GDT: WCQF Game 5: Blues @ Jets I 7:30pm CT I Prelimination Game (ft. bonus gif party)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
For those who want to see the hilarious comments themselves.

I can kind of see where the tune of the comments is coming from though. The Jets are going to sell it to themselves that they were the better team, and they have had success in our building in order to stay composed for the game tomorrow.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Disagree, the Blues had just as many if not a few more golden opportunities in the first they didn't convert. The scoreboard was the only place the Blues were outplayed in the first period of Game 5.

Binnington saved some golden opportunities. If you argue that their goals were lucky, you can argue that Binnington was lucky on several saves, not to mention when Hayes saved his on goal 6 inches from the goal line. It works both ways.

The Blues could not deal with the tight gap and aggressive forechecking. At least a dozen times in the 1st alone, players mis-handeled, fanned, or fumbled pucks.

Reactions: mk80

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
For those who want to see the hilarious comments themselves.

"It was a good 3rd period for us."

giphy.gif

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Binnington saved some golden opportunities. If you argue that their goals were lucky, you can argue that Binnington was lucky on several saves, not to mention when Hayes saved his on goal 6 inches from the goal line. It works both ways.

The Blues could not deal with the tight gap and aggressive forechecking. At least a dozen times in the 1st alone, players mis-handeled, fanned, or fumbled pucks.

This

The Blues outplayed the Jets throughout the game. Even when the Jets went up 2-0, the Blues had chance after chance but just couldn't bury it.

And @Klank Loves You I never said their goals were lucky. I said Lowry's goal was just as much lucky as Schwartz game winner. Plus it's not like the Blues haven't had a couple that should have gone in that didn't Bozak before he finally scored should have had at least 2 in that game. Tarasenko dribbling it through Hellebuyck's legs only to be cleared last second by Jets D. Even Kelly & Pang and the Blues intermission report after the first said the Blues looked like they outplayed the Jets in the first, and had a ton a golden opportunities they didn't convert.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Eh, after listening to the presser, whatever....what's he supposed to say?

The coach's comments were more damning

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Friendly reminder that post game interviews are PR.

Players are not saying the same thing to reporters that they are saying to each other and most of them have received training about trying to say as little substance as possible during interviews. Sometimes there is emotion or passion about bad hits/calls, but for the most part guys are giving canned answers in order to get done, get dressed and leave.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
the blues dont usually get too outplayed when they do get outplayed

the biggest problem has been the same for years, lack of finishers. if tarasenko and ror arent scoring, nobody else has the shot or poise to get the puck to the back of the net. that desperately needs to be addressed more than anything. its good to bring in bozaks and maroons because they are good at controlling the puck but the team has nobody to finish off on that control.

schwartz hopefully bounces back but perron isnt going to pace like he did this year so if schwartz does bounce back its a trade off.

thomas has great skill but again, hes a playmaker above anything and has never been a scorer. same with kyrou.

kostin and bokk have potential to be decent middle six scorers but they are far away from being impactful.

Reactions: Bluesfan1 and mk80

Instl

Dec 21, 2011
St. Louis
They seem to have ruled that Byfuglien deliberately pushed Sundqvist hard directly towards the net, which knocked it off its pegs when he saw the puck slide out towards the in-skating Schenn, with no Jets anywhere near him. Schenn had an open 2/3 of the net for an almost automatic goal. I think the rule should be changed to have the goal count if the shot was taken before the net was dislodged, AND the puck's direction was sending it along an unobstructed trajectory, with enough speed and momentum, which would have had it score, in any case. If nothing could have stopped it going in, it should count. If players stop playing because they see the pegs come out, and the net move, and THEN, an offensive player starts his shot after that, of course, the goal should not count. But, The Blues' goal would have scored in any case. Nothing on that play changed because the net came out of the holes, and moved backwards.

That is pretty much the rule, Robb.
Since the shot was in process and would have been on net and Buff was responsible for Sundqvist knocking the net off the moorings, it's a goal.

63.6 Awarded Goal - In the event that the goal post is displaced, either deliberately or accidentally, by a defending player or goalkeeper, prior to the puck crossing the goal line between the normal position of the goalposts, the Referee may award a goal.
In order to award a goal in this situation, the goal post must have been displaced by the actions a defending player or goalkeeper, the puck must have been shot (or the player must be in the act of shooting) at the goal prior to the goal post being displaced, and it must be determined that the puck would have entered the net between the normal position of the goal posts.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I wasn’t aware of the rules about the defender causing it to be knocked off, but it was the right call. It felt weird for the Blues to get the benefit of the call in a situation like that.

Reactions: mk80

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

First quote, meh whatever. I wouldn’t expect him to say “yeah my defenseman really blew that one and they made a good play. Great effort.” So whatever. The second one is pretty dumb. What happened on that play was not equivalent to a goalie pushing the net off its mooring lol. He was pretty whiny after the second game too. Just seems to be his MO.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Jets goalie should have stopped the GWG. Thats why hes crying.

I would not call it a soft goal but Cup winning goalies make that save.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Disagree, the Blues had just as many if not a few more golden opportunities in the first they didn't convert. The scoreboard was the only place the Blues were outplayed in the first period of Game 5.
Agreed. The Blues were playing well, they just couldn’t finish.

Hellebuyck is such a baby. He made the same comments last year when they lost to Vegas. Said that Vegas got lucky and also said he was better than Fleury. :laugh:

I don’t like the guy. Mainly because he looks like a grade A weirdo.

Reactions: STLomacneko

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Blues finally breaking thru 5on5 was the key. If they tie the game on a PP I dont think they win it. Also important that the people who needed to play better picked up goals. Need to see that all game long in G6.

5on5 play is the key in the playoffs as the further you go the less and less calls the refs make. Good 5on5 play and a good PK will win many games.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Why give a f*** what Wheeler, Hellebuck or Laine will say were we lucky or not?

Somethimes this board sound so bitter that it hurts to read. And it might sound bit crazy when its coming from my mouth, but..

We lead 3-2 and all it matters what we do next game.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

Did you guys see this. Andy Cohen (from a bunch of shows from the Bravo Network....My wife likes those Housewives shows okay!! :mad::laugh:) is posting celebration vids after the Blues last second win last night. Another somewhat famous Blues fan :eek::sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad