WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I would say the Finns, Swedes, and then Canucks in that respect.

I live in sweden, and I can't agree with the swede thing.

The media and people in general are always shoving it down the loser's throats, be it a win yesterday or several years ago. Swedes are good losers in hockey (not so much in non-sporst things though), but definately not graceful winners.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

The media and people in general are always shoving it down the loser's throats, be it a win yesterday or several years ago. Swedes are good losers in hockey (not so much in non-sporst things though), but definately not graceful winners.
That's not entirely true. There are just some journalists working on tabloids who like to make fun of Finland if we beat them, just as some journalists in Finland would probably do the same if the spots were reversed. And then it wasn't even about hockey, but Olympics in general.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
That's not entirely true. There are just some journalists working on tabloids who like to make fun of Finland if we beat them, just as some journalists in Finland would probably do the same if the spots were reversed. And then it wasn't even about hockey, but Olympics in general.

People in general are worse than the tabloids though. At these boards we have alot of examples of swedes who are graceful winners though.

Grove

Mar 19, 2007
It was such a huge dissapointment that it's too damn hard to try analyzing the game yet.

But nevertheless, congratulations to Canada, you had prepared for the game much better, and the Finnish players started playing little too late. Atleast they were able to put up a fight.

I'm sure our time will come some day again, but now we'll have to wait atleast another year. :/

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
It was such a huge dissapointment that it's too damn hard to try analyzing the game yet.

But nevertheless, congratulations to Canada, you had prepared for the game much better, and the Finnish players started playing little too late. Atleast they were able to put up a fight.

I'm sure our time will come some day again, but now we'll have to wait atleast another year. :/

Next year it is in Canada :) replay of the final now, with Finland and Canada there... And we'll win it!

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rich Nash, he is a wonderful hockeyplayer. I wonder if he isn't even a better fit on the big ice then in the NHL.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. He's able to take that extra room and drive to the net like nobody I've ever seen. He's relentless that way. And amazingly fast for a man his size. He might be the quickest big guy ever.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I was thinking exactly the same thing. He's able to take that extra room and drive to the net like nobody I've ever seen. He's relentless that way. And amazingly fast for a man his size. He might be the quickest big guy ever.

He was brilliant in Switzerland during the lockout too. He looks a bit like Elvis too, so I bet he's a heartbreaker ^^

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg

Why this prejudice? I know alot of swedes that are very graceful, it's our newspapers "sportjournalist" that isn't.

I know you wrote that many swedes on these boards are graceful, but please...

There are gloating hockeyfans in every country, including the great white north.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why this prejudice? I know alot of swedes that are very graceful, it's our newspapers "sportjournalist" that isn't.

I know you wrote that many swedes on these boards are graceful, but please...

There are gloating hockeyfans in every country, including the great white north.

This is not prejudice. I've lived all my life in sweden and met my fair share of beatings, both verbal and physical because of hockey.

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Next year it is in Canada :) replay of the final now, with Finland and Canada there... And we'll win it!

Could the history repeat itself:

1994: Silver medal to Finland, gold medal to Canada
One year later: Gold medal to Finland

2007: Silver medal to Finland, gold medal to Canada
One year later: Gold medal to Finland? ;)

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
Congratulations for Canada :handclap:

Funny actually that when the it was 3-0, I was pretty relaxed and not at all pissed off. Maybe I didn't honestly believe they could win it. If it had ended 3-0, it would've been clear result and no excuses but after Finland started to play in 3rd perioud they got close but it was still so far :( In the end, this was quite justified result for our coach Westerlund, he made so huge mistakes through the whole tournament. Sadly it was the last tournament for Westerlund. I hope our next coach will finally have that something that is needed to win these big games.

magnus1830

Jun 18, 2007
Can´t understand why you feel sorry for Finland and mention 2006 Olympic!!!?? Why, cuz they lost against a better swedish team??? WC in Finland that game I can understand that´s something else. Finland having there best team they could get and Sweden with half the team from SEL, and still Sweden won.
Finland is good yes but still not really that good to win a big tournament. Maybe WC when the bigger nations send average players and Finland having their best team...

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Can´t understand why you feel sorry for Finland and mention 2006 Olympic!!!?? Why, cuz they lost against a better swedish team??? WC in Finland that game I can understand that´s something else. Finland having there best team they could get and Sweden with half the team from SEL, and still Sweden won.
Finland is good yes but still not really that good to win a big tournament. Maybe WC when the bigger nations send average players and Finland having their best team...

Needed to bumb this thread just to display your ridiculous bitterness over the fact that Finland placed higher than Sweden in the tournament? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->