WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Thanks for the support. I'd like you to know that Latvia is my second favourite right after Finland. My wife is Latvian and through her I've lived through (figuratively) some Latvian history.

Thank you! Greetings to your wife! I hope she hasn't left Latvia in her heart!

HOLY DIVER, YOU'RE THE STAR OF THE MASQUERADE!

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Thank you! Greetings to your wife! I hope she hasn't left Latvia in her heart!

HOLY DIVER, YOU'RE THE STAR OF THE MASQUERADE!

You can bet she has never left Latvia! Although I am a fan of Russian hockey, I'm someone to completely support Baltic sovereignty!

Like Wall

I am Registered User
May 2, 2006
Letu zeme
Thanx, Boucicaut! :) Well, I guess, that's about it! The Ice Hockey feast is over! Since I don't see NHL (maybe there is somewhere a live coverage on the net???), then I must say - Farewell, till the next IIHC! Maybe, I will attend these boards the next few days, until the dust has settled down! Oh, is Victoria Cup gonna get launched this year? Well, anyway, see you around!

Another tribute to Finns! Ruutu being bad boy

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Finland wasn't a favourite before the tournament in Turin.

They became the favourite by stunning play all the way until they got Lundqvisted in the final.

True, but it is not only Lundqvist, it was also team Sweden taking advantage of the chances they got. No excuses. Give some credit man.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Thanx, Boucicaut! :) Well, I guess, that's about it! The Ice Hockey feast is over! Since I don't see NHL (maybe there is somewhere a live coverage on the net???), then I must say - Farewell, till the next IIHC! Maybe, I will attend these boards the next few days, until the dust has settled down! Oh, is Victoria Cup gonna get launched this year? Well, anyway, see you around!

Another tribute to Finns! Ruutu being bad boy

See you next year! You've been a much better sport that i could ever hope to be have been back in the 90'ies or 80'ies (in terms of the Soviet teams back then... I just could not admit we were worse).

Boucicaut

hdw

Jul 9, 2006
Stockholm
True, but it is not only Lundqvist, it was also team Sweden taking advantage of the chances they got. No excuses. Give some credit man.

Well yes, Lidström, Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, PJ, Magic Twins, Z and others did some stuff too.

Which was why Sweden was a one of the favourites going in to the tournament.

My point was that Finland wasn't expected, pre-tournament, to be in that final.

So losing it was bad, but it can't be called choking.

That silver, and the the new one, was performing above expectations and ranking.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Well yes, Lidström, Forsberg, Sundin, Alfredsson, PJ, Magic Twins, Z and others did some stuff too.

That silver, and the the new one, was performing above expectations and ranking.

I hear you, but I'm crying nevertheless...

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Don't forget Holmström and Påhlsson. They were huge contributors the entire tournament for us. But yeah, that team was awesome, despite missing guys like Norström, Nylander and Näslund.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Congrats to Finland for not quitting when they easily could have, and to its fans for the kind words and not vanishing on defeat like Russian fans usually do. I have tremendous respect for Finnish hockey.

This has to be one of the most satifying Canadian wins ever. To go to the worlds with its youngest team ever, go 9-and-0, win in Moscow, win a third title in five years and a record 24th overall is fantastic. Hopefully this will end all the crap about Canada not being able to win outside North America, but I doubt it.

And Moscow should be embarrased by all the empty seats, especially for not showing up for a soldout final game just because your team didn't make it. It's so disrespectful.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
Well I can´t deny I don´t hate to say that I was right as usual when I predicted Finland would once again reach a final they didn´t even try winning. Too bad they had to ruin it all for the majority of hockey fans around the world that wanted a Russia-Canada final.

Not playing hockey in a final with the exception of what, three or four minutes in the 3rd period, just ain´t the way to behave. It´s just not right and I hope they´ll feel great shame about it...just great great shame.

And who would have guessed that Lehtonen would choke in a final? Norrena would have been a much better choice...he seems to be more of a winner than Lehtonen.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
This has to be one of the most satifying Canadian wins ever. To go to the worlds with its youngest team ever, go 9-and-0

That is something truly impressive.

Well I can´t deny I don´t hate to say that I was right as usual when I predicted Finland would once again reach a final they didn´t even try winning. Too bad they had to ruin it all for the majority of hockey fans around the world that wanted a Russia-Canada final.

Not playing hockey in a final with the exception of what, three or four minutes in the 3rd period, just ain´t the way to behave. It´s just not right and I hope they´ll feel great shame about it...just great great shame.

You don't think the incredible performance by the Canadian team had anything to do with it? The way they completely dominated and controlled the game for two periods shutting team Finland down completely.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
That is something truly impressive.

You don't think the incredible performance by the Canadian team had anything to do with it? The way they completely dominated and controlled the game for two periods shutting team Finland down completely.
Don't forget who you're replying to; Lindros_for_rizzle_. His posts are never logical.

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden

And who would have guessed that Lehtonen would choke in a final? Norrena would have been a much better choice...he seems to be more of a winner than Lehtonen.

Um, I hope you are not serious :huh:

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
I don´t need to respond to that cause the game did. Watch the game again and it will speak for me. It said I was right.

So what you're basicly saying is that Finland should have lost the game against Russia even if they were better? Riiiiiiight....*cough*weirdo*cough*

emb24*

finland didn't choke, they lost to a better team AND are to be congratulated for knocking out the pre tourney favorite in the semis

:teach:

Lalonde

Aug 20, 2004
Principal causes of this victory:

1.Andy Murray
2.Andy Murray
3.Andy Murray
4.Rick Nash
5.PP and PK units
6. Defence

Andy Murray should coach the 2010 team

ABSOLUTELY. even not should, but MUST;)

BOYS BRING IT HOME :yo:

Sampe

Feb 27, 2002
Vantaa
Team Finland in finals:

1992 World Championships: Loss
1994 World Championships: Loss
1995 World Championships: Win
1998 World Championships: Loss
1999 World Championships: Loss
2001 World Championships: Loss
2004 World Cup: Loss
2006 Olympics: Loss
2007 World Championships: Loss

That is choking.

I'll leave the semantics of "choking" for others, but as far as not being able to give your best goes:

1992 World Championships: Loss
Somewhat agreed. Silver medal was clearly an overachievement for the team, but they faced another overachiever in Sweden (who had something like 10 World Champs debutants that year) in the final and lost the game due to being far too nervous. Understandable, but still it was one of Finland's weakest games (if not the weakest) in the tournament.

1994 World Championships: Loss
Disagreed. Finland actually outplayed Canada in the final, but Bill Ranford was magnificent in net and sadly the referee made a blunder on Canada's tying goal. The shootout was fair and square though and thus Canada deserved their victory, but the loss can be attributed to plain old bad luck IMO.

1995 World Championships: Win
Nuff said.

1998 World Championships: Loss
Disagreed. Clearly an overachievement and a fine 2-game battle against a superior Sweden. Finland even had a legitimate goal disallowed which sadly decided the outcome of the finals. Sweden was better in terms of overall play though, so no hard feelings.

1999 World Championships: Loss
Not sure about this one, but probably not choking. Finland relied heavily on their first line and loosing their best player at the end of the first final was a major blow. Still they managed to beat Czech Republic in the 2nd final thanks to some luck and Kiprusoff's brilliant goaltending, but Czech Republic simply had more gas left in the tank in the overtime. Loosing the first final can be argued as we did have the best line of the tournament, but I personally wouldn't call it much of an underachievement.

2001 World Championships: Loss
This one I agree with. Finland won the shots 49 to 35 or something like that and were leading 2-0 at the end of the 2nd period. Then they just completely lost their edge.

2004 World Cup: Loss
Only choking as far as goaltending goes and very minor choking at that. Kiprusoff did let in one soft goal, but otherwise played just as incredibly well as he had in the previous games. Sadly, it was a one goal game...but hardly choking when it comes to team effort.

2006 Olympics: Loss
Somewhat agreed. Finland had played the best hockey of the tournament up to that level and failed to reach that level in the final. Niittymäki also played his only sub-excellent game of the tournament, much like Kiprusoff a year and a half earlier. Still, it was a combination of bad luck (Koivu breaking his stick) and Lidström's great shot that decided the game. Besides, after the game winner Finland tried their hardest until the end and came really close.

2007 World Championships: Loss
Agreed, actually. Canada was better both on paper and on the ice and deserved the title, make no mistake about it, but I do feel that Finland could have done better. They had no problem to match Canada until the first penalty, at which point the nervousness of some players started to spread within the team. They didn't manage to come back until they had nothing left to lose and Canada stopped skating. Lehtonen was also a bit of a disappointment in the final, much like Kiprusoff and Niittymäki before him. Coincidence? I sure hope so.

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Principal causes of this victory:

1.Andy Murray
2.Andy Murray
3.Andy Murray

This is something I could agree with. 1997, 2003 he did it and now again. That's incredible, Murray is like a magician. I really appreciate Finnish coaching but something we should have better. Psychological coaching! 1995 we took it because Curt Lindström was phenomenal at psychological side.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Congrats to Canada. Two things I will keep with me from this tournament, Russia played as a team for the entire tournament. They haven't done that in a long time. The marginals are small, didn't take them all the way, but now they were in the running.

Rich Nash, he is a wonderful hockeyplayer. I wonder if he isn't even a better fit on the big ice then in the NHL. Though I really like him. After Crosby, he is the best in the World IMO.

Hopefully this will end all the crap about Canada not being able to win outside North America, but I doubt it.

Yeah. Canada can defenitly win outside NA, if they play the right way. Or they always got a chance, but they got the same odds as everyone else when they play like they did this tourney.

You just can't pickup the best and let them work it out in international hockey. With more time and bigger ice the game is much more system orianted, you give the other team a too big advantage.

Pica

Jan 4, 2006
:clap: to Canada, unbeatable all tournament long. Skill, mental&physical toughness, discipline, coaching...everything was there. Eased off a bit on 3rd period and almost let us in it.

Finns overachieved to reach final (like many, didnt like our defence) but in tournament that is decided by one game we had a chance for gold, in longer series Canadiens would have been even more dominant. No shame to lose gold, gave all we had :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad