WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Every team has to work their ass off to make it to the final. But I dont think there's another nation with only 1 win out of 9 final appearances. I am starting to get pretty tired of this.

Keep in mind that often our team has been overachieving too, getting to finals or semi-finals even when they had no business getting that far based on quality of players alone. Team spirit goes a long way.

But I can't deny that it is getting very tiresome. Always there's something, a stick breaking at an unopportune moment or
something else...

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Congrats to Canada! You were way better today. :handclap:

Too bad Finland only played in the 3rd period. :shakehead If only they had started earlier..
It's not that Finland didn't try the whole game. The 3rd period was due to Canada not showing up like they did in the previous two periods. That's our problem, every time we lead in the 3rd, we play defence and wait for the buzzer.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
First off, congratulations Canada. You once again showed the hockey-world how to execute a tournament. :clap:

The better team won today, no if's or but's.

There is no shame in losing to Canada, what a bunch of classy people starting with their head coach Andy Murray.

The first two periods was the most dominant hockey final I have ever witnessed. We took stupid penalties and paid the price and Kari didn't have his best day today.

End of story.

And the finnish fans who gave up after 3-0 should give their head a shake. Team Finland never gives up, and for that I'm proud. We fought like lions to the bitter end with enormous hearts.

We should be satisfied with the silver and remain humble and realise we were a post shot in overtime against USA away from a major dissapointment. And we should be proud of the fact that we were the only ones to beat a team with Alexander Ovechkin on the fourth line.

I stand up, remove my cap and give a round of applause to Erkka Westerlund. :clap:

I'm really not fond of him, but you have to give tons of credit to the guy for fighting thru a world of **** and at the end of the day he was one of our most successful coaches.

I'm very excited about the new Canadian era of Doug Shedden and Jukka Jalonen at the helm and the class of '83 as our new leaders.

Incarnation

Dec 29, 2005
Finland
How is it possible that our beloved team Finland got this far with this kind of defense? I almost shed tears while watching these guys, especially mister Saravo.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
:D
Haven't you noticed this ?

Ah, sorry, I forgot:

Where are you now, my dear friend? You don't know how to handle a defeat I see. I'd suggest you take a page from some of the more classy Russian fans around here (Zine, Kaizer and Slitty come to mind) and quit your whining.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Team Finland in finals:

1992 World Championships: Loss
1994 World Championships: Loss
1995 World Championships: Win
1998 World Championships: Loss
1999 World Championships: Loss
2001 World Championships: Loss
2004 World Cup: Loss
2006 Olympics: Loss
2007 World Championships: Loss

That is choking.
No, that is not choking, that is overachieving. Every year in every tournament, Finland is never the favourite and especially not at the World Cup and at the Olympics. Yet, you guys manage to squeeze in the finals. Choking is when you enter as the favourite and you don't win. Canada in Turin is choking.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
No, that is not choking, that is overachieving. Every year in every tournament, Finland is never the favourite and especially not at the World Cup and at the Olympics. Yet, you guys manage to squeeze in the finals. Choking is when you enter as the favourite and you don't win. Canada in Turin is choking.

Actually you are wrong, Finland was a favorite in Turin. Winning both Russia and Canada with their big names made us the favorite for gold medal.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
You are wrong, the Eurovision has always been a big thing in Finland. Everyone just thought that Finland would not win until hell freezes over.

It's been big all over europe for a long time,even if not all take it serious. It's a good evening for beer&friends, commenting on all hilarious entries :)

I think it actually holds all viewing records for a non-sports event.
(it's a competition, but song writing is not a sport).

Kit Fisto

Aug 16, 2006
Uppsala, Sweden
This team did far better than I had hoped, so overall I'm happy. Still, it always hurts losing a final and I would really like to experience 1995 again, but it will happen again eventually. The better team won, congrats to Team Canada!

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
Actually you are wrong, Finland was a favorite in Turin. Winning both Russia and Canada with their big names made us the favorite for gold medal.

Finland wasn't a favourite before the tournament in Turin.

They became the favourite by stunning play all the way until they got Lundqvisted in the final.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
I was more thinking of at the beginning of the Olympics. Canada and Russia were the favourites. Even Sweden was expected more than Finland. It is true that in the final though, most saw Finland as the winner. I remember being surprised that Finland lost. In general though, Finland is no choker and it was not in this tournament.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS!

Go FINNS! Go FINNS!
Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS! Go FINNS!

Thanks for the support. I'd like you to know that Latvia is my second favourite right after Finland. My wife is Latvian and through her I've lived through (figuratively) some Latvian history.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
It's been big all over europe for a long time,even if not all take it serious. It's a good evening for beer&friends, commenting on all hilarious entries :)

I think it actually holds all viewing records for a non-sports event.
(it's a competition, but song writing is not a sport).
How has England fared so far? Isn't Morrissey representing England? He's such a good song writer usually.

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
How has England fared so far? Isn't Morrissey representing England? He's such a good song writer usually.

UK actually, and he wasn't.
They sent some jokes dressed as flight attentands.
And ended up second from last with a whopping 19 points (shared with France).

But I think we are drifting slightly off topic here :)

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Some finnish posters don't quite understand the concept of choking.

Team Finland has never really choked, apart from a few games against Sweden, but that is another chapter of it's own.

Our place in hockey hierarchy is 5th.

It's more or less:

1.Canada
2.Russia
3.Sweden
4.Czech Republic
5.Finland
6.USA
7.Slovakia
8. Germany/Switzerland/...

So if we finish worse than 5th then you can talk about choking imo.

We just happen to be masters at reaching the final without being able to win the last game.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Some finnish posters don't quite understand the concept of choking.

Team Finland has never really choked, apart from a few games against Sweden, but that is another chapter of it's own.

Our place in hockey hierarchy is 5th.

It's more or less:

1.Canada
2.Russia
3.Sweden
4.Czech Republic
5.Finland
6.USA
7.Slovakia
8. Germany/Switzerland/...

So if we finish worse than 5th then you can talk about choking imo.

We just happen to be masters at reaching the final without being able to win the last game.

Agreed. In terms of overall talent, we're fifth if even that. In terms of team play we put forward Olympics-USA-81 -esque performances more often than anybody I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad