We are serious contenders!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
You are not wrong but like I said yesterday, we have 2 months to get our sh1t together.

Apparently Zeke thinks we are cup favs, so I should stop posting and not question things, we should win the cup.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I realize we have a TON of talent, but when teams trap us, pin us in, play the body.... how have we handled it?

we have handled it very well.

Plus special teams are huge in the playoffs, our PP is beyond horrible.

The PP ranks 16th.

You can't just dismiss me because we score a lot and have a nice differential during the regular season.

I mean scoring and not getting scored on are pretty good reasons, though.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Apparently Zeke thinks we are cup favs, so I should stop posting and not question things, we should win the cup.

We are a contender but playing like we have I do not consider them serious contenders. Something just does not seem right with this team. They talk the good talk but they do not walk the walk. Reminds me about what they were saying just before the start of the playoffs and then laid eggs in the first 2 games in Boston.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
We are a contender but playing like we have I do not consider them serious contenders. Something just does not seem right with this team. They talk the good talk but they do not walk the walk. Reminds me about what they were saying just before the start of the playoffs and then laid eggs in the first 2 games in Boston.

That's all I was saying, the talent is world class, but we are missing things.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I absolutely think we're serious contenders but whatever, it's a subjective term and there's maybe 10 teams in that category depending on how you define the term.

I think this team can be great but I also understand the concerns that many have about our softness as a team, our lack of grit and wonder if our players have the mental fortitude to excel when the going gets tough so to speak. Zeke can post all the pretty numbers he wants (and I'm pretty sure he did the same before the playoffs last season) but the memory of us getting our asses handed to us with the season on the line is still fresh in my mind. It still boggles my mind that a team with all that talent we had lost the decisive 3rd period 4-0 and since it's mostly the same group of players, it's totally fair IMO to question whether or not this team has what it takes.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
no team "should" win the cup.

even the odds-on #1 favorite to win the cup is more likely not to win it than to win it.

Which I understand.

I know the amazing talent we have. We can score, we have depth, yes we could win, but the team is still seriously flawed. They are missing things.

Yes, not team is perfect, yes any team can win the cup once in the playoffs, but something is still missing.

Our PP has also been 27th since Nov 30th, so we are trending down in that department, we just started at such a high percentage. The D we play in our zone is atrocious at times, and when playoffs tighten up, and when a PP could mean the difference between a win and loss....well they need to do some work.

So contenders, sure, serious, I do not agree yet.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Are you sure. I heard they were 28th on Leaf Lunch.

I'm pretty sure it's 16th but we've been dropping in those rankings like a stone since our scorching hot start. 28th since whatever date is probably right and my guess it that we're dead last in 2019 which is an embarrassment. If we don't get our PP fixed pronto we're going to have a hard time winning a round, that's the bottom line IMO.

Reactions: DanM and ToneDog

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Are you sure. I heard they were 28th on Leaf Lunch.

It has been trending down since Nov, we just started so high, it takes a while to reach bottom.

Not that I don't hope we fix it, I want it back to normal.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's 16th but we've been dropping in those rankings like a stone since our scorching hot start. 28th since whatever date is probably right and my guess it that we're dead last in 2019 which is an embarrassment. If we don't get our PP fixed pronto we're going to have a hard time winning a round, that's the bottom line IMO.

Yep

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I absolutely think we're serious contenders but whatever, it's a subjective term and there's maybe 10 teams in that category depending on how you define the term.

I think this team can be great but I also understand the concerns that many have about our softness as a team, our lack of grit and wonder if our players have the mental fortitude to excel when the going gets tough so to speak. Zeke can post all the pretty numbers he wants (and I'm pretty sure he did the same before the playoffs last season) but the memory of us getting our asses handed to us with the season on the line is still fresh in my mind. It still boggles my mind that a team with all that talent we had lost the decisive 3rd period 4-0 and since it's mostly the same group of players, it's totally fair IMO to question whether or not this team has what it takes.

you realize you'll never be comfortable calling them contenders until after they win a cup, right?

and even then, that might not last through even until the next playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
always trust zeke over leafs lunch.

I'd say that's fair, you're always on the ball with the numbers. I do think that sometimes you put too much stock in what the numbers say and you're also a huge homer at times (not that there's anything wrong with that). :)

Reactions: DanM

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you realize you'll never be comfortable calling them contenders until after they win a cup, right?

and even then, that might not last through even until the next playoffs.

I've been saying we're contenders since early last season.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Which I understand.

I know the amazing talent we have. We can score, we have depth, yes we could win, but the team is still seriously flawed. They are missing things.

Yes, not team is perfect, yes any team can win the cup once in the playoffs, but something is still missing.

Our PP has also been 27th since Nov 30th, so we are trending down in that department, we just started at such a high percentage. The D we play in our zone is atrocious at times, and when playoffs tighten up, and when a PP could mean the difference between a win and loss....well they need to do some work.

So contenders, sure, serious, I do not agree yet.

let's play a game.

you name a serious contender, and I'll point out their flaws.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
let's play a game.

you name a serious contender, and I'll point out their flaws.

I literally just said no team is perfect.

But special teams and defence...... pretty important.

Look at the space opposing teams have out there, yes the game has been opened up, but we allow teams to do what they wants at times, and when Freddy is not in net, I cringe.

We can score all we want, and yes few teams will be able to match that, but if we cannot stop them, how the hell are you going to win the cup?

Yes, we are contenders, but I can't see us winning it until we address a lot of things.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We're for sure a contender. It's 2019, all it takes is getting hot at the right time. On the contrary, another 1st round exit is a disturbing possibility too.

Roster-wise I honestly don't think we're much behind Tampa at all. The gap is closer than the standings say and the biggest difference between us and them is coaching.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
that the leafs are serious contenders.

I agree. We're also in serious danger of going out in the 1st round, especially if we don't fix our PP which has been absolutely pathetic for a very long time now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad