We are serious contenders!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I still think the notion that the leafs underachieved in the playoffs the last two years, when they took two superior teams with home ice advantage to their limit, is a bit off.

this year is looking like the first year we're actually going to be the favorite in a series, with home ice advantage, in almost 20yrs.

you'd be surprised to learn how few times those leafs teams you remember fondly actually won a series without home ice advantage.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Doesn’t mean anything. Even 2013 is meaningless, let alone 1959. Heck, even last year is not indicative of this year. We’re better this year.
And that means nothing either until you do it.
If you’re better, win.

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
Doesn’t mean anything. Even 2013 is meaningless, let alone 1959. Heck, even last year is not indicative of this year. We’re better this year.

I agree, but it just looks like we’re cursed against this team.

Nothing matters but the game in front of you. However sometimes past results make me feel like we have a curse against us when it comes to the team with that stupid B on their chest

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
I still think the notion that the leafs underachieved in the playoffs the last two years, when they took two superior teams with home ice advantage to their limit, is a bit off.

this year is looking like the first year we're actually going to be the favorite in a series, with home ice advantage, in almost 20yrs.

you'd be surprised to learn how few times those leafs teams you remember fondly actually won a series without home ice advantage.

We beat Ottawa without home ice advantage at least once, I’m sure of it

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
04: TOR beats OTT with homeice, TOR loses to PHI without homeice
03: TOR loses to PHI without homeice
02: TOR beats NYI with homeice, TOR beats OTT with homeice, TOR loses to CAR without homeice
01: TOR beats OTT without homeice, TOR loses to NJD without homeice
00: TOR beats OTT with homeice, TOR loses to NJD without homeice
99: TOR beats PHI with homeice, TOR beats PIT with homeice, TOR loses to BUF with homeice
98:
97:
96: TOR loses to STL with homeice
95: TOR loses to CHI without homeice
94: TOR beats CHI with homeice, TOR beats SJS with homeice, TOR loses to VAN with homeice
93: TOR beats DET without homeice, TOR beats STL with homeice, TOR loses to LAK with homeice

So only twice in all those years did those great "gritty" leafs teams you guys remember actually beat a team ranked higher than them in the standings (in red), without home ice advantage. Even worse, 4 times they lost a series despite having home ice advantage (in orange), and it's 5 times they lost to teams lower in the standings than them when you include "division leading" carolina.

In reality, those great gritty leafs teams you remember choked far more often than they upset anyone. The only time they were able to upset anyone was using every ounce of the veteran savvy to oust two young super skilled teams who were known for their choking at that time (and had choked against other lesser teams too), but who both went on to learn from it and enjoy plenty of playoff success in the following years.

In contrast, this current super young super skilled leafs core losing two supertight series against superior teams with home ice advantage actually looks impressive.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
If Andersen plays as he has in the last two playoff rounds, we could possibly lose in the first round again, even with this seasons team

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
02: TOR beats NYI with homeice, TOR beats OTT with homeice, TOR loses to CAR without homeice
99: TOR beats PHI with homeice, TOR beats PIT with homeice, TOR loses to BUF with homeice
98:
97:
94: TOR beats CHI with homeice, TOR beats SJS with homeice, TOR loses to VAN with homeice
93: TOR beats DET without homeice, TOR beats STL with homeice, TOR loses to LAK with homeice

So only twice in all those years did those great "gritty" leafs teams you guys remember actually beat a team ranked higher than them in the standings (in red), without home ice advantage. Even worse, 4 times they lost a series despite having home ice advantage (in orange), and it's 5 times they lost to teams lower in the standings than them when you include "division leading" carolina.

In reality, those great gritty leafs teams you remember choked far more often than they upset anyone. The only time they were able to upset anyone was using every ounce of the veteran savvy to oust two young super skilled teams who were known for their choking at that time (and had choked against other lesser teams too), but who both went on to learn from it and enjoy plenty of playoff success in the following years.

In contrast, this current super young super skilled leafs core losing two supertight series against superior teams with home ice advantage actually looks impressive.

You weren’t around to watch those teams?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If Andersen plays as he has in the last two playoff rounds, we could possibly lose in the first round again, even with this seasons team

A lot of goalies give up soft goals in the playoffs. Last year I think every one of them had a stinker at some point. However, in both years Freddy gave up really soft goals in multiple games and at inopportune times.
He needs to be better, for sure.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I watched every minute. why?

You said, “ In reality, those great gritty leafs teams you remember choked far more often than they upset anyone.” I would of thought you would have included yourself if you watched them.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You said, “ In reality, those great gritty leafs teams you remember choked far more often than they upset anyone.” I would of thought you would have included yourself if you watched them.

ah I see.

I was referring to the memories people had of them being so gritty and clutchy that they stepped UP in the playoffs, when really, when you look at it, overall they had more chokes than upsets.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
ah I see.

I was referring to the memories people had of them being so gritty and clutchy that they stepped UP in the playoffs, when really, when you look at it, overall they had more chokes than upsets.

I remember the other teams being better and in lot of cases tougher.
There’s no denying some of those teams were gritty and combined with their skill were actually entertaining to watch.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
98:
97:

It wasn't just the grit, it was their defensive mindedness. Any team that can shut down the opposition has a chance to beat any team, even if they can only score a goal or two. I think of the Habs deep playoff runs the last decade, they shut down the opposition.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Still too close to call IMO. I hope it happens though of course and I hope our opponent is MTL.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I remember the other teams being better and in lot of cases tougher.
There’s no denying some of those teams were gritty and combined with their skill were actually entertaining to watch.

It was some of the dirtiest hockey anyone remembers. That 02 NYI series was legendary but for all the wrong reasons. Many of those teams were entertaining in a car wreck kind of way...but the entertainment distracted us from the fact we could never land another elite talent for Sundin to help share the leadership and push us over the top.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I think they’re definitely serious contenders. I just wish Dubas and Co planned things better so the window is open longer. The lineup for next season looks pretty dim unless Johnsson and Kapanen take HUGE discounts. Remember Johnsson signed his qualifying offer last summer instead of doing a deal so he has arbitration rights this summer

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think they’re definitely serious contenders. I just wish Dubas and Co planned things better so the window is open longer. The lineup for next season looks pretty dim unless Johnsson and Kapanen take HUGE discounts. Remember Johnsson signed his qualifying offer last summer instead of doing a deal so he has arbitration rights this summer

I’ve always felt 2020 was the “target year” to go “all in”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad