened to bounce over the defenseman's stick, allowing him to go on a breakaway. Had he scored, people would've been praising him, despite the fact that he was floating and completely invisible.

Similarly, our top line gets crushed at ES, but scores 3 goals vs a horrible Florida team and all TSN690 can talk about is "When's the last time we had a line this dominant :amazed::amazed::amazed: ?"

Unfortunately, Therrien formulates his decisions in the same way fans formulate their opinions, based on results and individual plays.

This is so true.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
Yeah. I think it's one of those things that is kinda just assumed after a while with those kinds of articles. Taking into account shots for/against while including special teams would make no sense. If you don't read them very often, I can see how it can be misleading.

For the record the numbers in the article are definitely at ES.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad