WC SF: May 14 GDT - Russia vs. Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Sweden - 9 million people, soccer 1st followed closely by hockey

Finland - 5 million people, hockey unrivalled no.1 sport (Finland and Canada are the only countries in the world where hockey is no.1 btw)

Czech, Slovakia - under 10 million people both, hockey and soccer about equal.

So Canada with 30million people and hockey as the CLEAR no.1 sport should have a better talent pool.

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
wilka91 said:
No man, hockey is only number 1 in Canada and Finland (that's what the Finns told me).

You should also check out the medal counts at the winter+summer olympic games, and you will see that Canada wins most of its medals in the hockey, skating and curling tournaments.

But let's just not consider this. Hockey is hockey. All teams have 23 players. All those interpretations about rinks, population, popularity are pointless.

What is the #1 sport in Russia if not hockey? Is it football then?

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
wilka91 said:
No man, hockey is only number 1 in Canada and Finland (that's what the Finns told me).

You should also check out the medal counts at the winter+summer olympic games, and you will see that Canada wins most of its medals in the hockey, skating and curling tournaments.

But let's just not consider this. Hockey is hockey. All teams have 23 players. All those interpretations about rinks, population, popularity are pointless.
Ok, I am talking professional sports here. Not once every four years Olympic games. And for the record, there are only two medals to be won per country in hockey in the Olympics.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Westlander said:
What is the #1 sport in Russia if not hockey? Is it football then?
Unfotunately yes. But basketball, voleyball and handball are ranked pretty high too.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
wilka91 said:
How many Russians in major league baseball? How many Russian playing American football? Sure you have basketball covered (a sport a Canadian invented), but other than that, which "sports" are you referring to that Russia is stocked in? To suggest that Russia is any more stocked in other sports than Canada (aside from maybe football/soccer) seems a little odd to me.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
CSKA said:
yep ...........but hey our national soccer team sucks big time ..what a irony :biglaugh: :shakehead :shakehead

Still 53 spots ahead of us ;)

Why are we arguing over which game is important in another country. How would we know for certain, unless we reside in the country?

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Tricolore#20 said:
Still 53 spots ahead of us ;)

Why are we arguing over which game is important in another country. How would we know for certain, unless we reside in the country?

Well it's pretty much documented over here, this discussion has taken place several times already.

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
CSKA said:
yep ...........but hey our national soccer team sucks big time ..what a irony :biglaugh: :shakehead :shakehead
Could probably beat Canada's soccer team. Though there is some grassroots support for soccer in Canada, maybe that will change some day. It will never compete with hockey though, not even Canada's national sport (lacrosse) can compete with hockey.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
kolanos said:
How many Russians in major league baseball? How many Russian playing American football? Sure you have basketball covered (a sport a Canadian invented), but other than that, which "sports" are you referring to that Russia is stocked in? To suggest that Russia is any more stocked in other sports than Canada (aside from maybe football/soccer) seems a little odd to me.

Check out the Olympic games medal count ...

I'm off

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
kolanos said:

Are you crazy my friend ? :eek: American football ??? American football WHO THE **** BESIDES NORTH AMERICA PLAYS FOOTBALL ???

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
wilka91 said:

I'm off
Fair enough. But per capita is evens out. Hockey is the only place where it's disproportional. :D

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
CSKA said:
Are you crazy my friend ? :eek: American football ??? American football WHO THE **** BESIDES NORTH AMERICA PLAYS FOOTBALL ???

curling, football, baseball ... what's next? board games? :dunno:

kolanos

Nov 7, 2003
CSKA said:
Hey, we're talking professional sports right? If you guys are going to bring up handball and volleyball, both recreational activities at best around here -- it's only fair.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Interesting, over here Peter25 claimes he didn't see the game yet still claimes that Henriksson is biased. Yet at the jatkoaika.com boards he's claming that he saw the game and complains about Henriksson's bias. :confused:

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Sotnos said:
Because people here enjoy beating a dead horse and commenting on things they know nothing about. :)

aha ok and Soccer is for example not the Nr1 sport in Brazil .........bahhhhhh i have no idea what im talkin about yeah

chicpea*

wilka91 said:

I'm off

It's getting old hat seeing you shoot your mouth off in russia-canada games and then slink off....actually, russia vs anyone games.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
kolanos said:

Let's see. Using the Olympics as an indication...
http://www.athens2004.com/en/OlympicMedals/medals
http://www.answers.com/topic/2002-winter-olympics

Pretty close in the winter-sports department. Russia wins big in summer games.

Also... Russia probably wins in chess too :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad