We are serious contenders!

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Seems to come from Oilers fans a lot, you'd think they would have other things to worry about right now

This is going to come across as condescending but I'm sure it's frustrating to get four 1st overalls in six years, being ahead of most teams in the rebuild, and then having both Toronto and provincial rival Calgary ahead of you while the best player in the league wastes some of his prime years.

McDavid is better than Matthews no doubt. But Matthews is about to have his third playoffs in 3 years while McDavid is about to go 1/3 (and that's in no way his fault.) That's gotta hurt, even if McDavid lead them to a series win.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
A) He would have to sign an offer sheet.
B) If he signs one, he will be villified for the rest of his career no matter what the outcome. Screwing the team and fanbase he grew up cheering for.

Yes, but the offer sheet won’t be presented unless they agreed upon the term and dollars through a negotiation process.

Point B- it’s a business. If it gets to July, that’s IF it gets to July...if it does that means they haven’t agreed on an extension. The absolute smart thing to do would be to talk to other teams when they call.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Looking back at a few of the PGTs, there's no doubt that a good number of 'Leaf' fans are more concerned with addressing issues that are well beyond their control, than they are enjoying those moments when the team succeeds. I'm at a loss. Our fans seem to need a reason to b*tch, sorry but it's true, as opposed to enjoying what it is we are watching this year and last, and hopefully next year as well. I cannot understand why. We've a good team, decently positioned and very likely moving forward after a lull in our scoring. Yet people persist in slagging the: coach, player 'x', 'y' or 'z' at the expense of enjoying our overall success. And, folks, it is success. We're not in the bottom half of the league, we're, in spite of a slump, doing well. Let's enjoy this sh*t, it's what we've dreamed of...a contender.

Reactions: hoglund

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Bettman needs all American teams in the semis and finals. For American TV ratings. The Vegas thing last year was money in the bank for the NHL. He will not tolerate a decline in ratings. Betting men will take Boston, especially the games in Boston.
Just like the NBA, the NHL is a business but unlike the NBA, the NHL is located in many indifferent markets
Bettman knows and understands that NBA is fixated on star calls and on keeping TV networks happy, which is why so many NBA finals have a California and Northeast team in them and always at least one top 10 market, this is not fluke but by design and it is obvious to see you do not need a bionic eye like Steve Austin!
It was not by mistake when the high stick on Gilmour by Gretzky was not called and it will not be by mistake when the Canadian teams get the lousy calls in the playoffs, Bettman knows that the NHL must be less gate driven, he must listen to the American TV networks and respect their orders or Bettman and his staff will be drawn and quartered on various Madison avenue carpets!
But skill can still win, and even the NBA cannot stop San Antonio winning or make sure the New York teams are always good, crooked officiating cannot always prevail, but the skill must be that much better, and work hard to the point of exhaustion!
Let me tell you what you don't want to know: Canada has a Stanley cup - and not hockey- culture, and the Stanley Cup is awarded by a large business, the NHL, and the NHL is mostly American and is in many at best marginal, sunbelt , football- mad, NASCAR watching, markets, and the NHL needs to stop being so gate driven and must increase TV ratings, which means - as the NHL like the NBA is sports business and not boy scouts- the NHL must listen to the TV notworks . Your precious little Stanley Cup awarding hockey league is corrupt! Your cultural institution is corrupt! Hey Canadian suckers: You are nothing but big targets!

Last edited:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
This is probably the most talented Leaf team in decades. I have no issue with that assessment. Is it the best? Not quite as sure. I'm not placing this team ahead of teams that actually got to conference finals until they can at least escape the first round.

They are a good team. We'll find out if they are actually contenders later.

Reactions: AreBe

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Still one thing bothering me.

Gardiner/Zaitsev have been trash and one of the biggest factors in us going .500 over the last 20 or so games.

After the trade, they're still together.

Is the defensive upgrade as big as we think? I feel a tad insecure still.

I mean, Rielly/Hainsey are both +23. It's not like they were getting smashed. The major issue was the bottom 4.

Until Dubas trades for another D for the second pairing I feel more confident splitting Rielly and Muzzin up. That means for 2/3 to 3/4 of the game, one or the other will be on the ice instead of 1/3 of Gardiner/Zaitsev.

I guess we'll see tonight and tomorrow how things go, then Dubas/Babcock can reassess.

I think Muzzin is absolutely where he should be, but I do believe there is a strong argument one of two things needs to happen:

1.) Hainsey goes with Gardiner to help stabilize that pairing.
2.) Gardiner/Zaitsev play less minutes as Dermott/Hainsey take on more

I think both can be workable solutions to the problem

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Update:

51440172_10161374339625029_4458592390197805056_o.jpg

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
It's the most talented leaf team of my life which consisted of Doug Gilmour, Mats Sundin and Alexandre Mogilny. Darn tootin' we're contenders.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
This is going to come across as condescending but I'm sure it's frustrating to get four 1st overalls in six years, being ahead of most teams in the rebuild, and then having both Toronto and provincial rival Calgary ahead of you while the best player in the league wastes some of his prime years.

McDavid is better than Matthews no doubt. But Matthews is about to have his third playoffs in 3 years while McDavid is about to go 1/3 (and that's in no way his fault.) That's gotta hurt, even if McDavid lead them to a series win.

1/4 actually. I would imagine he'd like to get the heck out of there.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Ok, after a couple of days of digesting the Matthews contract, reading a good number of articles about how it affects the team moving forward and how it impacts the Marner deal I guess I'd have to say that I'm not as disappointed as I initially was. What I didn't take into sufficient consideration is the direction in which the league is moving; that younger players are consuming ever larger %s of Cap space, that this trend is accelerating and that while it will support the growth in 2nd contract values, Matthew's deal will not be the only one to have this effect. Some might consider this to be an apologist's take on the result, some may see it as the Leafs (and here I'd suggest that it's not Dubas alone: they've two of the certified 'cap experts' in Pridham and Gilman) trying to get ahead of the curve. Regardless, I think it's now safe to assume that Marner is going to be a well played young man in the near future. Ideally, I would have preferred seeing all of Nylander/Matthews and soon to be Marner signing for less than they did/will, but effectively we're seeing the Leafs still remain very competitive this year (serious contenders ;)) while being squeezed next year more than I'd like, but with the certainty of knowing that the following years, 2-5 of the Matthews' contract, the Leafs will have maintained a substantial portion of the core which the fan base has considered extremely talented.

If the contract landscape is shifting, which it appears to be, than it will be the Kadris and Gardiners of the new NHL Cap structure who are going to suffer. Make your hay before you're 28/9 and expect to see a drop in your value as you get older. These young kids are coming in with talent and fewer reservations as to their value and I think we're going to see the group this year leaving RFA status confirm the trend.

To this end, and being no cap expert, I suspect the Leafs may change their approach at the TDL this year. A rental may be more a consideration this year than it was prior to the Matthews deal. Next year will be tough, but at the right cost I'd argue that an expiring deal for the right player might be the way Dubas and company try to maximize this year's team's chances, unless you can offload Zaitsev.

We're 2nd in our conference, with a small gap growing, 4th overall in the league and 3rd ROW. Our next 10 games: Montreal/Rangers/Colorado/Vegas/Arizona/St. Louis/Washington/Montreal/Buffalo/Edmonton from which our only back to back is this Sunday against the Rangers following Montreal Saturday night. I consider all these winnable, but realize that would be an unlikely run if due to nothing but 'this is sport' logic. However, should the Leafs show some solid success in the next 5 game segment, I'm hoping the front office goes all in and tries it's best to secure a player they believe is an upgrade. Muzzin is a peach, Matthews clears up concerns, Marner will sign, we've got a solid core and support group, my fingers are crossed and my hopes are growing. Gawd it's fun being a fan of this team.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The 92/93 team was one win from the Cup final

They did it with one line, this Leafs team has four. There was nothing flashy about that defense, but they played hard and they played to keep the puck out of the net.

Though of course, that Leafs team was pure heart, grind and shutdown. If this team could foster that commitment to playing hard every shift, shutting down the oppositions best and playing with desperation every night, I have no doubt, this team would win the Cup. Rather easily too.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I’d love to start winning cups this year. We have one of the very best rosters in the league right now, but other teams will eventually catch up. Someone is drafting Jack Hughes at #1 and it won’t be us. Someone is drafting that Lafreniere kid at #1. Other teams will eventually find out their 2015 and 2016 picks pan out, when we’ve already accounted for Matthews and Marner.

I’d like the management talk of “we’re not there yet” to stop. We should start expecting a championship run this spring, and not later.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They did it with one line, this Leafs team has four. There was nothing flashy about that defense, but they played hard and they played to keep the puck out of the net.

Though of course, that Leafs team was pure heart, grind and shutdown. If this team could foster that commitment to playing hard every shift, shutting down the oppositions best and playing with desperation every night, I have no doubt, this team would win the Cup. Rather easily too.

A couple of lines.

But boy they worked hard. If this team would put forth the effort that team did they’d fun to watch.

Last edited:

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I’d love to start winning cups this year. We have one of the very best rosters in the league right now, but other teams will eventually catch up. Someone is drafting Jack Hughes at #1 and it won’t be us. Someone is drafting that Lafreniere kid at #1. Other teams will eventually find out their 2015 and 2016 picks pan out, when we’ve already accounted for Matthews and Marner.

I’d like the management talk of “we’re not there yet” to stop. We should start expecting a championship run this spring, and not later.

Yes. First, they must win a round. Once they win a round, they might even be considered the favourite. I think that quietly, management believes this team can win the Cup, I believe they can too if they commit themselves to relentless playoff hockey.

That's how strong teams become Championship teams. They have to prove they can win in the NHL, most of them have won at other levels. It starts with one round.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
We are regular season contenders.
Sorry, need to see it in the playoffs before I subscribe to it.
Need to show me something other than a 1st round exit.

Indeed. I remember the Detroit Red Wings went through this for about a decade with Yzerman as Centre, he took the bulk of the heat for their playoff failures and he was almost traded more than once. Luckily for them, pre-cap era, the team stuck with him and they continued to grow and become better.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Yes. First, they must win a round. Once they win a round, they might even be considered the favourite. I think that quietly, management believes this team can win the Cup, I believe they can too if they commit themselves to relentless playoff hockey.

That's how strong teams become Championship teams. They have to prove they can win in the NHL, most of them have won at other levels. It starts with one round.

We’re in a different stage of our development than last year, whether or not we beat Boston in game 7. We could win the cup this year, or we could go out in the 1st round again. Anything’s possible.

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Only if you are a homer
There is no way this team with this coaching system will get us deep into playoffs

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I think with some internal tinkering and adjustments we can be a team that is reckoned with this year.

I personally think that we need to split up Gardiner and Zaitsev. I agree with what some are saying. Pairing Gardiner with someone like Hainsey may be benefical for player and team if we want to maximize what Gardiner can be. Increase their minutes as a second pairing behind Muzzin/Reilly and see what happens. I have liked Dermott/Zaitsev pairing in the little they have played together. Feel they are more decent then Gardiner/Zaitsev.

The last tinker I would do internally is replace Lindholm in lineup with Moore. Or Goat with Moore. I have liked Moore's game, adds some grit and speed like Brown to our lineup. Would like to see a Moore-Goat-Brown or Moore-Lindholm-Brown tried out more often in the last 29 games. I think those lines would be better for the playoffs then both Goat and Lindholm in the lineup.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad