WCQF Game 5: Jets vs Blues | 7:30pm CT | USA,CBC, TVAS, SN360, FS-MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Credit goes to Schwartz who made an amazing deflection
I don’t know what happened to the Jets. They used to be the best team in the 3rd period last year
Now it’s seems like they stop playing in the 3rd period. Especially last few minutes Jets seem content to cruise while other teams play like madmen

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
So would you say that Torterella's coaching had little impact on the Blue Jackets' victory over the Lightning?

Yes, relatively little.

Tortorella has a .590 points ratio in 321 games with the Blue Jackets; Paul Maurice, whom even I'll concede is among the worst coach in the league, is .582 in 445 games with the Jets. Now of course you have to factor in the team's talent level, but when you actually do that, the difference between the best coach and worst coach pales in comparison between the best team talent and the worst team talent.

I defer to Rob Vollman, a hockey analyst now the director of analytics with the LA Kings, who has done the first real significant analysis on this subject. You can check the data and see your own conclusions.

NHL Coaching Data - Hockey Abstract

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah... every goalie needs luck, get your heads out of your a**es lmfao.

He clearly has more talent then luck. No need to be delusional guys.

During the peak of Binnington's hype, he was putting up numbers that, if reflective of his true talent, would make him the best goalie in modern history.

Tell me with a straight face that you believe Binnington is the best goalie in modern history.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
All the Jets can do is push it to 7.

It is not like St Louis has blown out the Jets at any point and most games were 1 goal games.
The series isn’t over by far. But as a Blues fan this win feels good. Game 6 is gonna be crazy !

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
During the peak of Binnington's hype, he was putting up numbers that, if reflective of his true talent, would make him the best goalie in modern history.

Tell me with a straight face that you believe Binnington is the best goalie in modern history.

Fleury's run in the playoffs last year, Dubnyk with Minnesota, the Hamburgler's run with Ottawa, just a few off the top of my head. Could probably include Fleury's replacement who won two cups with Pittsburgh. Goalies don't seem to stay at an elite/dominant level for any lengthy period of time these days.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Some of the saves Binnington has made in this series are pure luck and he is playing at an unsustainable level.

His luck will run out eventually in the playoffs and he will get figured out.

Do you realize he has played this way since January?

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis

He certainly is not, I'm not that crazy. He's not some god sent goalie either, he's just straight up doing his job and he's doing it better than any goalie we've seen here in St. Louis in a very long time. He's calm and poised just about the whole game, every game. I'm not here to say that he's unbeatable because he certainly is and you guys have peppered him before, but he has been playing great you have to admit.

Reactions: Weiss1604

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
Very short sample size and there is not a book out on him yet by all the other nhl teams.

Where would you guys be without him right now stealing games?

Is a Jets win less valid if their goalie steals to too? Should all wins stolen by goalies be worth no points? Maybe just one point?

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Love all the fans of teams already golfing that come in to troll! Or Leafs fans.... the team that has not won a playoff series in what? A decade? Actually longer. Some of them on here were probably wearing diapers then.

Anyways, most people had Blues or Jets in 6-7. So should be a good game Saturday. Home ice disadvantage has the Blues in 7. I think this series is fitting to go 7

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Fleury's run in the playoffs last year, Dubnyk with Minnesota, the Hamburgler's run with Ottawa, just a few off the top of my head. Could probably include Fleury's replacement who won two cups with Pittsburgh. Goalies don't seem to stay at an elite/dominant level for any lengthy period of time these days.

In a 15 game stretch, a mediocre starter has a 1-in-6 chance of outperforming the best goalie in the league. That should absolutely be indicative of how much variance is inherit in this position in any sample size south of the thousands-of-shots-against range.

And, fellow Jets fan, you should really add Hutchinson to that list ;)

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
In a 15 game stretch, a mediocre starter has a 1-in-6 chance of outperforming the best goalie in the league. That should absolutely be indicative of how much variance is inherit in this position in any sample size south of the thousands-of-shots-against range.

And, fellow Jets fan, you should really add Hutchinson to that list ;)

Only if it focuses almost entirely on games against Chicago!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
He certainly is not, I'm not that crazy. He's not some god sent goalie either, he's just straight up doing his job and he's doing it better than any goalie we've seen here in St. Louis in a very long time. He's calm and poised just about the whole game, every game. I'm not here to say that he's unbeatable because he certainly is and you guys have peppered him before, but he has been playing great you have to admit.

His performance has DEFINITELY been at a mid-to-above-average-starter level, and I'll definitely concede he has a veteran's mindset, which frankly is all you've needed for a long time. I wouldn't trust Jake Allen to tend my garden, much less my net.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Having said what I said, I maintain Hellebuyck is the better goalie, even if not by much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad