AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Cool, ZAR and Simon have played in 94 games combined, and it would be more if ZAR didn’t get Covid. DOC also played when we had a bunch of injuries - they needed players in the lineup or they could forfeit.

Thank you to Mike Bylsma for using a Wilkes barre player instead of dressing only 11 forwards.

DOC produced at a 19 point pace.

ZAR producing at a 18 point pace.

The travesty!!!!

The sleepy!!!!

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I mean I’d rather play DOC and waive Simon. Simon has no future here and is a warm body. It makes much more sense to see what you have in DOC or Zohorna.
I prefer them myself, but at the same time they aren't world beaters either. Just sayin.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Puus had a sick little between the legs pass to a Robert shot and O’Connor cashed in on the rebound. Was a pure high end skill instinct play.

I guess he scored to send the game to OT too?

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Why not try Puus in the top 9? We have 7 or 8 guys in the lineup that are incapable of scoring right now. If he sucks, oh well. But to continue to just assume all of these AHL guys won’t make any impact is just drinking the kool aid to me.

Bylsma’s stubbornness and Sleepy’s laziness is wearing off on the team.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Why not try Puus in the top 9? We have 7 or 8 guys in the lineup that are incapable of scoring right now. If he sucks, oh well. But to continue to just assume all of these AHL guys won’t make any impact is just drinking the kool aid to me.

Bylsma’s stubbornness and Sleepy’s laziness is wearing off on the team.

If there's a prospect you should be clamoring for in the top 9 it's DOC.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If there's a prospect you should be clamoring for in the top 9 it's DOC.
I really don’t care who gets the nod, but this lineup sucks right now. Although, DOC never really impressed me all that much, but that could be due to who he played with here.

You basically need to start from scratch with the lineup decisions. That’s why we need a new coach - no more pairs or preconceived bias. The only thing set in stone should be Sid and Geno on lines one and two, and ZAR and Simon out. I feel like this team continues to shoot itself in the foot with its lineup decisions before the puck is even dropped.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
TBF, you could make a case for Puus, Nylander, Z, DOC and even Poulin given a legit shot.

And not just throwing them on the 4th line for 8 minutes. How would DOC look with Malkin for 5 games; or Puus. Maybe throw Nylander with Crosby for 5, what do you have to lose? If it worked, everyone gets bumped and guys like Simon exit.

Sully did this in 16/17, but won't rock the boat 6 years later. This is why all NHL coaches should have a 3-4 year shelf life.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
TBF, you could make a case for Puus, Nylander, Z, DOC and even Poulin given a legit shot.

And not just throwing them on the 4th line for 8 minutes. How would DOC look with Malkin for 5 games; or Puus. Maybe throw Nylander with Crosby for 5, what do you have to lose? If it worked, everyone gets bumped and guys like Simon exit.

Sully did this in 16/17, but won't rock the boat 6 years later. This is why all NHL coaches should have a 3-4 year shelf life.

Who’s Poulin?

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Can I just say, that when Guentzel got his shot as a sophomore, he had the following stat line for the season in WBS:
33 Games, 21 goals, 21 assists, 42 points, +21 . That's after 14 points in 10 playoff games for WBS in his rookie year.

This is just not comparable to anything we see today.Likely/unfortunately because Guentzel is a different level of talent, even considering that WBS was overall much better then.

Or take Carter Rowney who had: 26 games, 10 goals, 11 assists, 21 points, +5. That would be quite easily the most impressive stat-line of any forward on the WBS Penguins this season except for DOC, and more so because Rowney in the NHL was/is a 4th line grunt kind of guy who could PK and win a RH faceoff.

Would I like for DOC and Zohorna to play right now? Yes. But it is fair to point out that no one has been making it obvious, and the one who has been closer to making the argument has played more in the NHL than in WBS (DOC).
As he has looked dominant in recent games - looking at production and plus/minus at least - he is also likely getting recalled soon.

Last edited:

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Can I just say, that when Guentzel got his shot as a sophomore in, he had the following stat line for the season in WBS:
33 Games, 21 goals, 21 assists, 42 points, +21 . That's after 14 points in 10 playoff games for WBS in his rookie year.

This is just not comparable to anything we see today.Likely/unfortunately because Guentzel is a different level of talent, even considering that WBS was overall much better then.

Or take Carter Rowney who had: 26 games, 10 goals, 11 assists, 21 points, +5. That would be quite easily the most impressive stat-line of any forward on the WBS Penguins this season except for DOC, and more so because Rowney in the NHL was a 4th line grunt kind of guy who could PK and win a RH faceoff.

Would I like for DOC and Zohorna to play right now? Yes. But it is fair to point out that no one has been making it obvious, and the one who has been closer to making the argument has played more in the NHL than in WBS (DOC).
As he has looked dominant in recent games - looking at production and plus/minus at least - he is also likely getting recalled soon.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Who was Jake's teammates in WBS? Who was his coach? The only real way of learning is to throw guys out there with the top 2-3 lines and give them an extended look. The standings say that they should be doing this right now, their place in the Playoffs is beyond solid.

Maybe all of the talent in WBS is in fact subpar. I just don't see any downside with trying to find a diamond in a rough, especially when this team desperately needs one.

Reactions: The Old Master

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Stats don't tell the whole story. Who was Jake's teammates in WBS? Who was his coach? The only real way of learning is to throw guys out there with the top 2-3 lines and give them an extended look. The standings say that they should be doing this right now, their place in the Playoffs is beyond solid.

Maybe all of the talent in WBS is in fact subpar. I just don't see any downside with trying to find a diamond in a rough, especially when this team desperately needs one.

That is actually the opposite of what has proven to be successful in terms of development.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
It's really hard to stomach seeing guys like Zohorna and DOC not getting playing time with the big club with the likes of Simon and ZAR on the team. Despite playing in exaggerated time frames, Zohorna has 6 points in 16 career games. Simon and ZAR have about 19 points in 90+ combined games this season. Now, producing on offense isn't the end-all of a quality hockey player, especially at the NHL level, but there are several factors to consider:

1. The Penguins have more or less qualified for the playoffs. Why not give NHL experience to these players? I realize DOC was hurt, but it's been about a month since Zohorna has seen any game action, and I don't think he's injured (he's in the WBS lineup). It's not like he was playing poorly in these games either. Against the Kings, he replaced Heinen, who was a last-second scratch, and performed admirably, logging 14+ minutes and receiving 2nd PP time. This hasn't been an outlier, and he's had other notable performances, including several times where he's earned line promotions. He's only played three games since.

2. The Penguins have had issues scoring 5v5. Dominik Simon has scored 1 goal (1 point) in the past 15 games. His ATOI has dipped to to below 10 minutes and hasn't exceeded 9:23 since Jan 28 (11 games). Is rotting Zohorna in the press box or dumping him down to AHL really helping his development or the big club?

Brock McGinn has 5 points in his past 25 games. ZAR has 2 points in his last 22 games. Rodrigues has 4 points in his last 22 games. Boyle's been a bit more noticeable on the scoresheet recently, but let's not act like he's lighting it up.

These players seem to be not producing, and the 4th liners and bottom 6ers seem to be getting fewer minutes of ice time as the weeks go by. Is the solution really giving 37-year-old Jeff Carter 18+ minutes of ice time a night? Should 34-year-old Sidney Crosby really be seeing ice times of 21+ minutes a game as much as he has been (5 of the last 7)? It doesn't seem like these players are trusted enough to get the ice time anymore.

3. The person coaching this team watched rookies and second-year players excel in his first two Cup-winning seasons.

Let's not act like Bryan Rust or Tom Kuhnackl were blowing doors in with WBS before their call ups either. Let's not act like there's a one-size fits all to how a player should be performing before a call up. These same players were contributing to a bottom 6 that could control play and score goals on back-to-back championship squads.

Mark Friedman has looked awesome in the past two games. This was the first time in 40+ games the Penguins had to use a defenseman out of their top 6? Did Sullivan not think to rotate guys out of the lineup every once in awhile, especially an older veteran on the d line like Dumoulin or Letang?

People are worried about acquiring a backup goaltender who is a bit more reliable than DeSmith has been. Do these same people realize the next man up for the D was a guy who hadn't played in 47 games? Not to mention, there's every bit of reason to keep trying guys in the bottom pairing with a fringe #6 like Chad Ruhwedel there. Why is perceived mediocre safety outweighing potential?

The minute Blueger went down, Sullivan lost his damn mind. His solution to a bottom 6 wasn't to experiment and move players up and down and in and out of the lineup. It was to basically pretend the 6 forwards didn't exist.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
There's a combination of resentment for guys like ZAR, Boyle, and Simon, mixed with Shiny New Toy prospect syndrome here. ZAR's garbage to watch, Simon's dookie, Boyle's forgettable, but guys like DOC, Zoho, and whoever else is down in that shithole in WBS ain't anything special either. Would I prefer we gave them a shot in case we win the lotto and someone down there isn't a never-was nothingmancer? Sure. Do I give a shit if it ever happens? Nah, not really, and I don't plan on holding my breath because our coach loves him some ZAR, Boyle, and Simon. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad