WC Final: May 13th GDT - Finland vs Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faktisti*

this just isnt a fair game. sweden won everything last year, why cant we do the same? mayby we win this whole **** someday. erkka made a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
As a last stament for this tournament: thank you for EW, all the players and others involved. We have had great tournaments and surprised many as underdogs during past couple of years.

We lost, but with the boots on. Every player gave what they got and got up after hits without playing dead like some other teams. After all, it is fair to say that this time we won the silver.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Good game, Finns displayed what they always display, never say die attitude, gotta respect that.

Teme-84

Apr 4, 2007
Kokkola, Finland
Well.. I don't know what to say. I guess this was the most bitter way to lose. First it seems the game is over even if there's no 60 min played yet. Then, surprisingly Finland is down by only one goal and more than 2 minutes left, so suddenly we still have chances. Then.. :shakehead Congratulations Canada, what an incredible team. Such a team against which nothing is enough in the gold medal game.

Mike Lowrey

Apr 8, 2007
Rick Nash was a great choice as tournament MVP. He scored the big goals when needed. He sealed his MVP case with that spectacular goal.

Disagree big time. So many guys played big. Toews out played Nash. Same with Lombardi and E. Staal. Ward was a rock. But this team was lead by a great performance by their cpatian, and he deserves the praise.

Shane Doan should have been on the tournament all-star team. His contributions on the ice and in the locker room, especially in light of the Kindergarten libel show in Parliament, showed his true character and leadership.

No, he should have been named tournament MVP.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
Gotta say that Silver medal is starting to taste like crap. We lost to superior team, crappy play from Finland and that defensive corp was too bad.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
They will show the game from the same giant screen in Senaatintori (Helsinki) that was used yesterday to show the Eurovision song contest final for 25000 (?) people. Too bad I have a meeting early tomorrow morning. There are all the possibilities for a great hockey festival in Helsinki: sun is shining, beer is cheap and Team Finland is full of self-confidence...

A big hand for Yle and Mikael Junger!

http://www.jatkoaika.com/maajoukkue.php?sivu=uutiset&id=7015
My gosh, is Eurovision that popular?

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Come on guys...

Gotta say that Silver medal is starting to taste like crap. We lost to superior team, crappy play from Finland and that defensive corp was too bad.

some of the Finland group have a "we're just too small" chip on your shoulders.

What your country does with it's size is just incredible.

I love the style of hockey you have developed in the face of "Euro fruit cake hockey" rules. It has grit, it has heart, and it's always competitive.

Kudos to Finnish hockey:handclap:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
some of the Finland group have a "we're just too small" chip on your shoulders.

What your country does with it's size is just incredible.

I love the style of hockey you have developed in the face of "Euro fruit cake hockey" rules. It has grit, it has heart, and it's always competitive.

Kudos to Finnish hockey:handclap:

Well thanks. I guess we are right now the best losers in this great hockey world.. Ok, enough self-pity.. Nash is looking like one of the best big ice players in the world. I like his style a lot..

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006

Before Lordi: no-one even knew that the song contest is on

After Lordi and because the contest was held in Helsinki: 60 000 people gathered in to the Dome Church square in Helsinki to witness the contest from a giant square

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki

Well, it was held in Finland this year so there was a lot of people watching it. Especially since Finland won last year, there was actually some hope for this year as well. The music there is crap, but it's always fun to win something.

About the game:

No excuses. Canadian D was too good against a tired looking Finnish team and the Finnish defense was one of the worst they've had in the Worlds in the last ten years. Even Lehtonen had one of his weaker games today. Only positive surprise was the referee. I was literally banging my head against the wall when I heard we got the same crappy ref 3 games in a row, but he was OK today. He still lacks the balls to make important calls, but at least he stayed away from the crappy ones today.

Saravo made too many mistakes in the own zone, Laamanen in the offensive zone and Söderholm just is one big mistake. Their game improved a lot when they benched him and put J. Ruutu on D.

All that's left now is the little hope for the future from seeing our young guys play so well in this tournament. Koivu, Lehtonen, Ruutu and Koistinen were all solid to say the least, although a bit shaky in the final.

The great thing about Finland losing these finals is that when they finally do win one, it's going to be so much sweeter.

Congrats to Canada. Again.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
You don't see what I see....

Well thanks. I guess we are right now the best losers in this great hockey world.. Ok, enough self-pity.. Nash is looking like one of the best big ice players in the world. I like his style a lot..

hockey in Canada is deep....and I mean Marianas Trench deep.

We have so many kids playing hockey it's not funny.

Guys like me who would be paid six figure salaries to coach in the U.S. - coach as a volunteer for the love of the game en-masse.

We are hockey Hannibal Lecter's.

We love hockey, a nice Chianti and fava beans...smack..smack...smack o'lips. :eek:

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I must say that I felt emotionally drained after the semifinal win...it was the first time ever we heard Finlandia being played in Moscow after a WC hockey game. IMO it was a big moment, even if one takes into account that Soviet times were different. I was almost crying after Koivu's overtime goal...thank god our team didn't feel as drained, at least they challenged Canada in the third period.

No excuses today, the better team won fair and square.

Muscle Bob

Aug 7, 2005
Russia
www.russianhockeyfans.com
EroSennin said:
Well, it was held in Finland this year so there was a lot of people watching it. Especially since Finland won last year, there was actually some hope for this year as well. The music there is crap, but it's always fun to win something.
Well, most of songs are really crap, but there are some fun songs, like Russian.

Oh! Don’t call me funny bunny
I’ll blow your money money
I’ll get you to my bad ass
Spinning for you
Oh! I’ll make it easy honey
I’ll take your money yummy
I’ve got my *****es
Standing up next to me

Aoh ! (c)

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Wow... Us finns must be the biggest chokers in history of a mankind. When the going gets tough, tough gets going... and Finland keeps choking... Why is it so damn hard to win these finals?
Uh... choking is when you're expected to win because on paper, you're better and despite that, you lose. I'm sorry to tell you this but Canadians on paper is better and are expected to win. Russians are the chokers because they were supposed to win it all this year and again, they failed. That is choking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad