We are in phase 2 of the rebuild, next year we need to contend for the playoffs

Are Pierre's thoughts on the rebuild accurate?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Straight from the mouth of GM Pierre Dorion 2 minutes ago in his presser

"We are in phase 2 of the rebuild"

"Next year we need to start contending for the playoffs"

Last edited:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Phase one of the rebuild is over?

Maybe another top 5 pick would help with that. Tank next year, get another stud into the mix . . . plus whatever the rest of the picks from this year and next bring. THen I think you can start moving into phase 2.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Phase one of the rebuild is over?

Maybe another top 5 pick would help with that. Tank next year, get another stud into the mix . . . plus whatever the rest of the picks from this year and next bring. THen I think you can start moving into phase 2.
AGREED. This is a common sense scenario. As we all know though, Pierre has a bit of trouble there...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd rather not finish bottom 3 three years in a row, recovering from that is a monumental task.

I'm down for trying to make the playoffs as early as next year. That may mean we are planning on spending a bit more, which could bode well considering the numerous holes there are on the roster, the youth that needs to be shephered and our lack of shepherds!

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I'd rather not finish bottom 3 three years in a row, recovering from that is a monumental task.

I'm down for trying to make the playoffs as early as next year. That may mean we are planning on spending a bit more, which could bode well considering the numerous holes there are on the roster, the youth that needs to be shephered and our lack of shepherds!

He also said that there's a chance we may bring in a vet, but don't look for us to be active on July 1st.

Mr Hat

Oct 24, 2017
Kelowna
phase 1.png

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Assuming Phase 1 = burn this thing to the goddam ground, then yeah, being at Phase 2 makes sense.

I also assumed he meant competing for a playoff spot in 20/21, but if he didn't that's a huge misstep. We need to tank for one more year, can't have our only top-three pick be one we traded away. This team still needs another star up front moving forward. BT is awesome, but like Matt in Calgary he needs someone else there who can be a more "traditional" top forward.

Reactions: coladin

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Okay I may have misheard him then if he meant 2 years from now, need a recording and to relisten again

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I also assumed he meant competing for a playoff spot in 20/21, but if he didn't that's a huge misstep.

What he said was contending next year, being a playoff team the year after and being a playoff contending team the year after that.

I suppose we can all debate what contending next year means...but thats what he said

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I will let you all in on Pierre and Gene's master plan:

Phase 1: tear it down financially
Stanley Cup

We just finished up the worst of it by completing Phase 1 and are now about to enter the worst of it in Phase 1...

Reactions: Stylizer1

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
What he said was contending next year, being a playoff team the year after and being a playoff contending team the year after that.

I suppose we can all debate what contending next year means...but thats what he said

Not sure I agree with with him about contending next year (assuming he means competing for a playoff spot as a bubble team). Would be nice to cheer on some wins after the last 2 seasons, but I really do think the team needs to bottom out one more time for the long-term benefit of this team. I might be singing a different tune if they had their pick this year, but alas, we're here now gotta make the best of it.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Not sure I agree with with him about contending next year (assuming he means competing for a playoff spot as a bubble team). Would be nice to cheer on some wins after the last 2 seasons, but I really do think the team needs to bottom out one more time for the long-term benefit of this team. I might be singing a different tune if they had their pick this year, but alas, we're here now gotta make the best of it.

Personally I think the team is so far gone talent wise at this point + the reluctance of players good enough to have options to sign here = we'll probably bottom out for the next few years regardless what happens and what Pierre does. We may have one of the better prospect pools in the league, but the difference is the other teams actually have talent on their roster to add their prospects to. We have: Chabot, Tkachuk, White...and is there honestly anyone else on this roster you'd expect would be on the team next time we're in the playoffs? Wolanin I guess.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Next year, based on pure luck and unrepeatable save%, we will sneak into the playoffs and win a series. We will then be "one piece away" and Dorion will trade a bunch of prospects and picks for 3rd liners. We will crash and burn the season after that and the rebuild will start over again.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Contending, or even attempting to contend next year (that's what he said) is so moronic.

One of the biggest mistakes in Sens franchise history is keeping this management group.

They have no clue what they are doing. Why do they want to "contend" (be a bubble team...) when we actually have our 1st but are content being what they are now in a season without their 1st. It's bonkers, makes zero sense and has absolutely no realistic way of happening.

Management needs to go ASAP, until that happens the Sens are what they are, a steaming pile of dog turd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad