AHL: WBS Penguins Thread: season is over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What's wrong with Cranberry? What areas do you suppose are better in western PA?

Maybe somewhere within 30 mins of the city? Shady side, Fox Chapel, Sewickley are all nicer suburban areas while the strip district and south side are younger spots.

People live in Cranberry for cheaper taxes since it’s in another county. Cranberry is very far down my list of spots here.

Shadyside? LMAO

I prefer the suburbs but Sewickly and Fox chapel are good, not a fan of Shadyside.

It takes almost the same amount of time to get from the middle of Cranberry Township to PPG Paints Arena as it does to get to PPG from Sewickley, and probably close to the same if not longer from Fox Chapel if you're coming in Rt. 28 during rush hour.

Seriously, it's a hop onto 79, onto 279, and you're there. Cranberry is less than 30 minutes away. It's not out in the sticks.

I would agree that Sewickley and Shadyside are far nicer communities, though Shadyside is much more compact. Fox Chapel is also nicer looking because it feels almost rural and estate-like, but there are fewer amenities and it can be harder to get to. Cranberry has a lot of amenities as a major suburban spot, so there are people will find the appeal.

Cranberry is fine it’s just very suburby. Sprawl, big boxes and chain restaurants. But it’s not like it’s unsafe or anything so could be worse.

Most of the Penguins live in the Wexford/Gibsonia/Cranberry area. And why not, they’re not trying to put down roots here.

To each their own, but I hate suburban sprawl. And in the Pittsburgh area, Cranberry seems to encapsulate that the most. Wexford/Gibsonia/Cranberry are a hard no for me. Makes sense for the hockey players to live in this area, considering most of their time in PGH is at the practice rink.

The Pirates and Steelers have their stadiums and facilities within the city. And I know more of those players live within city limits (Lawrenceville, South Side, etc).

If money weren't of concern, I would not mind living in: Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park, The Strip District, Mexican War Streets, Lawrenceville (if the place has parking... which...), Oakmont, Aspinwall, Dormont, or Mount Lebanon (cc @DocEmrickSkitters).

hallander been good this season?

Don't listen to Pixies. He's in his first pro season in N.A and adjusting to a coach that is also learning how to play the whack system the big club plays.

But his drive and determination on shifts is there, he's a heady player and you can see he has some "Blueger" qualities with his placement on the ice to intercept, Gruden does it well too, but Hallander has some nice quickness to his game, after this season he should be fine with some added muscle and adjustment to the North American game.

This is a WBS team that isn't performing the way they could be, even Chaput, an AHL vet that has always performed at he AHL level for multiple teams, is well below his average ppg. It should put Puus' numbers in perspective, the fact that he has the statline he does, shows he's capable of so much more. With a better coach, he would have made it even harder to not call him up and actually play him.

But here we are, JD Forrest-ing shit up.

Production-wise for Hallander, especially since he has mostly been on the top line all season long, he's been a disappointment. He's totally more of a bottom-6 player. He skates, forechecks, and plays all zones quite well. But he's not as physical as most people thought he'd be. There were previous comparisons for him to Hornqvist, and that's just straight up wrong.

I wrote this about him in August 2020, and think it is still applicable:

"Last week I spent a decent amount of time watching and reading about Hallander. His Timra IK SuperElit highlights sure show why he got bumped up two hockey levels as his skating blew everyone away at that lower level.

Due to said skating, he was a huge pain in the ass on the forecheck and created a ton of offense because of it. You can tell he's got the smarts and I think his hands are underrated.

In the subsequent years, his skating didn't stand out nearly as much, but that's to be expected with the increased level of competition. His forechecking, smarts, and hands still stood out though. Looking at game highlights, I think he was one of his team's top PKers. I didn't see lineups posted, but he looked to mostly play LW. Though I suspect he's smart enough to play RW as well.

Honestly, I think Hallander is what the Pens brass think and hope ZAR is. But he's not physical."

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To each their own, but I hate suburban sprawl. And in the Pittsburgh area, Cranberry seems to encapsulate that the most. Wexford/Gibsonia/Cranberry are a hard no for me. Makes sense for the hockey players to live in this area, considering most of their time in PGH is at the practice rink.

The Pirates and Steelers have their stadiums and facilities within the city. And I know more of those players live within city limits (Lawrenceville, South Side, etc).

If money weren't of concern, I would not mind living in: Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park, The Strip District, Mexican War Streets, Lawrenceville (if the place has parking... which...), Oakmont, Aspinwall, Dormont, or Mount Lebanon (cc @DocEmrickSkitters).

Production-wise for Hallander, especially since he has mostly been on the top line all season long, he's been a disappointment. He's totally more of a bottom-6 player. He skates, forechecks, and plays all zones quite well. But he's not as physical as most people thought he'd be. There were previous comparisons for him to Hornqvist, and that's just straight up wrong.

"Last week I spent a decent amount of time watching and reading about Hallander. His Timra IK SuperElit highlights sure show why he got bumped up two hockey levels as his skating blew everyone away at that lower level.

Due to said skating, he was a huge pain in the ass on the forecheck and created a ton of offense because of it. You can tell he's got the smarts and I think his hands are underrated.

In the subsequent years, his skating didn't stand out nearly as much, but that's to be expected with the increased level of competition. His forechecking, smarts, and hands still stood out though. Looking at game highlights, I think he was one of his team's top PKers. I didn't see lineups posted, but he looked to mostly play LW. Though I suspect he's smart enough to play RW as well.

Honestly, I think Hallander is what the Pens brass think and hope ZAR is. But he's not physical."
I feel like they compare any Euro that has even a slight edge to their game as a Horny type.

Kasper and Hallander had both. I like Hallander on the top line as the puck chaser. He definitely does not look confident with the puck, I really wish we had a better coach there because you watch wbs and you see a lot of good young lads that aren't even understanding their potential.

JD might be a good coach some day, but he's not someone that's had enough time as an assistant coach to be a head coach. He should be coaching in juniors or something first.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005

I have family in oakmont and a grandfather that passed who owned a business there. They don’t make a lot of money and live right in town like a block from the bakery. I wouldn’t compare that town to others you’ve listed. Unless you’re looking to live directly across from the golf course. Those houses are huge.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

WBS put Bellerive out there on the top line at the end instead of Puustinen. Wonder if Puustinen was hurt or if WBS was going with a more defensively responsible player.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I do think the Pens will see a number of these guys next year on bottom 6 positions. I am all for depth and size and developing younger guys to see if they can develop and maybe a couple move into a top 6 role. I like Poulin at center as he seems to be a bigger body who is playing with more focus. The concern is sully simply is somewhat hesitant to play young guys who can be better than his guys. Clearly they are not as experienced as Reese, Simon and E Rod so for now DOC who needs to get back his physical health seems to be the only guy who has Sullys confidence.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I do think the Pens will see a number of these guys next year on bottom 6 positions. I am all for depth and size and developing younger guys to see if they can develop and maybe a couple move into a top 6 role. I like Poulin at center as he seems to be a bigger body who is playing with more focus. The concern is sully simply is somewhat hesitant to play young guys who can be better than his guys. Clearly they are not as experienced as Reese, Simon and E Rod so for now DOC who needs to get back his physical health seems to be the only guy who has Sullys confidence.
The problem is that he’s been resistant to trying AHL guys for two seasons now. The only time he gives them a shot, for the most part, is when we are decimated with injuries. Why wouldn’t he try Puus right now with Geno for a couple of games?

With no assistant GM right now, who is even running the Wbs team?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem is that he’s been resistant to trying AHL guys for two seasons now. The only time he gives them a shot, for the most part, is when we are decimated with injuries. Why wouldn’t he try Puus right now with Geno for a couple of games?

With no assistant GM right now, who is even running the Wbs team?

Drew O’ Connor played 20+ games to start this season.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Drew O’ Connor played 20+ games to start this season.
Cool, ZAR and Simon have played in 94 games combined, and it would be more if ZAR didn’t get Covid. DOC also played when we had a bunch of injuries - they needed players in the lineup or they could forfeit.

Thank you to Mike Bylsma for using a Wilkes barre player instead of dressing only 11 forwards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad