WCQF: Wild vs. Stars Series Discussion

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Wild are a perimeter team, for the most part. We don't have guys who can penetrate, especially on the PP, which is beyond passive.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Said it before the series even started: special teams is what would make or break this series. And it is proving very evident right now.

Wild are a perimeter team, for the most part. We don't have guys who can penetrate, especially on the PP, which is beyond passive.

And in this era, that is very, very bad.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The 6 on 4 for 1:24 was absolutely pathetic.

I have watched my share on Minny hockey and I will never understand why Ryan Suter is considered a top power play option.

Scandella has a bigger shot and Dumba has an even bigger shot. Spurgeon works as the "move" d

No Parise hurts too but 6 on 4 requires some pucks and people at the net to overwhelm the 4 killers. Can't believe how bad that was.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I will say this. The Wild lost because of a lack of talent and mediocre execution on special teams. I think this a problem both of coaching and personnel(insert Clint Eastwood Gif). Get to it Fletcher. We need to clean house with the coaching staff, and to change a few players.

What they didn't have in the last three games was a lack of effort, which is a sign that you have to blow everything up. I think the club needs to make changes, but maybe not the wholesale ones I thought they needed to make earlier in the year.

If there is a locker room divide it needs to be rooted out and dealt with.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Meh. Not saying it was great or anything, but Coyle's stick doesn't snap and that puck might've gone under the bar.

Still a pretty disappointing sequence of events though.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Screw our '03 run, we're coming back from down 3-1 in all four series this year.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
The Wild will never reach the Stanley Cup with their 1C being Koivu. The fact that they have Suter and Pominville on the PP is a disgrace as well.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
So much vitriol for a guy that nearly doubled up the #2 scoring defenseman this year, and is one of the 7-10 best in the entire league.

It's not a "disgrace". Just not preferential.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So much vitriol for a guy that nearly doubled up the #2 scoring defenseman this year, and is one of the 7-10 best in the entire league.

It's not a "disgrace". Just not preferential.

Yeah Suter had a lot more points, but I bet if you give Scandella the same minutes and situations Suter got all year, he'd put up 20+20.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I be curious to see if Scandella could handle 28 minutes against the league's best.

League's best? No problem. 28 minutes is where you might be stretching him thin.

But then, most of us here think Suter would be much more effective if he was only playing 24-25 a night.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Take Suter off the power play and he's down to 24 minutes a game.

Fun fact: both Dumba and Spurgeon are top 7 in the NHL for pp g/60 among defensemen. Spurgeon is #3 (2.26) and Dumba is #7 (2.09). Suter is #59 (0.62).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Life as a hockey fan sucks sometimes. Now it does.

You need the lows to truly appreciate the highs. That's why you should never fear being disappointed. Don't fear losing, and don't limit expectation from what reality should be.

If the team should be good, go all out and support them and hope for the best and EXPECT the best!

Those who always expect the worst only limit their own joys in life.

Expect the best, plan for the worst. As a sports fan, that means have the alcohol near by just in case... :laugh:

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
You need the lows to truly appreciate the highs. That's why you should never fear being disappointed. Don't fear losing, and don't limit expectation from what reality should be.

If the team should be good, go all out and support them and hope for the best and EXPECT the best!

Expect the best, plan for the worst. As a sports fan, that means have the alcohol near by just in case... :laugh:

These are true words. Not just for hockey, but for life. Cheers.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN

I live by Common's HALE theory.

High Aspirations, Low Expectations, me boy!

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
With our sports teams, can you blame anyone for having low expectations?

I expect what reality of the situation at the time tells me to expect. I cannot understand, nor will I ever... the thought process that has people always forcing low expectations no matter the situation.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I expect what reality of the situation at the time tells me to expect. I cannot understand, nor will I ever... the thought process that has people always forcing low expectations no matter the situation.

With as many teams as we've had that have flown high only to be smacked down to earth so hard that they crater over the few decades I've been a Minnesota sports fan, waiting for the other shoe to drop will never be off the menu until the clock on the championship clinching game hits zero.

Ever since the Twins won it in '91, when I was too young to give a damn, it's been one disaster after another ending our teams in stunning and gut-punching, heart-wrenching fashion.

Do I like that? Hell no. But that's the reality of the situation in Minnesota sports in general. You fly high and then you end up in a damned crater. The Vikings in '98. The Wild's run ends by being swept by Anaheim in '03, the T-Wolves best and only shot ended by the Lakers. Bountygate forcing Farve to pass instead of run. The Twins swept by the Yankees for the millionth time. The Wild beaten by the Hawks again and again and swept last year. The field goal that went amazingly wide against Seattle.

If one of our organizations finally steps up to the plate and begins a tradition of excellence and manages to avoid cratering in spectacular fashion, I'll start raising my expectations. But my heart has been ripped out and stomped on far too many times for me to NOT watch for the other shoe to drop.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
With as many teams as we've had that have flown high only to be smacked down to earth so hard that they crater over the few decades I've been a Minnesota sports fan, waiting for the other shoe to drop will never be off the menu until the clock on the championship clinching game hits zero.

Ever since the Twins won it in '91, when I was too young to give a damn, it's been one disaster after another ending our teams in stunning and gut-punching, heart-wrenching fashion.

Do I like that? Hell no. But that's the reality of the situation in Minnesota sports in general. You fly high and then you end up in a damned crater. The Vikings in '98. The Wild's run ends by being swept by Anaheim in '03, the T-Wolves best and only shot ended by the Lakers. Bountygate forcing Farve to pass instead of run. The Twins swept by the Yankees for the millionth time. The Wild beaten by the Hawks again and again and swept last year. The field goal that went amazingly wide against Seattle.

If one of our organizations finally steps up to the plate and begins a tradition of excellence and manages to avoid cratering in spectacular fashion, I'll start raising my expectations. But my heart has been ripped out and stomped on far too many times for me to NOT watch for the other shoe to drop.

You think you're telling me anything I don't know about Minnesota sports history that I've experienced MUCH longer than you have? I have suffered with Minnesota teams all of my almost 39yrs... trust me... I know. That doesn't mean I can understand and accept the thought process that gives up before it even starts.

I understand that to truly experience the highest of highs, you MUST experience the lowest of lows. If you cut yourself off from that you are doing yourself a disservice. THAT is what I understand, and no matter how much you try to reiterate the sufferage of Minnesota sports fans, will you EVER convince me that I need to do otherwise.

I was in tears when Darren Nelson had the ball go right between his hands in '87 vs the Redskins... I was in tears when the Falcons won in OT after Robert Smith led that epic drive towards what should have been a game winning field goal, I was in tears when we went down to the Saints in OT despite 7 turnovers in a game we should have won several times over... and I would not change my expectations at all in any of those instances... even though I was crushed!

I was in tears in '87 and '91 when we won the world series when baseball was a worth while sport (before the economics totally ravaged the playing field), I was in tears when the Gophers won back to back mens hockey titles in '02 and '03... tears of epic joy.

You also get tears of epic joy in the process of TRYING to win as well... when Bruno scored his goal... I just about collapsed in joy! When Park scored his goal in Game 6 to send it to game 7... I was in the building absolutely losing my mind!

Yes there have been crushing moments, and I was crushed down as hard as anyone, but I have also experienced unspeakable joy along the way as well. When you expect failure, you remove yourself from the situation partially, and it takes away from the ride... which is absolutely EPIC!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad