WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

ONOilersFan

Jun 7, 2006
I'd like to hear more canadian opinions about Team Finland and the finnish players :)

Here's mine on team Canada and Canadian players...

Cam Ward - Shaky, mixes great with weird playing.
Rick Nash - An ox who can go to the net hard with a Saravo hanging from him.
Toews - Looked out of place after his first shift and got ice time accordingly

Believe me when I say I mean this as a compliment. You rarely notice individual Finnish players but you always notice how they play as a team and never quit. To me that is the most impressive thing about Finnish hockey. Rarely the most talented but always play as a team.

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
you guys never quit. That can go a long way.

Congratulations to Finland :handclap:

Thank you so, so much. :handclap: This kind of comments always make the feeling a little bit better and happier. Probably this silver tastes better in tomorrow when I wake up and watch out of the kitchen's window, but at the moment it doesn't yet. I must say I love this kind of attitude of Canadian fans like John Agar. You are not provoking the fans of team which has just lost in a bitter way.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Uh... choking is when you're expected to win because on paper, you're better and despite that, you lose. I'm sorry to tell you this but Canadians on paper is better and are expected to win. Russians are the chokers because they were supposed to win it all this year and again, they failed. That is choking.

Team Finland in finals:

1992 World Championships: Loss
1994 World Championships: Loss
1995 World Championships: Win
1998 World Championships: Loss
1999 World Championships: Loss
2001 World Championships: Loss
2004 World Cup: Loss
2006 Olympics: Loss
2007 World Championships: Loss

That is choking.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Before Lordi: no-one even knew that the song contest is on

After Lordi and because the contest was held in Helsinki: 60 000 people gathered in to the Dome Church square in Helsinki to witness the contest from a giant square

You are wrong, the Eurovision has always been a big thing in Finland. Everyone just thought that Finland would not win until hell freezes over.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Team Finland in finals:

That is choking.

Exactly... Sometimes (more than often) it's a pain in the ass to be a finnish hockey fan....

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Team Finland in finals:

That is choking.
If we in other competitions than the 1995 and the 2006 one would've had teams that wouldn't have had to work their ass to get there, you'd be correct.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I don't think that's choking exactly. Finland is basically always overachieving when they make the final and never really the favorite to win. Maybe in Turin I got my hopes up, but that has been the only time ever. That's what made the loss feel so bad, not just the fact that we lost to Sweden.

RubberDuck

Oct 30, 2005
Congrats to all canadians!

Better team won, no doubt about that.
Maybe it´s our turn some day,,, but just maybe. :cry:

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
Canada was solid as ever, congrats!! Liked the way Finns didnt stop trying and came back in the 3rd. The ref sucked today, Thomas Rööbjorn or whats his name was. Really easy game to call, but he still could mixed it up.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
My pointers for team Finland

+ Young guys did mostly pretty well.
+ Good effort in the end.
+/- Lehtonen was not tried much and did okay, but the third goal was a bit too easy
- Söderholm's bad decision in the second goal, if you have that much time to think where to shoot the puck you can't fail at getting it out of the zone, was replaced by Ruutu after the blunder.
-- The defenders were in a panic when Canada used its extremely aggressive three man forecheck.
-- Dumb penalties that gave Canada the lead.
--- Rick Nash.
--- The curse continues

The better team won and I was very impressed by their forechecking in the first period, but Finland could have played better.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
So... When are we getting a new natural finisher?

ALL our goals in this tournament were results of hard work, luck and great playmaking, never a single guy getting the puck in a weird place, skating for the net and booming in a great shot ^^

Let's all help Teemu Pulkkinen if your life crosses his, help him ;)

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There's a championship I think I could gladly...

Too bad you're in Sweden, otherwise I'd invite you for a consolation boozing evening :)

accept Silver. My choices would be a good dry wine, a ceasar, good Canadian 12 year old Whiskey...or what ever my good Scandanavian friends could offer.

I am sure I would graciously accept defeat.

Skol!!!!!:handclap:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
Team Finland in finals:

That is choking.

Only in 1995 we were some kind of favorites to win. Reaching the World Cup and Olympic finals plus winning pronze in 1998 Olympics were examples of opposite of choking.

We have always been underdogs and almost never given any chance beforehand, but still reached the finals with or without our star players. I would not call our history choking, but missing the winning culture.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
If we in other competitions than the 1995 and the 2006 one would've had teams that wouldn't have had to work their ass to get there, you'd be correct.

Every team has to work their ass off to make it to the final. But I dont think there's another nation with only 1 win out of 9 final appearances. I am starting to get pretty tired of this.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Every team has to work their ass off to make it to the final. But I dont think there's another nation with only 1 win out of 9 final appearances. I am starting to get pretty tired of this.

I doubt any other nation with the same material that we have would even get to the final 9 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad