We are in phase 2 of the rebuild, next year we need to contend for the playoffs

Are Pierre's thoughts on the rebuild accurate?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yeah.... I'm not so sure about that. Turris, Phaneuf and Brassard were all healthy scratches at one point this season. Methot can barely stay healthy. Anderson is almost 40. That's our top 2 centers, 2 of our top 4 defensemen, and our #1G from our 2017 cup run. Our core was on the precipice of declining.

The Duchene trade was supposed to help us extend the window before it closed sometime either last season or this season, but we all know what happened after that.
I don't consider it a comparable because Pittsburgh was obviously cooked at that point after their 110% offense only system owned by Jersey in the playoffs and were on the cusp of losing Lemieux again. They had 5 of the top 6 scorers on that team and literally nothing else. The next best player was Andrew Ference. They knew their time was done and had no semblance of a prospect system to replace them. We had moves to make, but there was still a solid group to work with and yes, a solid list of players needing to be replaced as well.

It may be splitting hairs, but Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Hoffman & Dzingel were not why things fell apart in Ottawa in 2017-18. With your list of players that were either under performing, aging or injured, added with our current complete waste of money veteran core, we'd just flat out stockpiled way too much money not pulling its weight to be able to maneuver anymore. It's water under the bridge now, but either way that's not on Karlsson, Stone, etc., it's on the people putting the team together around them. Maybe it was an impossible situation and they had no choice but to do what they did, but it still rings true that it was not on those core of players we actually wanted to keep.

The problem with a move like the Duchene deal you reference was the need for dollars in dollars out as usual. The roster obviously needed to add, particularly on defense, but all we could do was shuffle our top center as our big move, and we actually sent a solid contributor at the time to make it happen.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018
sorry all
read your threads regularly
do not post here much as i live on the westcoast
but need to say
that the sens cannot progress much through the stages of building a strong team
unless management spends the required money to retain top end talent

stone was a great find, completely solid foundational type player
and sens just waved bye bye to him

anyone recently who has been quality on the sens has been moved
that is what your management is doing

does not bode well for a rebuild
just spinning out the real talent so they don't have to pay for them
and exciting the base with new shiny toy draft picks

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
coastalview: you, like all of us here don't know what went on behind the scenes. 99% of posters on this board will claim it is FACT that management lowballed the players with insulting offers and that is why they left. But none of us know.

I maintain that the players left because they wanted to play for stacked teams in nice climates. It's human nature to want to play for a winner and the Sens are not winners right now. So they dumped us for greener pastures. This by the way is TABOO to say. You have to eviscerate management around here or you're not doing it right.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005
coastalview: you, like all of us here don't know what went on behind the scenes. 99% of posters on this board will claim it is FACT that management lowballed the players with insulting offers and that is why they left. But none of us know.

I maintain that the players left because they wanted to play for stacked teams in nice climates. It's human nature to want to play for a winner and the Sens are not winners right now. So they dumped us for greener pastures. This by the way is TABOO to say. You have to eviscerate management around here or you're not doing it right.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't really care why the players left. Whether the money wasn't there, or the contract structure wasn't right, or they didn't like the coaches, or they hate the owner. It's immaterial. The bottom line is that management was unable to retain them. That's a problem.

coastalview

Sep 11, 2018

you are technically correct
we do not know

but then you are calling stone a liar
he explicitly and publicly said he wanted to stay

i believed him
i guess you didn't?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I might be in the minority here, but I don't really care why the players left. Whether the money wasn't there, or the contract structure wasn't right, or they didn't like the coaches, or they hate the owner. It's immaterial. The bottom line is that management was unable to retain them. That's a problem.
Agree with this.

It is often simplified to money alone, but it is so much more complex than that.

We just look like a Mickey Mouse operation.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
weak
avoid the question
and just imply he is a liar
nice one
you don't deserve stone on your team
I am most definitely a management hater here in Ottawa, but it's a fair point.

With Stone, it sure sounds like if we'd been able to pony up what Vegas did, he was definitely signing.

On the other hand, you have guys like Tavares who obviously lie and string everyone along just so they don't have to be dealt at the deadline and move twice.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
weak
avoid the question
and just imply he is a liar
nice one
you don't deserve stone on your team
What? I love Mark Stone, nor did I imply he was lying. I just don't care what any player says to the media. No player would say I was never gonna sign there.

I don't think boards is calling him a liar

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Well Pierre says the General Manager wants them to get their act together and compete for a playoff spot next year... so I think Pierre left a few things out when he was describing a dismantle / rebuild to Euge

Ridiculous. Like we'll be anywhere near a playoff spot next year. Although if Montreal can get close...

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I still can't get over how Dorion wants the team to "contend for the playoffs" next season. Just........what?

The one year we absolutely, without a doubt, should be aiming low and staying patient, he wants the team to.....finish 15th?

What a maroon. Get the man out of that office ASAP.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
What are you going to do when ownership inevitably changes and Pierre is fired?

I'm going to do exactly the same thing I'm doing right now.

I'm going to look at the moves the new GM makes from a pragmatic point of view, and make sure my frustrations as a fan don't cloud my logic and the facts.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
What? I love Mark Stone, nor did I imply he was lying. I just don't care what any player says to the media. No player would say I was never gonna sign there.

I don't think boards is calling him a liar
Dorion always said they offered fair contract to the UFAs

And then Eugene saying it was time to trade them because at 27yo they all want 8-9MM$ for 8 years and by the time they are 33-34 yo and not effective anymore they still pay them big money and he wants a team of 24 yo

Pick your liar

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Dorion always said they offered fair contract to the UFAs

And then Eugene saying it was time to trade them because at 27yo they all want 8-9MM$ for 8 years and by the time they are 33-34 yo and not effective anymore they still pay them big money and he wants a team of 24 yo

Pick your liar
So was Duchene lying when he said he was offered a fair deal? My point stands that nothing said in the media from either side should be trusted. This goes for any team. “I will not trade pk subban”

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
In that phase 2 will be tanking and getting a top pick. I think it's fairly save to say we'd be at this mythical phase two if we get a top pick next year, no?
Phase 2 is trying to make the playoffs and young guys play. The Oilers have been at phase 2 forever. Sabres too

Hun

Apr 8, 2019
You mean that Penguins core, like 20 years ago when they aged out and Lemieux retired again? Ya, not at all comparable to our former core of players all in their prime and it's bordering on ancient history.

The Caps last rebuilt when they drafted Ovechkin and have since done what Pittsburgh has done with their current core by moving the pieces around the core, not the core players themselves, so not sure where you're going with that.

Weak sauce. I see I should have spared myself.
Jaromír Jágr-29 yo in2001
Alexei Kovalev- 28 yo
Martin Straka -29 yo
Robert Lang- 31yo
Aged, realIy?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So was Duchene lying when he said he was offered a fair deal? My point stands that nothing said in the media from either side should be trusted. This goes for any team. “I will not trade pk subban”

Duchene was just saying all the right things while he was packing his bags and booking his tickets out of town. Not burning any bridges.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
sorry all
but need to say

Ya we know

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
sorry all
but need to say

Make no mistake, your views are in line with the absolute vast vast vast majority of current Sens fans, the only one's opposing are your standard contrarian types imo.

Reactions: billpo

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Jaromír Jágr-29 yo in2001
Alexei Kovalev- 28 yo
Martin Straka -29 yo
Robert Lang- 31yo
Aged, realIy?
Yes, years older than ours was in 2017-18 when management gave up on them. Also, you left out the best one. The straw that stirred the drink.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Straight from the mouth of GM Pierre Dorion 2 minutes ago in his presser

"We are in phase 2 of the rebuild"

"Next year we need to start contending for the playoffs"

I would have though he would be able to keep up the charade and perpetuate this rebuild LIE longer than this! what a clown, what a loser: ITS NOT A REBUILD, ITS THAT YOU HAVE NO MONEY

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
So let's try not to repeat their mistakes. Let's keep on building.
I am not too optimistic. You need a good dose of luck. On top of those high draft picks panning out, you are going to need some unexpected players to make an impact. Could Duclair be part of that luck factor?

OIlers and Sabres have had so many top picks. Devils too. This is why I hate rebuilds because there really isn't a blueprint of success. Pittsburgh was extremely lucky with winning the draft lottery, and getting Malkin as well. Oilers have arguably had the same impact players but they suck endlessly.

This could be long, especially if they rush the Killer Bs to Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad