We are serious contenders!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'd say that's fair, you're always on the ball with the numbers. I do think that sometimes you put too much stock in what the numbers say and you're also a huge homer at times (not that there's anything wrong with that). :)

Yes, his numbers are spot on a lot, but this goes beyond the numbers, if we don't tighten up, and also fix the PP, we won't win the cup, it's very simple.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We can score all we want, and yes few teams will be able to match that, but if we cannot stop them, how the hell are you going to win the cup?.

Leafs rank 8th in goals against per game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We're for sure a contender. It's 2019, all it takes is getting hot at the right time. On the contrary, another 1st round exit is a disturbing possibility too.

Roster-wise I honestly don't think we're much behind Tampa at all. The gap is closer than the standings say and the biggest difference between us and them is coaching.

the biggest difference is their PP is unstoppable, and they get way more PPs.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We're for sure a contender. It's 2019, all it takes is getting hot at the right time. On the contrary, another 1st round exit is a disturbing possibility too.

Roster-wise I honestly don't think we're much behind Tampa at all. The gap is closer than the standings say and the biggest difference between us and them is coaching.

I think Nasville would hand us our lunch money if we happened to make it out of the East. Hell even Calgary with their backend.

Tampa has the ability to play playoff style hockey, they would be so difficult to beat, same with Boston (but I think we could take Boston this year)

Look at the Montreal game, yes it was well played, but with a LOT less talent than us, they follow a well coached system, with a grinding possession game, I would be scared of that also in a series.... along with Price in net.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

So true. I believe there's an old adage that says that in the playoffs, it comes down to special teams and goaltending. I think there's a lot of truth to that and how Andersen plays will be crucial. And also our PP is a HUGE area of concern.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think it is too early to tell. Many guys still have not learned what it takes to win. Until they do it is a learning process. Nobody gives you a freebie in playoffs especially Boston.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
the biggest difference is their PP is unstoppable, and they get way more PPs.
Bolts have received 182 PP oppotunities to our 140.

Is 42 PP's over the course of 55 games really responsible for a 15 point discrepancy in the standings?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
what does goals for, have to do with against?

Lets say we had even an average to above average offence, our backend would be under a lot more scrutiny, we have the ability to outscore a lot of problems, serious problems. The playoffs will expose this really badly, we won't be able to outscore everyone, so that differential will mean nothing.

Point being is our scoring will go down, and with the way we defend, that goals against won't go down.

A team like Nasville will not care about how much they score, but boy they will still defend, and I would bet they would have one of the best differentials in the playoffs.

Or we could outscore every team in the playoffs, and Freddy is MVP, it can go anyway. I just think out of the top contenders, we have the ability for a 1st round exit if we can't score, because we don't keep the puck out of our net very well (again unless Andy has an MVP playoffs)

Last edited:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
We're one of the teams that can win it, no doubt.
After Tampa, there isn't a clear cut #2. Teams 2-10 have all looked bad at times and have flaws.

Need a bit of luck too. We had the same record as Washington last year. They win the division, we get 3rd and face a 112 point Boston team.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Lets say we had even an average to above average offence, our backend would be under a lot more scrutiny, we have the ability to outscore a lot of problems, serious problems. The playoffs will expose this really badly, we won't be able to outscore everyone, so that differential will mean nothing.

Point being is our scoring will go down, and with the way we defend, that goals against won't go down.

A team like Nasville will not care about how much they score, but boy they will still defend, and I would bet they would have one of the best differentials in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Is 42 PP's over the course of 55 games really responsible for a 15 point discrepancy in the standings?

It's not just the number of PP's though, the proficiency matters too and like Zeke, it's the combination of both.

I just did some quick math and unless I did it wrong, TB has scored 53 PP goals to our 28. I'm not sure if those extra 25 goals are enough to account for 15 extra points but I imagine it covers a good chunk of it.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

When your power play doesn't suck, sure. That's 12-13 extra goals for them and teams are way more concerned with not taking penalties which also helps 5v5 play.

Reactions: DanM

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
When your power play doesn't suck, sure. That's 12-13 extra goals for them and teams are way more concerned with not taking penalties which also helps 5v5 play.
But my original point was coaching is the difference between us and Tampa.

Our PP personnel are 100% comparable. They're producing results, we aren't. We've just been doing the same garbage on the PP that the rest of the league figured out 2 months ago. We're 30th in PP% since the new year for crying out loud.

Reactions: dsred

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

well, yeah.

Leafs and Bolts have given up pretty much the same amount of goals.

They've both scored pretty much the same amount of even strength goals (leafs actually have scored more).

But the Bolts have scored 25 more PP goals.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Zeke, I get it, I pushed a button, and I didn't gush over our playoff chances, and if I angered you, my apologies. I want more than anything to win a cup.

What I mean't by goals, is that our offence covers up a lot of liabilities. The fact is our differential is this high because we can score so much, and not because our D is so strong. If we had even an above average offence, we would have a lot more scrutiny about our backend.

So when they playoffs start, and we cannot score as much, the offensive numbers will decrease, but our D (or from how it looks today) will not pick it up a notch, and that differential will not be even close to the same.

Take a Nashville, Tampa, Wpg, Calgary (maybe) all will score less in the playoffs, but I feel their D will step up, and their differential will still look fantastic.

We just don't defend well, I mean how can we say we do?

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Our biggest issue is everyone handling the puck like a grenade in the D zone, as usual. Forwards have terrible positioning and effort towards helping our D break out, while the D have no idea what to do with it besides stretch passes(due to forwards cheating the zone).

You can't have these issues in the current NHL because it just leads to mass penalties, the East is stacked offensively. We will bow out of the playoffs on this problem alone. Coaches need to realize the league figured out our breakout last year

"contender" teams will destroy us

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Our biggest issue is everyone handling the puck like a grenade in the D zone, as usual. Forwards have terrible positioning and effort towards helping our D break out, while the D have no idea what to do with it besides stretch passes(due to forwards cheating the zone).

You can't have these issues in the current NHL because it just leads to penalties, the East is stacked. We will bow out of the playoffs on this problem alone. Coaches need to realize the league figured out our breakout last year

"contender" teams will destroy us

I have been trying to say this lol

Plus we allow other teams forwards so much space, the game is already fast enough, and we go and let them enter our zone like a pee wee team.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Zeke, I get it, I pushed a button, and I didn't gush over our playoff chances, and if I angered you, my apologies. I want more than anything to win a cup.

What I mean't by goals, is that our offence covers up a lot of liabilities. The fact is our differential is this high because we can score so much, and not because our D is so strong. If we had even an above average offence, we would have a lot more scrutiny about our backend.

So when they playoffs start, and we cannot score as much, the offensive numbers will decrease, but our D (or from how it looks today) will not pick it up a notch, and that differential will not be even close to the same.

Take a Nashville, Tampa, Wpg, Calgary (maybe) all will score less in the playoffs, but I feel their D will step up, and their differential will still look fantastic.

We just don't defend well, I mean how can we say we do?

We don't defend well but we've allowed the 7th fewest goals in the league.....and that's all because we score a bunch?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We don't defend well but we've allowed the 7th fewest goals in the league.....and that's all because we score a bunch?

I think a lot of that is on Freddy, he masks a lot, and yes that counts. If he goes MVP, we are going far in the playoffs, I will fully admit that. But Freddy plus an offence scoring 200+ goals masks a lot of things.

Having a top goalie does give us some edge in the D department.

Again, we are a contender, I just don't think we are a serious one without our PP being even average, and Freddy going nuclear. Anybody can see how badly we defend.

Last nights NY game is somewhat like what would happen in the playoffs if we didn't have an elite tender. The difference is we wouldn't get 55 shots, we would be facing the best teams, plus we still can't defend as a team.

Maybe we all watch a different team, if I am wrong, than my apologies, truly.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I think a lot of that is on Freddy, he masks a lot, and yes that counts. If he goes MVP, we are going far in the playoffs, I will fully admit that. But Freddy plus an offence scoring 200+ goals masks a lot of things.

Having a top goalie does give us some edge in the D department.

Again, we are a contender, I just don't think we are a serious one without our PP being even average, and Freddy going nuclear. Anybody can see how badly we defend.

Last nights NY game is somewhat like what would happen in the playoffs if we didn't have an elite tender. The difference is we wouldn't get 55 shots, we would be facing the best teams, plus we still can't defend as a team.

Well it was our backup playing last night, and as much as I defend Sparks no one is arguing he's an elite tender. I think having an elite tender is part of having good defence.

So does Tampa not defend well? They've allowed one fewer goal but have scored way more than us. As well their backup has similar stats to Sparks other than the fact the Domingue has played a bunch more games.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Well it was our backup playing last night, and as much as I defend Sparks no one is arguing he's an elite tender. I think having an elite tender is part of having good defence.

So does Tampa not defend well? They've allowed one fewer goal but have scored way more than us. As well their backup has similar stats to Sparks other than the fact the Domingue has played a bunch more games.

No No, I said "somewhat" like, I know the NY game not exactly the best comparison lol and yes, and elite tender is a huge bonus, and we could win a cup with him playing all world.

Tampa has actually had some issues with Vas this season, he has been up and down, and the same rules apply to them with regards to the tender. I would just put money on their backend and forwards playing defensively responsible in the playoffs, where as we just don't, we need Freddy a lot more.

But I will admit Tampa does lack some depth in parts of the backend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad