We are serious contenders!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We could beat TB. We could also lose to PIT/WSH/BOS, maybe even MTL (though I like our chances there much better than against the other teams).

I agree we're serious contenders and on paper, the best team we've had since 67. There are a lot of contenders out there though so it won't be easy. Should be a very interesting spring!

There is no way this team loses to Montreal in a 7 game series

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
There is no way this team loses to Montreal in a 7 game series

Why?

They have arguably the best goalie on the planet when he's on his game. An elite #1 defenceman when he's healthy. And could easily get enough production from their forwards to drive us crazy.

I wouldn't bet on it. But it can absolutely happen.

I'd bet on us sweeping them before them beating us.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It was some of the dirtiest hockey anyone remembers. That 02 NYI series was legendary but for all the wrong reasons. Many of those teams were entertaining in a car wreck kind of way...but the entertainment distracted us from the fact we could never land another elite talent for Sundin to help share the leadership and push us over the top.

That was a brutal series. Leafs were lucky to win it, and lucky to not have ambulances behind them. If that series happened today, there would be fines, suspensions and penalties all game. If memory is correct, the Leafs were probably as bad, if not worse than the Islanders in terms of dirty play.

It's weird though. They had the 1-0 series lead on Carolina and looked in such control, and then they lose 3 games in OT that series. The series against the Islanders in particular, and to a lesser degree, the Sens, really took its toll.

It's a constant reminder that winning a Stanley Cup isn't easy.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
That was a brutal series. Leafs were lucky to win it, and lucky to not have ambulances behind them. If that series happened today, there would be fines, suspensions and penalties all game.

It's weird though. They had the 1-0 series lead on Carolina and looked in such control, and then they lose 3 games in OT that series. The series against the Islanders in particular, and to a lesser degree, the Sens, really took its toll.

If that series happened today it'd be responsible for a summit on how to play the game safer.

Meanwhile Alyn MacAuley become one of our best players for a month until it all blew up.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
It was some of the dirtiest hockey anyone remembers. That 02 NYI series was legendary but for all the wrong reasons. Many of those teams were entertaining in a car wreck kind of way...but the entertainment distracted us from the fact we could never land another elite talent for Sundin to help share the leadership and push us over the top.

some of those early 90s playoff games against the wings are on youtube.

everyone should check them out. leafs basically just bearhugged every wing player all over the ice. it's hilarous.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

everyone should check them out. leafs basically just bearhugged every wing player all over the ice. it's hilarous.

Burns was amazing at getting those guys to play the clutch and grab style. Having Clark in his prime to be a 40 goal scoring enforcer certainly didn't hurt.

Weird how they were so defensive yet put up crazy offensive totals like everyone else that season.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

1990's hockey is one of the reason I say that from a pure talent and attributes standpoint, Lemieux is the greatest forward the world has seen. He put up massive numbers with 2 guys on his back. Gretzky had it easy from '79-'85 when Mario wasn't in the league. I am guessing Mario gets 250 points with his same team playing in 1982.

Regardless, yes, 1990's hockey was not memorable from a skill standpoint. Really much of it was unwatchable. It was a handful of really talented, skilled players and a bunch of clutch and grab pylons and morons. Excuse my French.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
1990's hockey is one of the reason I say that from a pure talent and attributes standpoint, Lemieux is the greatest forward the world has seen. He put up massive numbers with 2 guys on his back. Gretzky had it easy from '79-'85 when Mario wasn't in the league. I am guessing Mario gets 250 points with his same team playing in 1982.

Regardless, yes, 1990's hockey was not memorable from a skill standpoint. Really much of it was unwatchable. It was a handful of really talented, skilled players and a bunch of clutch and grab pylons and morons. Excuse my French.

that's fair....though those very early 90s years were pretty awesome. then suddenly everything changed in 1994.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
that's fair....though those very early 90s years were pretty awesome. then suddenly everything changed in 1994.

Once the expansion teams settled in and the talent pool was watered down the coaches started trying to win games 2-1.

NYR and NJ both trapped their way to Cup Finals and used the same system to beat better offensive teams to win championships.

Detroit really changed how they played after losing the 95 finals.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Why?

They have arguably the best goalie on the planet when he's on his game. An elite #1 defenceman when he's healthy. And could easily get enough production from their forwards to drive us crazy.

I wouldn't bet on it. But it can absolutely happen.

I'd bet on us sweeping them before them beating us.

Wh are you serious? center depth is huge in the playoffs, one team has Matthews Tavares and kadri the other is Montreal

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Wh are you serious? center depth is huge in the playoffs, one team has Matthews Tavares and kadri the other is Montreal

Everything is huge in the playoffs.

We didn't lose to Boston because of center depth.

We lost to a style of play. Montreal can play that style a bit with Gallagher and some of their other forwards, a D with a veteran pair like Weber and Petry that can play well, and a dynamite #1 goalie who can literally steal games when he's at his best.

Nobody is arguing that we wouldn't be a huge favorite.

I'm simply saying it's not a 4 straight blowout series some here seem to think it would be. Bigger upsets have happened in the last 12 months in this sport considering what Vegas just did. It shouldn't even need an "Are you serious?" answer because i'm serious that any NHL team COULD beat us in 7.

Could, would, and should are 3 different terms. Montreal absolutely has enough that they could beat us. Doesn't mean they should or would.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
How to phrase this without p*ssing people off...folks, we're good.

Much has been made over the past day or two about how we stack up against the best in the league. I agree that we are are not a clear cut favorite to win anything, but I'd strongly argue that we are better than any Leaf team I've seen in the last 5 decades. Today, right now, this is the best Leaf team I've seen since we won the Cup in '67, for which we we were not the favorite. Our challenge is to defeat some other wonderfully good teams that are in our division so that we might advance to the finals. I believe we can beat: Montreal/Boston/Pittsburgh/Washington, leaving Tampa as the ? mark. That's a seriously good team. But, so are we.

I'll take our C group against any other team.
I love our RW group, better than any other team.
Our LW group is wanting, but offers some scoring and steadiness, while not being a big liability as a group.
With the addition of Muzzin our LD is as solid as anyone's in the league.
Our RD is improved by the addition of Rielly or Muzzin on the R side and Hainsey being more appropriately slotted.
Our goaltending, if not Vezina trophy calibre, is, barring injury, very solid.
We have veterans, middle aged, and youthful talent.
Our coaching, though 'criticizable' is not without merit, while personally I'd argue it is above league average.
In short, we're a solid contender to win the Cup.

I would like to see a bit more 'jam', especially at a F position. Another RD of decent quality would be enjoyed too. However, we are not to be viewed as inferior to most as we stand today. We are a serious contender.

I'd love to see the city, the fans of the Leafs, rally behind this team as it stands now and lend it the support which will urge it forward. I'd love to see the fans at SBC stand up and cheer this group, a team on the cusp. I'll acknowledge nothing is guaranteed, that a tweak here or there could certainly strengthen the team. But, I'll ask Leaf fans to recognize that we're as close as we've been since Gilmour in '93.

Some might argue that a fan base's impact on a team's performance means nothing. I disagree. I'll argue all day long that the more support we offer this team the more this team will play to its potential. There are enough Leaf players from the area who will be jacked should the fans jump on the wagon. Marleau, Tavares, Marner, Hyman, Brown, Muzzin, Kadri...a third of the team will be pumped through the roof knowing the everlasting impact that is close at hand...they will drive the others on the team to greater heights.

We're serious contenders, folks. Let's give this team all the support we can to help them, and us, realize a dream.

I thought you were contenders last year. Had you vs Vegas in the finals in my bracket (I'll admit that Vegas was a homer pick--I was as surprised as you probably were). You've made a couple moves that I think give you the most talent in the league. I hope your team puts it together before the playoffs (but not before you play in Vegas next week).

I don't get the common hate toward the Leafs at all. Sure there are some overzealous fans, but don't we all have those?

Reactions: Gary Nylund

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

We lost to a style of play. Montreal can play that style a bit with Gallagher and some of their other forwards, a D with a veteran pair like Weber and Petry that can play well, and a dynamite #1 goalie who can literally steal games when he's at his best.

I'm simply saying it's not a 4 straight blowout series some here seem to think it would be. Bigger upsets have happened in the last 12 months in this sport considering what Vegas just did. It shouldn't even need an "Are you serious?" answer because i'm serious that any NHL team COULD beat us in 7.

Could, would, and should are 3 different terms. Montreal absolutely has enough that they could beat us. Doesn't mean they should or would.

As it currently stands Montreal has a 0% chance they'd be out in 5 games.

In fact the ONLY team I'm concerned with is Tampa, I don't even think Boston beats this Leaf team, not with Tavares and Muzzin added

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm not being ridiculous Toronto would slaughter them in 5, and I'm only saying 5 because I don't like to predict sweeps but a sweep wouldn't shock me.

A sweep wouldn't shock me either but saying MTL has 0% of beating us is one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

Reactions: Jack Bauer

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
They did it with one line, this Leafs team has four. There was nothing flashy about that defense, but they played hard and they played to keep the puck out of the net.

Though of course, that Leafs team was pure heart, grind and shutdown. If this team could foster that commitment to playing hard every shift, shutting down the oppositions best and playing with desperation every night, I have no doubt, this team would win the Cup. Rather easily too.

See, i believe you either have it in you or you don't , i watch Boston and they have that in spades.

They "supposedly" screwed up "MASSIVELY", moving out "skilled/talented players , who did not have IT" and here they are nipping at the heals of the team that "made all the right moves" and they have booted us when winning actually matters.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Doesn’t mean anything. Even 2013 is meaningless, let alone 1959. Heck, even last year is not indicative of this year. We’re better this year.

BAHAHAHAHA! Talk about shenanigans

We have not played the habs in the POs in 40 EFFN years

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

We lost to Boston due to insane power plays dis advantages. Bostons firts 2 home games they got 10 PPs , our first 2 home dates we got 2 , Bostons next 2 homes date they got 8 pps , we got 3 home PPs

18 home PPs to 5 LOLZZZZZZZZZZ
15 was our total PP home and away

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We lost to Boston due to insane power plays dis advantages. Bostons firts 2 home games they got 10 PPs , our first 2 home dates we got 2 , Bostons next 2 homes date they got 8 pps , we got 3 home PPs

18 home PPs to 5 LOLZZZZZZZZZZ
15 was our total PP home and away

We also got screwed over with an outrageous Kadri suspension, when players have been punished more leniently for worse offences (and the trend looks lik it’ll continue given Parros’ Hyman suspension decision earlier this year).

But beyond that, Andersen played well below his capabilities that series, and Matthews was battling an injury throughout.

We’ve now added Tavares, Muzzin, and have another year of experience under our belts. And, if the Leafs can hold on, will have home ice advantage. Boston hasn’t added anything significant (yet) and their roster remains largely the same.

Yes Boston won the season series this year, but we did the same last year and a fat lot of good that did us in the playoffs. The biggest obstacle this team will have should we face Boston again will be mental. If the Leafs play scared or timid based on past history we’ll for sure lose again.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
That was a brutal series. Leafs were lucky to win it, and lucky to not have ambulances behind them. If that series happened today, there would be fines, suspensions and penalties all game. If memory is correct, the Leafs were probably as bad, if not worse than the Islanders in terms of dirty play.

And it Shouldn’t be easy.

I fear with the current trend we may not even get good hard playoff hockey in a couple of years. That’d be a shame

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
besides muzzin there are no bangers on this team

and each and every year everyone forgets, that the team with the least amount of bangers is eliminated in the spring one way or the other

this is a hyper-talented team but also a hyper-soft team and will get thrown around like wedding flowers in the playoffs

and yet again, this WILL be their downfall this year i'm afraid

unless of course, they address this 'very real' problem by the trade deadline.......................

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Team genuinely is mediocre, maybe top 10 in the league on a good day. Contender? Not likely, they can barely play consistent for more than 2 games before someone demands to get paid an extra few million. At the end of the day, this team is and will be destroyed by inflated egos, from Babcock to all the little shits asking for more than they are worth.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
besides muzzin there are no bangers on this team

and each and every year everyone forgets, that the team with the least amount of bangers is eliminated in the spring one way or the other

this is a hyper-talented team but also a hyper-soft team and will get thrown around like wedding flowers in the playoffs

and yet again, this WILL be their downfall this year i'm afraid

unless of course, they address this 'very real' problem by the trade deadline.......................

It’s not just bangers. It’s about guys working hard and skating to get into position to receive a pass. It’s quite common to see one guy working hard with the puck buck has no one to pass to because the others are standing around or being easily checked. They’re a terrific perimeter team but they need to step up and play harder on the puck. If they don’t itll be another early exit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->