WCQF Game 5: Jets vs Blues | 7:30pm CT | USA,CBC, TVAS, SN360, FS-MW

Status
Not open for further replies.

hey we won a cup
Feb 16, 2017
St. Louis
His performance has DEFINITELY been at a mid-to-above-average-starter level, and I'll definitely concede he has a veteran's mindset, which frankly is all you've needed for a long time. I wouldn't trust Jake Allen to tend my garden, much less my net.
Yeah, like don't get me wrong I'm still a little skeptical in the back of my mind on Binny. But if you weigh our options in net and what we've dealt with over the years, you have to understand why we're a little hype haha

Reactions: irunthepeg

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Good night fellow Jets fans. Don't take the loss too hard, we have the visitor's advantage in the series next game.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Is a Jets win less valid if their goalie steals to too? Should all wins stolen by goalies be worth no points? Maybe just one point?

When a goalie plays at a very unsustainable level and is stealing games for a team on most nights it does not last forever.

Hellebuyck was in god mode last season and this season he has regressed back to league average at best while being very inconsistent.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
An absolute slog by the Blues. They were pushing and pushing uphill all game and finally right at the end they hit the peak. What an effort.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yeah, like don't get me wrong I'm still a little skeptical in the back of my mind on Binny. But if you weigh our options in net and what we've dealt with over the years, you have to understand why we're a little hype haha

Beyond a shadow of a doubt, I get it. We had a starter even WORSE than Allen (if you can imagine it!) for half a decade or so. And when I say worse than Allen, I mean statistically save-percentage-versus-league-average wise, he was literally under a 2nd percentile goalie. So we get this Hutchinson guy who comes out of nowhere, and during a sample size of about Binnington's regular season this year, he plays so well that there's legit talk he would sub in for an injured West goalie in the All Star Game. Not even two years later, Garret Sparks has surpassed him on Toronto's depth chart and he's probably retired.

But on the other hand, we have Hellebuyck who HAS fulfilled his promise of being a good-to-very-good starter, and we're over the moon.

And if you do have a Hellebuyck and not a Hutchinson on your hands, then I like your chances :)

Reactions: Default

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
An absolute slog by the Blues. They were pushing and pushing uphill all game and finally right at the end they hit the peak. What an effort.

Even when it seems 90% of the fans here gave up on the game, they didn't give up on themselves. Deep inside, I love it when a team shows that 85% does not equal 100%. Tonight it's gonna be WAY deep inside, buried under a shit ton of grief :p but my point stands.

Reactions: Mikeshane

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Back breaking loss for the Jets. It’s not that they lost but how the lost. They’ll need to find their road warrior magic again to force game 7.

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
Honestly you guys should be cheering for the blues. I said it before, but this team isn't doing crap with Maurice. The sooner they realize it, the better it is.

Can you imagine if they realized it last year and picked up Trotz?

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Post-game audio:

Jets: Wheeler, Hellebuyck, Hayes and Chiarot.

Coach Maurice scrum topics: His thoughts on the 3rd period. Did he get an explanation on the second goal? On Trouba eating the puck behind the net. How does the team get past that loss? Inability to gain momentum. Has special teams shifted away from the Jets? On getting the power play to click again. Any update on Nikolaj Ehlers? Will he have an update tomorrow?

Blues: Pieterangelo, Schenn & Schwartz

Coach Berube scrum topics: Comparing the first 40 to the last 20. Play of Jordan Binnington. Making the change at the top of the lineup. How good does it feel to make a change and see it pay dividends? What was the mindset after the 1st period? Play of the Blues special teams. Blues adjustments on the PK to take away Scheifele and Laine. How big was the four minute kill? Osker Sundqvist's development. On the road teams winning every game. Does he see any significance in the two guys (Schenn & Schwartz) who contributed today? Bortuzzo not playing. What did he think of Gunnarsson?

To listen click here.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
When a goalie plays at a very unsustainable level and is stealing games for a team on most nights it does not last forever.

Hellebuyck was in god mode last season and this season he has regressed back to league average at best while being very inconsistent.

Hellebuyck got off to a horrific start, but since December he has been upper-quartile save percentage wise. League average at worst, and he's only inconsistent because the entire position of goaltending is inconsistent.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
You could take away from any of our players, and you'd probably be right. But are these Jets fans really taking away from the guy who is the only reason we're leading in this series? Binnington is playing stellar. It's not lucky bounces, the guy is killing it.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Honestly you guys should be cheering for the blues. I said it before, but this team isn't doing crap with Maurice. The sooner they realize it, the better it is.

Can you imagine if they realized it last year and picked up Trotz?

Per my other posts, I think they'd be doing barely better at best. The difference between Trotz and Maurice over their careers is about 5 points per 82 games. The fact is, save for generational geniuses (Roger Nielsen) or generational idiots (Todd McLellan), the difference between best-and-worst coaches is minuscule at best. Or as Cherry says, show me a Vezina winner and I'll show you a Jack Adams winner.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You could take away from any of our players, and you'd probably be right. But are these Jets fans really taking away from the guy who is the only reason we're leading in this series? Binnington is playing stellar. It's not lucky bounces, the guy is killing it.

Binnington is playing mildly above average. I promise you, it really is the rest of your team that was being dragged down by your goaltending, not the other way around

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011

I think most know Binnington is Vezina level right now. But that's the position Jets were in last year. Ride it, ride it hard because he will fall into his own personal pace in the long run. Just pray to God your GM doesn't hand him a ridiculous contract after half a good season and solid playoff performance.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think most know Binnington is Vezina level right now. But that's the position Jets were in last year. Ride it, ride it hard because he will fall into his own personal pace in the long run. Just pray to God your GM doesn't hand him a ridiculous contract after half a good season and solid playoff performance.

He's a RFA, so I think he'll get a reasonable 3-4 year deal unless we go on some crazy run.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Oh, I get it you're trolling.

What's his save percentage this playoffs?

What is the league save percentage this year?

What is the percentile score for his expected number of goals against on 153 shots against versus his actual 14 goals against?

You come back with those answers, then I'll hear your claim that I'm trolling.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

Not a single person that is not being a deliberately obtuse contrarian believes that Jordan Binnington is playing at a Vezina level this year or this playoffs.

bluefan

Nov 18, 2011
He's a RFA, so I think he'll get a reasonable 3-4 year deal unless we go on some crazy run.

I still wouldn't. Hellebuyck with the crazy run last year and now we're on the hook for a slightly above middle of the run goaltender with a fat contract. He was great last year but a lot of his numbers were because of stifling the Jets defense was last year.

And now that they can't shutdown at all, we get the current version of Hellebuyck.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Connor with a weak board play on that winner, instead of cheating to go up the ice, take care of your own end first

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I still wouldn't. Hellebuyck with the crazy run last year and now we're on the hook for a slightly above middle of the run goaltender with a fat contract. He was great last year but a lot of his numbers were because of stifling the Jets defense was last year.

And now that they can't shutdown at all, we get the current version of Hellebuyck.

We pretty much have to, though. With Allen on the books for another 2 seasons, we can't really afford to not lock up Binny. If he has a good year next year, we would be in a poor bargaining position to have to either pay up big time to keep him or lose him entirely. Though, that type of deal is why we have the Allen problem to begin with.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Change " killing it " to " stealing it ".

Without Binnington the Blues do not make the playoffs or win a series in the playoffs.

1722a87e509985b5208d344a34939ee2.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad