We are in phase 2 of the rebuild, next year we need to contend for the playoffs

Are Pierre's thoughts on the rebuild accurate?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I am not too optimistic. You need a good dose of luck. On top of those high draft picks panning out, you are going to need some unexpected players to make an impact. Could Duclair be part of that luck factor?

OIlers and Sabres have had so many top picks. Devils too. This is why I hate rebuilds because there really isn't a blueprint of success. Pittsburgh was extremely lucky with winning the draft lottery, and getting Malkin as well. Oilers have arguably had the same impact players but they suck endlessly.

This could be long, especially if they rush the Killer Bs to Ottawa.
I would say, suck as bad as you can for another couple of top 3 picks, keep the kids in Bellvegas and you may be able to jump the "Phase 3" and bypass phase 2 entirely.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I would say, suck as bad as you can for another couple of top 3 picks, keep the kids in Bellvegas and you may be able to jump the "Phase 3" and bypass phase 2 entirely.
This has to be the best plan. Can they say that in front of the mic? Obviously not. But saying young guys will play, they won't be active in July, how can people expect a team that won't be a lottery team? They may hit 75 points if everything goes well. But leave the Killer Bs in Belleville and graduate Paul and Chlapik, who will be replaced by Norris and Formenton in Belleville.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Oilers have arguably had the same impact players but they suck endlessly

The Oilers being bad is a result of their front office being a shit show. They continually failed to surround their young talent with vets that could contribute, and sucked mightily at finding talent outside of the first round. Just goes to show how important management is. There's been enough talent there for a long while, but management continually fails to capitalize on it. Same can be said for the Sabres. Housley is a garbage coach, and they're on their second GM since drafting Eichel. I think Buffalo will be fine if they can find a good head coach. There's no shortage of talent there.

The importance of a strong front office and good organization structure can't be overstated. This is why Pierre Dorion spearheading our rebuild scares me. I would trust him over anyone when it comes to drafting, but in terms of just about everything else (trading, contract negotiations, asset evaluation) he's proven to be mostly incompetent. When it comes time to start trying to bolster our young core via trades/free agency, I have very little faith in him.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The Oilers being bad is a result of their front office being a **** show. They continually failed to surround their young talent with vets that could contribute, and sucked mightily at finding talent outside of the first round. Just goes to show how important management is. There's been enough talent there for a long while, but management continually fails to capitalize on it. Same can be said for the Sabres. Housley is a garbage coach, and they're on their second GM since drafting Eichel. I think Buffalo will be fine if they can find a good head coach. There's no shortage of talent there.

The importance of a strong front office and good organization structure can't be overstated. This is why Pierre Dorion spearheading our rebuild scares me. I would trust him over anyone when it comes to drafting, but in terms of just about everything else (trading, contract negotiations, asset evaluation) he's proven to be mostly incompetent. When it comes time to start trying to bolster our young core via trades/free agency, I have very little faith in him.
Sometimes things just don't work out. The front office blaming is incredibly annoying. They have Bob Nicholson who, until lately, is hockey royalty. they hired a Stanley Cup winning GM. They hired sought after coaches. Their owner brought in a new arena, and shoved his fingers up the city's butt to get it. Players just didn't work out, do they ever get any blame in your world? Ever?

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada
Sometimes things just don't work out. The front office blaming is incredibly annoying. They have Bob Nicholson who, until lately, is hockey royalty. they hired a Stanley Cup winning GM. They hired sought after coaches. Their owner brought in a new arena, and shoved his fingers up the city's butt to get it. Players just didn't work out, do they ever get any blame in your world? Ever?
In your world it's always the fans, at least when it's Ottawa related.
Funny thing is, we replaced a whole bunch of players and finished 2nd last and last...but you refuse to see any connection to front office or owner.

Reactions: billpo

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Funny thing is, we replaced a whole bunch of players and finished 2nd last and last...but you refuse to see any connection to front office or owner.
Meh he never will,its all our fault....Oh well EM can sit in the Barbadoes ,and collect his equalization payments ...Because that is all he has ever cared about

Reactions: RaMai

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Edmonton, the great ownership who decided it was wise to fire MacTavish as a coach, then hire him as a senior VP, then promote him to GM, then let him take over as head coach, then demote him to vice president, all in the span of one of the worst tenures a team could possibly have.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Shit happens, man. Sometimes there is no one to blame. They hired all the right people. Where did I blame the fans? I said the players have their part that gets looked over.

If you reply, do try and respond to the right thread as you make zero sense here

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
**** happens, man. Sometimes there is no one to blame. They hired all the right people. Where did I blame the fans? I said the players have their part that gets looked over.

If you reply, do try and respond to the right thread as you make zero sense here
Lol what people??

Reactions: Engineer

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Meh he never will,its all our fault....Oh well EM can sit in the Barbadoes ,and collect his equalization payments ...Because that is all he has ever cared about
Yeah, you too. Do try and stay on topic and don’t be so whiny, wow

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
**** happens, man. Sometimes there is no one to blame. They hired all the right people. Where did I blame the fans? I said the players have their part that gets looked over.

New narrative: Blaming the front office is annoying, lets blame no one. **** happens. Must be a Ruzkowski idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah, you too. Do try and stay on topic and don’t be so whiny, wow
Please try to make sense ,you need to spend money to get back a percentage back in equalization...But hey he can still borrow right???Keep trying though

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Maybe you need context, bud. At the time, everyone loved their hires. Everyone from their fans to all the talking heads. Who didn’t like Nicholson, Chiarelli and McLellan?
We had our front office staff slashed ,a proud boast from our owner...So again what people??

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Please try to make sense ,you need to spend money to get back a percentage back in equalization...But hey he can still borrow right???Keep trying though
You are confused. Please post that in the other thread

RaMai

Mar 6, 2011
Canada

And sometimes there is no way to overlook who is to blame, yet you discuss exactly one of those scenarios with half the members of this board.
As far as making sense, make a little effort to understand. But I think it's more convenient for you not to.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not talking about ours, the Oilers. Man
Why do I care about the Oil???Answer why EM the man you obviously think hasnt done the worst damage to any franchise,since Ballard gets to have any sympathy from this fanbase....Or stop posting

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Why do I care about the Oil???Answer why EM the man you obviously think hasnt done the worst damage to any franchise,since Ballard gets to have any sympathy from this fanbase....Or stop posting
You don’t have to care about the Oil, except my response to @GrantLemons pertained to it. Like I said, if you can’t follow along you and @RaMai and others...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Or maybe it's just you...

I don't care about the oil either, but there it's tough to blame the fans...so in this case it's the players for you.

Man you are so lost. Let go of the anger as it is clouding your judgement. Again, my response had to do with the Oilers. He said front office is to blame, and yes the players under delivered. Fans are great there

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Watch that and tell me with a straight face management wasn't (and isn't) the problem in Edmonton; and those guys are still running the front office.

I don't care what Chiarelli did before his Oiler stint, look what he did while he was there. He traded away top talent for peanuts, and put them in cap hell. How is that the players fault? Did you see their player stats this season?

I don't think McLellan is a bad coach, but he was scapegoated by that front office because the team they gave him the last 2 years is complete dog shit outside of McDrai. When they had a bit of depth they made it to round 2.

They've had more than enough core talent to be successful for years, but they are totally incapable of supplementing it with pieces to become a perennially successful team.

Reactions: coladin

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Claiming Edmonton hired all the right people is the hot take of the century.

In reality there isn't anything further from the truth, and making that claim is 100% just trying to get a reaction.

Please go make that claim on the main boards, or even on the Edmonton board, so we can all sit back and enjoy the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad