We are serious contenders!

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
How to phrase this without p*ssing people off...folks, we're good.

Much has been made over the past day or two about how we stack up against the best in the league. I agree that we are are not a clear cut favorite to win anything, but I'd strongly argue that we are better than any Leaf team I've seen in the last 5 decades. Today, right now, this is the best Leaf team I've seen since we won the Cup in '67, for which we we were not the favorite. Our challenge is to defeat some other wonderfully good teams that are in our division so that we might advance to the finals. I believe we can beat: Montreal/Boston/Pittsburgh/Washington, leaving Tampa as the ? mark. That's a seriously good team. But, so are we.

I'll take our C group against any other team.
I love our RW group, better than any other team.
Our LW group is wanting, but offers some scoring and steadiness, while not being a big liability as a group.
With the addition of Muzzin our LD is as solid as anyone's in the league.
Our RD is improved by the addition of Rielly or Muzzin on the R side and Hainsey being more appropriately slotted.
Our goaltending, if not Vezina trophy calibre, is, barring injury, very solid.
We have veterans, middle aged, and youthful talent.
Our coaching, though 'criticizable' is not without merit, while personally I'd argue it is above league average.
In short, we're a solid contender to win the Cup.

I would like to see a bit more 'jam', especially at a F position. Another RD of decent quality would be enjoyed too. However, we are not to be viewed as inferior to most as we stand today. We are a serious contender.

I'd love to see the city, the fans of the Leafs, rally behind this team as it stands now and lend it the support which will urge it forward. I'd love to see the fans at SBC stand up and cheer this group, a team on the cusp. I'll acknowledge nothing is guaranteed, that a tweak here or there could certainly strengthen the team. But, I'll ask Leaf fans to recognize that we're as close as we've been since Gilmour in '93.

Some might argue that a fan base's impact on a team's performance means nothing. I disagree. I'll argue all day long that the more support we offer this team the more this team will play to its potential. There are enough Leaf players from the area who will be jacked should the fans jump on the wagon. Marleau, Tavares, Marner, Hyman, Brown, Muzzin, Kadri...a third of the team will be pumped through the roof knowing the everlasting impact that is close at hand...they will drive the others on the team to greater heights.

We're serious contenders, folks. Let's give this team all the support we can to help them, and us, realize a dream.

I agree and have been very excited watching this team until the last 11 games in which we've only scored 27 goals (not counting the 3 empty netters) which is 2.45GFA with a record of 4-7-0. I sure hope these boys get out of that lack of scoring slump (especially PP) and losing to bottom feeders before it gets any worse. Hopefully that game against the Caps is a good sign of whats to come.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Those numbers are cool Zeke. I'll be honest though, wins and losses are much more important and I'd be more impressed if weren't so far behind them in the standings.
the biggest difference between Tampa and the Leafs is that Tampa can draw penalties (and have a better PP I suppose) at 5v5, the teams are extremely comparable. and playoffs are mostly figured out with 5v5 play

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
the biggest difference between Tampa and the Leafs is that Tampa can draw penalties (and have a better PP I suppose) at 5v5, the teams are extremely comparable. and playoffs are mostly figured out with 5v5 play

Are they? I'd be curious to see some data on that, I'm skeptical. The way I see it (and I could be wrong of course) is that goals are hard to come by in the playoffs. Teams check harder, tighten up the D etc. and there are a lot of close games. Special teams are often the key to victory and that's why I was so excited earlier in the season when we were killing it - a dominant PP can go a long way in the playoffs. And that's why I'm so unhappy that our PP has sucked badly as of late. And our PK could be better too.

5on5 play is important, hell every aspect of the game is important but in the playoffs, what's especially important IMO is special team play and most of all, goaltending.

Reactions: Vaive50

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Are they? I'd be curious to see some data on that, I'm skeptical. The way I see it (and I could be wrong of course) is that goals are hard to come by in the playoffs. Teams check harder, tighten up the D etc. and there are a lot of close games. Special teams are often the key to victory and that's why I was so excited earlier in the season when we were killing it - a dominant PP can go a long way in the playoffs. And that's why I'm so unhappy that our PP has sucked badly as of late. And our PK could be better too.

5on5 play is important, hell every aspect of the game is important but in the playoffs, what's especially important IMO is special team play and most of all, goaltending.
it depends on the series I guess, but yeah. we might even see games with no powerplays for either team this year, if the way games are called now is any indication

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
it depends on the series I guess, but yeah. we might even see games with no powerplays for either team this year, if the way games are called now is any indication

When you do get a PP chance though, it's just so huge when you can score. You get that goal that's so hard to come by at even strength ... I really hope our PP gets it going again. I think it will, and I love the idea of Gardiner and Muzzin together. That was always a great way to score IMO, get it to the point, get a couple of bodies in front of the net, get a shot through and good things happen. And we do this pretty much never. I'll be looking forward to see if Muzzin can help us get the PP going, you never know, If Muzzin's point shot proves to be an asset you just might see him moved the the top unit switching places with Kadri, we'll see.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
When you do get a PP chance though, it's just so huge when you can score. You get that goal that's so hard to come by at even strength ... I really hope our PP gets it going again. I think it will, and I love the idea of Gardiner and Muzzin together. That was always a great way to score IMO, get it to the point, get a couple of bodies in front of the net, get a shot through and good things happen. And we do this pretty much never. I'll be looking forward to see if Muzzin can help us get the PP going, you never know, If Muzzin's point shot proves to be an asset you just might see him moved the the top unit switching places with Kadri, we'll see.
Muzzin's kind of sucked on the PP this year, but the whole Kings' PP has been trash. he was a top 3 player on the Kings' PP last year. he has a good shot and can make some nice passes.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Until our Leafs beat the teams they should beat, and, hang well with the elite teams, I'll wait til they do before I get too excited about them being a serious contender for a Stanley Cup.

More consistency is needed from the coaches and players. JMHO.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Those numbers are cool Zeke. I'll be honest though, wins and losses are much more important and I'd be more impressed if weren't so far behind them in the standings.
No team worries me in a best of 7. You use the 82 games to iron out your deficiencies.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I thought this was a good view of how the Leafs and Lightning stack up against each other at 5v5:

LeafsLightning5v5.JPG

The main difference between the two teams being that Tampa's 5v5 goaltending has been sub-par, even though they do a good job of controlling possession and limiting high danger changes against.

Leafs are superior:
GA/60
5v5 Sv%

Tampa's superior:
HDCA/60

Too close to call:
CF%
GF/60
GF%
HDCF/60
HDCF%
5v5 Sh%

Reactions: stickty111

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015

On a positive note about that is that we know we've got the talent (and yes that included Nylander) and we know how dominant they were on the PP for the first 35 games. So it's cool that this lack of PP plus their 5 on 5 scoring is happening at a time when they can work out the kinks and hopefully go into the playoffs clicking on all cylinders (defense, goaltending, offense, special teams).

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Bettman needs all American teams in the semis and finals. For American TV ratings. The Vegas thing last year was money in the bank for the NHL. He will not tolerate a decline in ratings. Betting men will take Boston, especially the games in Boston.

Reactions: AreBe

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Bettman needs all American teams in the semis and finals. For American TV ratings. The Vegas thing last year was money in the bank for the NHL. He will not tolerate a decline in ratings. Betting men will take Boston, especially the games in Boston.
Well the Rogers deal is up in 2025 so we might have to sneak a Canadian team in there once or twice

Might as well be the Rogers’ owned Leafs.

THAT would make for good main forum posting.

PemIceKing

Dec 23, 2011
Best thing is we still have players in the cupboard and draft picks. Muzzin if he can keep doing what he did in LA is worth the 1st rounder. If he produces and resigns even better.
Go Leafs!

Reactions: Al14

HOF Paul Henderson

Jan 16, 2019
When we picked up Ron Francis for a playoff run. Whichever year that was. I felt we had a great team then.

When we had Brian Leech, Owen Nolan, Sundin, Eddie the Eagle in net, McCabe when he could canopener, I think Kaberle too...who else... that was a really excellent team. I think we lost to Phillidelphia that year in the semi final.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Leafs D as is still isn't enough to compete with the top east teams. One more top four would push Zaitsev into the bottom pairing and be enough.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Haha it was nothing against you man, I'm every bit the optimist you are, and I've been convinced since last year already that we are a contender for the next 8 years

Gary was right... Definitely a general shot HFleafs emotions

I never took it as such, friend, though upon review me using the word "I" would certainly lead to thinking I did. It's all good.

This group hasn't won one playoff round and people are actually envisioning them winning four in a row now?

I'm sorry but expectations need to be managed here.

Why do expectations have to be managed? I'm a fan of this team, I believe in the talent we have. I believe they can go all the way. I'm not going to fall into a state of depression if they lose. I'm going to enjoy the ride, which I think can be a long one. And, I'm tired of sitting on the fence, hemming and hawing, worrying about this and that. I know they're not going to win every game from here to the end, but darn it, I'm backing the boys in blue and I'm going to have fun doing it. You're entitled to your opinion, let me enjoy mine :)

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The 92/93 team was one win from the Cup final

I know a lot of us grew up idolizing that version of the Leafs and the players on that team, but man do we ever sound like losers for celebrating a conference finalist nearly 30 years after the fact. It's like if Montreal still dreamed of the 2009 team and the heroics of Mike Cammalleri, Jaro Halak and friends.

Reactions: exporta

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know a lot of us grew up idolizing that version of the Leafs and the players on that team, but man do we ever sound like losers for celebrating a conference finalist nearly 30 years after the fact. It's like if Montreal still dreamed of the 2009 team and the heroics of Mike Cammalleri, Jaro Halak and friends.

True enough, but I still find that a little better than two first round exits especially considering the team was literally too scared to play.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
True enough, but I still find that a little better than two first round exits especially considering the team was literally too scared to play.

Not comparing, just hoping we have better things to cheer for in the next little while.

Also interesting how people always sleep on the 1994, 1999 and 2002 teams.

Reactions: exporta

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Not comparing, just hoping we have better things to cheer for in the next little while.

Also interesting how people always sleep on the 1994, 1999 and 2002 teams.

Those teams were good too, but that 93 playoff series with Kngs was unbelievable.

Funny thing, Bill Berg, Peter Zezel and Mark Osborne, were more entertaining than anyone on this current team.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
The main board is toxic! every single poster shitting on the Leafs and offer sheets

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

interesting how that goes though.

92-93: 8th place - beat 5th, beat 16th, lost to 11th
93-94: 5th place - beat 13th, beat 16th, lost to 14th

that team only managed to win one series they weren't the favorite in, only played one other top 10 team in the playoffs, and that was against the young wings who choked every year back then. and then the leafs choked against 2 inferior teams in the conference finals both years.

16-17: 14th place - lost to 1st place
17-18: 7th place - lost to 4th place

those leafs teams never faced teams as good as this leafs team has faced so far. and this leafs team has never lost in the playoffs to teams as bad as that leafs team did.

and that leafs team was a prime aged vet team. not a bunch of babies like this team.

Gilmour 29 -------- Gilmour 30
Andreychuk 29 - Andreychuk 30
Clark 26 ------------ Clark 27

Cullen 28 ----------- Cullen 29
Anderson 32 ------ Gartner 34
Borchevsky 28 --- Borchevsky 29

Zezel 27 ------------- Zezel 28
Osborne 31 --------- Osborne 31
Berg 25 --------------- Berg 26

Krusher 32 ---------- Eastwood 26
Foligno 34 ----------- Pearson 22
Pearson 21 ---------- Manderville 22