GDT: WCQF Game 5: Blues @ Jets I 7:30pm CT I Prelimination Game (ft. bonus gif party)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
We have to score an early goal like they did Saturday. We need the crowd into early. Hopefully the legendary Charles Glenn can pump them up !

Reactions: mk80

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Not sure if this was posted but this from the story in the Post Dispatch. Check out these quotes:

Jets goalie Connor Hellebuyck wasn’t a big fan of the Schwartz goal, his first of the series and second game-winner of the season.

“Lucky pinballs,” Hellebuyck said. “The puck just bounced and ended up right on their tape. Tough to eat that one, but I thought we were the better team. If we keep fighting here, it’s not over.”

Your thoughts, Alex Pietrangelo?

“They can say that all they want,” Pietrangelo said. “Their first one’s a lucky bounce, too. He just throws the puck from the corner without looking and it goes right on the guy’s tape. They can make all the excuses they want but we found a way to score.”

Hey Hellebuyck, you mad, bro? Lol. Love Pietrangelo's comments on it.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

There have been some lucky goals this series (like all series) but that Schwartz goal was FAR from lucky. That was one of the most precise goals I have ever seen Schwartzy make.

It's right up there with that seeing-eye wrist-flicker ROR had in game 2 for the game winner.

I love Pie. I know people have bery polarizing opinions of him. Maybe he is overrated and maybe he should just be an A but damnit he is still a freaking good D-man and that's something I don't understand people bashing on him for. Regardless, great W, Blues are in the Jets' heads and they NEED to close it out tomorrow.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
I actually completely agree. We looked bad in the second but Binny and our PK unit kept us in the game. 3rd period was all us.
That’s what I’m saying..... I looked on the Jets board and they think we were outplayed for 50 minutes of the game. To be honest after the 1st goal we were relentless on the forecheck and was putting constant pressure on them in their zone to try to tie the game up. Even after the Hayes goal I felt we controlled possession for most of the 1st. I’m really starting to think most Jets fans are in denial about a lot of things when it’s comes to their team.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Ya thanks. was easy to see after schenn scored that 17 was picking up his play. infact, once schenn went to that line outside of that dumb slapshot that led to a breakaway i thought he looked like the old 17.

you can tell when 17 is going when he plays like Grant Wistrom use to for the Rams, nonstop motor and puck hunter.

Yep, better late than never! We need that shot in the arm, no doubt. We can be quite dangerous if those two get hot again.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
I don't think running 4LD and 2RD is to our advantage. Some posters will argue that playing your "off-side" is no big deal. I suggest that those posters have never played defense. It might work for one game, but running that formula for an extended period seems like a bad idea to me. Especially in such a high stakes environment.

I agree that playing the off side can be a fairly big deal for certain D men.

That said; you seem to be forgetting that there was a point where upwards of 70% of the RD in the League were LHS. The RHS RD and LHS LD thing is more of a recent phenomenon. Certainly there are some adjustments that the player needs to make to be effective on the opposite side, but plenty of players can and do make that adjustment and how effectiveness there. In fact, some players are completely lost if they don't play their opposite side. For example, Sandis Ozolinsh. Well known offensive minded Lefty Shot D man; couldn't score at all from the left point.

For the Blues specifically; Bouwmeester, Del Zotto and Dunn all have history playing the Right Side. They know what adjustments are needed and have shown they can be effective on that side at the NHL level. If we need to run with any of them on the right side for an extended period, it's not going to hurt us too much. In fact, MDZ actually seems to be better offensively when he's playing the right side(it let's him get his shot off faster). Given that we could use a bit of a spark from our D, I actually wouldn't be opposed to putting MDZ into the lineup next to Eddy. It should help that pairings transition game and the aggressive streak of MDZ might wake up Eddy's nasty streak.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I"m a big fan of playing Gunner and I liked that Berube had him paired with Petro. I would go with the following for game 6:

Gunner Petro
Bouw CP55
Dunn Eddie/Borts

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Wheeler: "We had a good third period. They caught a lucky break."

Are you high right now? You blew a 2-0 lead in the 3rd period but yours was good and we just caught a lucky break? Lol wow.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I'll be honest, I thought they outplayed us in the first period, and not just on the scoreboard. We played way better in the first period than in game 4, but it still felt like they were overall more dangerous. Doesn't help when we kept missing the net.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I thought the Blues outplayed the Jets most of the game, despite being down 2-0 in the first I thought the Blues outplayed & out chanced them in the first. The Jets got the better of the 2nd until the double minor, and it was mostly all Blues from that point on. After the Blues scored their first goal in the 3rd, the Jets had them back on their heels until the last 10-11 minutes of the 3rd. So basically the Jets were the better team for 20 minutes of a 60 minute game give or take a minute. That save Binny made on Laine mostly uncontested after the Blues tied it up was enormous, and why I take him over Hellebuyck any day of the week lol. Jets fans can say whatever they want, their team has the better goalie, Binnington has just gotten lucky, Hamburgler 2.0 and what not. I take his composure and ability to make the key save against someone like Laine or Shieffle over a 6 million dollar goalie who cries after the game about a lucky shot lol. Schwartz game winner was a lot less lucky imo than Lowry's goal 12 seconds into the game.

*edit* Did you guys realize the Blues had more attempts that completely missed the net then shots on goal? 29 shots, 59 attempts. That's crazy, the blues completely missed the net at least 2-3 times on wide open nets inculding Sunny's breakaway & Tarasenko in front of the net. They convert those and this was a much less stressful game lol.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
We were not the better team in the first. For at least 25 minutes, the Blues could hardly pass. Numerous times the Blues failed to clear the puck or get the puck in deep. The only line to have meaningful possession time was the 3rd line. It wasn't unill the 4 minute PK and the line changes that the Boys remembered how to hockey.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We were not the better team in the first. For at least 25 minutes, the Blues could hardly pass. Numerous times the Blues failed to clear the puck or get the puck in deep. The only line to have meaningful possession time was the 3rd line. It wasn't unill the 4 minute PK and the line changes that the Boys remembered how to hockey.
Disagree, the Blues had just as many if not a few more golden opportunities in the first they didn't convert. The scoreboard was the only place the Blues were outplayed in the first period of Game 5.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Well that definitely sounds like sour grapes but I understand it. I'd like to note here that Kevin Hayes was the beneficiary of what was basically a free tap in goal to be up by one in the 1st place. So I don't want to hear about luck, gtfo with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad