AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: Youre a prospect until youre 30 and youll like it!

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Ponomarev, I’ll call him Pony, looks good. Just had a couple chances. Looks good at getting open, not just in the O zone but everywhere.
I don't have the luxury of the AHL package, but in just looking at his stats from this year, he's now at 1 point in the last 15 games. Checks standings - looks like Wolves third to last in AHL scoring, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and conclude Pony must be a victim of circumstances. Oh and Happy Birthday to him yesterday.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I don't have the luxury of the AHL package, but in just looking at his stats from this year, he's now at 1 point in the last 15 games. Checks standings - looks like Wolves third to last in AHL scoring, so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt and conclude Pony must be a victim of circumstances. Oh and Happy Birthday to him yesterday.
In case it wasn’t clear, Pono is basically Teddy Blueger…he’s not going to be a good scorer at the NHL level …

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
It’s not clear, he’s played one game

He’s played one game FOR US… he’s played professional hockey for several years now…he will be treated on Sullivan’s roster, if and when he comes up, like Blueger lol

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He’s played one game FOR US… he’s played professional hockey for several years now…he will be treated on Sullivan’s roster, if and when he comes up, like Blueger lol
He’s got 85 points in 110 AHL games. That’s pretty decent. He could be a Blueger like player, he projects as a 3C ideally. But it’s too hard to say atm, he had better AHL numbers than guys like Rust did.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
He’s got 85 points in 110 AHL games. That’s pretty decent. He could be a Blueger like player, he projects as a 3C ideally. But it’s too hard to say atm, he had better AHL numbers than guys like Rust did.
His point was, he hasn't been Sullivanized yet. He'll get those scoring urges beat right out of him.

Reactions: td_ice and Andy99

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Poulin with no points but was the screen on their 1st goal and he just scored their 2nd after a great rush by Gruden who is his LW.

Blomqvist has seen a Penguins amount of breakaways and shorthanded chances.

Not noticed Ponomarev too much but he’s not been invisible either. I’m sticking with the Haula comparison. Smaller but quick and strong and plays in traffic, just seems smart with the puck. PBP guy is pronouncing it Poo-nuh-MAR-ev, and he’s pretty diligent with the ethnic pronunciations so that must be what Pony wants.

Had to retype this 4 times because the site kept blowing up. Also wrote up an interesting sequence around Ouellet but lost it and didn’t feel like retyping that.

Last edited:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Jet Greaves performing better in the A than he did against the Pens in the NHL recently. Cleveland with only 13 shots with 5 minutes left in the game?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Jet Greaves performing better in the A than he did against the Pens in the NHL recently. Cleveland with only 13 shots with 5 minutes left in the game?
He’s gotten gypped by the scorekeepers, couple times he made a good save but no shot was credited. Probably at least 3 more shots.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Baby Pens surrender lead late and lose in OT PP goal despite outshooting opponent 2-1 or so. "Nuf said.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Not noticed Ponomarev too much but he’s not been invisible either. I’m sticking with the Haula comparison. Smaller but quick and strong and plays in traffic, just seems smart with the puck. PBP guy is pronouncing it Poo-nuh-MAR-ev, and he’s pretty diligent with the ethnic pronunciations so that must be what Pony wants.
Great, we can call him Poon. I'm too traumatized by Ponikarovsky for the pony talk.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Poulin with no points but was the screen on their 1st goal and he just scored their 2nd after a great rush by Gruden who is his LW.

Blomqvist has seen a Penguins amount of breakaways and shorthanded chances.

Had to retype this 4 times because the site kept blowing up. Also wrote up an interesting sequence around Ouellet but lost it and didn’t feel like retyping that.

Haven't been too impressed on the footage I've watched on him or seen from WBS.

His injury from earlier in the season is the type of thing that can completely destory a prospect's career at his age.. especially one that is as fringe as he is. Big PIT vibes here though...

1710794363027.png

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Haven't been too impressed on the footage I've watched on him or seen from WBS.

His injury from earlier in the season is the type of thing that can completely destory a prospect's career at his age.. especially one that is as fringe as he is. Big PIT vibes here though...

View attachment 837904
Did he get to his game though?
How were his dump-ins?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A non-surgical knee injury? If that derails a career he was probably garbage to begin with.

Reactions: Al Smith

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
PBP guy is pronouncing it Poo-nuh-MAR-ev, and he’s pretty diligent with the ethnic pronunciations so that must be what Pony wants.
Absolutely not, lol. He's from Moscow and is a Russian speaker, so it's originally Пономарёв, which should be pronounced "puh-nuh-muhr-YEOUV," stress on the last syllable.

Reactions: Al Smith and Jacob

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
St. Ivany w/ 3 assists.

Did Rathbone get a major injury in the last couple years or something? How does one start off their AHL career as a ppg defenseman and then completely fall off?

Reactions: Jacob

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
St. Ivany w/ 3 assists.

Zohorna's been playing well lately too, but it's obvious that we've seen the last of him. Ty Smith has been better as well after being liberated from the Penguin organization (not that Carolina necessarily has any big plans for him either).

Reactions: Darren McCord

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
St. Ivany’s been the most improved player from last season. He’s downright solid and a legit NHL call-up option.

He and Samorukov are RFAs and I’d re-sign both. A righty and a lefty that can play both sides, both relatively young still. Kinda thinking longer term that a guy like Ilyin or Murashov might be more willing to come over if we have Russians in the system, too.

Seems like Fedun is winding his career down, they’ve sat him frequently when they’ve been over the veteran limit, so I’d probably try to re-sign Ouellet to be the next captain. ‘Nother guy that can be a call up in an emergency and plays both sides.

Could go either way on Rathbone but with no Smith and no true PP QBs in the system you might as well bring him back. He’ll probably get more points without Smith.

Then Pickering, Collins incoming and Belliveau coming up from Wheeling. Maybe just need another veteran RD.

Reactions: Turin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4