We are serious contenders!

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
It’s not just bangers. It’s about guys working hard and skating to get into position to receive a pass. It’s quite common to see one guy working hard with the puck buck has no one to pass to because the others are standing around or being easily checked. They’re a terrific perimeter team but they need to step up and play harder on the puck. If they don’t itll be another early exit.

absolutely.

they gotta get tougher.

otherwise they're out again, guaranteed

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
absolutely.

they gotta get tougher.

And as an NHL fan I’ll add that it should be that way. I don’t want to watch that style of hockey in May.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
I think they’re definitely serious contenders. I just wish Dubas and Co planned things better so the window is open longer. The lineup for next season looks pretty dim unless Johnsson and Kapanen take HUGE discounts. Remember Johnsson signed his qualifying offer last summer instead of doing a deal so he has arbitration rights this summer
Their window will be quite a while. Remember that there's a new tv deal, expansion team and gambling income on it's way.... the cap is going to go way up in the next 5 years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Their window will be quite a while. Remember that there's a new tv deal, expansion team and gambling income on it's way.... the cap is going to go way up in the next 5 years.

I hope ESPN is not part of any tv deal. I keep hearing their name every time. As it is now NBC Sports is far and away the best at covering the nhl. That includes CBC and TSN

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
We also got screwed over with an outrageous Kadri suspension, when players have been punished more leniently for worse offences (and the trend looks lik it’ll continue given Parros’ Hyman suspension decision earlier this year).

But beyond that, Andersen played well below his capabilities that series, and Matthews was battling an injury throughout.

We’ve now added Tavares, Muzzin, and have another year of experience under our belts. And, if the Leafs can hold on, will have home ice advantage. Boston hasn’t added anything significant (yet) and their roster remains largely the same.

Yes Boston won the season series this year, but we did the same last year and a fat lot of good that did us in the playoffs. The biggest obstacle this team will have should we face Boston again will be mental. If the Leafs play scared or timid based on past history we’ll for sure lose again.

Nope look at Bostons PP op/PK ops home/road and the same for us , i promise, we play the Bs, we will get smoked in that department AGAIN , they will also out tough/grind us and scrum us off our game.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
absolutely.

they gotta get tougher.

This is something players learn, and it can be improve with a tweak here in there in the form of a trade. These guys have played in hard playoff series, round robin competitions before, so they know that it takes another level of commitment to win in do-or-die series.

They need to focus on speed and not be intimidated by any team. They can play with and have beaten the best. There is no match for speed, you can't hit what you cant catch. Leafs must exploit this advantage.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Contenders? Still not sure. Let's wait until after the deadline. I do have faith in Dubas.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Thank goodness we're tied for 4th overall in points and measuring 3rd overall in points %, otherwise I'd swear our team is doomed.
Now for the Rangers, Go Leafs Go!

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
Yep. we are very, very good. Elite.

Legend:

qoc = quality of competition measured by opponents' ice time, sorted into letter grades
Avg p/60 = average of points per 60min and primary points per 60min
Avg pos% = average of corsi for percentage and expected goals for percentage
Avg rel = average of corsi for relative to team and expected goals for relative to team
dsv% = difference between save percentage and expected save percentage

This Year + Last Year, TOR v TBL

51180423_10161357525405029_2572918184646541312_n.jpg
Numbers huh?
Pfffff

FraumBallard

Dec 9, 2018
it depends on the series I guess, but yeah. we might even see games with no powerplays for either team this year, if the way games are called now is any indication
I don't think it's the way games are called.
It's because there is no hitting.
Especially by the super soft Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
TOR Pre-Willy: 50.2cf% (#15), 49.9xgf% (#16)
Willy-Muzzin: 53.5cf% (#5), 54.3xgf% (#5)
Since Muzzin: 55.0cf% (#4), 54.8xgf% (#4)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Regulation Win %

1.TBL .655
2.TOR .630
3.CAL .618
4.SJS .600
5.WPG .582
6.CBJ .574
7.NSH .552
8.NYI .537
9.BOS .527
10.MTL .518
11.DAL .509
12.VGK .509
13.STL .500
14.CAR .491
15.PIT .491
16.WSH .491

Leafs are closer to Tampa than they are to even the 4th placed Sharks here.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Regulation Win %

1.TBL .655
2.TOR .630
3.CAL .618
4.SJS .600
5.WPG .582
6.CBJ .574
7.NSH .552
8.NYI .537
9.BOS .527
10.MTL .518
11.DAL .509
12.VGK .509
13.STL .500
14.CAR .491
15.PIT .491
16.WSH .491

Leafs are closer to Tampa than they are to even the 4th placed Sharks here.

@zeke, thanks for the input. However, I've reached the end of my rope, the negativity that too many present has defeated my willingness to discuss or argue with the masses. OMG we lost a game when we thoughoughly outplayed the opposition and I've got to 'discuss'...they win, I'm too tired to put up with the options. This now is my go to thread, simply because even here, the negativity reigns. Enough, we're not perfect, nobody says we are, but FFS, we're pretty damned good and can do some damage in the playoffs. GLG!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
@zeke, thanks for the input. However, I've reached the end of my rope, the negativity that too many present has defeated my willingness to discuss or argue with the masses. OMG we lost a game when we thoughoughly outplayed the opposition and I've got to 'discuss'...they win, I'm too tired to put up with the options. This now is my go to thread, simply because even here, the negativity reigns. Enough, we're not perfect, nobody says we are, but FFS, we're pretty damned good and can do some damage in the playoffs. GLG!

It’s the regular season. People are concerned about the playoffs where their lack of physical play may get exposed. I assume that intensity and physicality pick up in the playoffs and if the Leafs cant match their opposition and continue to shy away from hits it’ll really hard for them to win.

Reactions: ToneDog

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I hope ESPN is not part of any tv deal. I keep hearing their name every time. As it is now NBC Sports is far and away the best at covering the nhl. That includes CBC and TSN
I see ESPN+ is now covering some NHL games, I remember after the lockout in 04/05 ESPN dropped all the game coverage... hoping for NBCSN to keep the contract as well.. its a good product from them.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I think with new TV deals, Seattle, and the cap increasing, we will have many years to compete for a cup.

However, we are not contenders this season, I think as we start having prospects like Bracco, Marchment (energy guy) Moore, Lily, Sandin, Halowell etc. making the big club, and thriving, this should allow us to be deeper, and harder to play against. I see next year and on as the contending years.

I also think Babs needs to replace some special team coaches, because we are putrid.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I know a lot of us grew up idolizing that version of the Leafs and the players on that team, but man do we ever sound like losers for celebrating a conference finalist nearly 30 years after the fact. It's like if Montreal still dreamed of the 2009 team and the heroics of Mike Cammalleri, Jaro Halak and friends.

Montreal has a a different history than Toronto, its why I shake my head when I see Habs fans claim that they are a suffering fanbase, Habs fans don't know what suffering is, they can't even comprehend the meaning of suffering. Throughout their history they may have finished near the bottom for a few years but somehow it seems like they always do fairly quick retools and are back in contention, just like this year.

You can't compare Montreal in the conference finals in 2009 to the Leafs in 92'-93', Leafs fans have enjoyed significantly less success and its taken us years to simply become a playoff team again never mind cup champ.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
It’s the regular season. People are concerned about the playoffs where their lack of physical play may get exposed. I assume that intensity and physicality pick up in the playoffs and if the Leafs cant match their opposition and continue to shy away from hits it’ll really hard for them to win.

Friend, I'm tired as heck of reading about your takes. Contracts, lack of efforts, Matthews being the prime example. I get it. Of course you are entitled to your opinion. You may be correct. However, based on the title of this thread, is it so hard to move off the negativity and allow others a chance to enjoy what they are seeing this year? I've not bitched about your views, please, allow me one area where I can offer some positive opinions without having to worry about somebody debating whether I'm right or wrong.

Reactions: KIWILEAFFAN

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
it's just so silly to say this.

It is not silly, and before you think that, I am not talking about talent.

I am talking the type of personnel we have, the drive, the motor, the edge. I realize we have a TON of talent, but when teams trap us, pin us in, play the body.... how have we handled it?

Plus special teams are huge in the playoffs, our PP is beyond horrible.

How is any of this silly?

I think we will just be better over the next 3 plus years, we have some nice pieces coming, and the cap will be trending up, so we will be also (hopefully) be able to add.

You can't just dismiss me because we score a lot and have a nice differential during the regular season. Or you can, but I am not just saying this stuff with no thought process behind it.

Reactions: dsred

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It is not silly, and before you think that, I am not talking about talent.

I am talking the type of personnel we have, the drive, the motor, the edge. I realize we have a TON of talent, but when teams trap us, pin us in, play the body.... how have we handled it?

Plus special teams are huge in the playoffs, our PP is beyond horrible.

How is any of this silly?

I think we will just be better over the next 3 plus years, we have some nice pieces coming, and the cap will be trending up, so we will be also (hopefully) be able to add.

You can't just dismiss me because we score a lot and have a nice differential during the regular season. Or you can, but I am not just saying this stuff with no thought process behind it.

You are not wrong but like I said yesterday, we have 2 months to get our sh1t together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad