Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
We could convince that bafoon GM Chiarelli that Simmonds would put up 40 goals with McJesus, and help their power play. Something along the lines on Simmonds + Hagg for Draisaitl. Hagg would obviously bolster their D corps for the future.

:naughty:

It's well-documented that Chia loves his one-for-one trades. So if we're fleecing him, i'd say a likely scenario would be Simmonds for Puljujarvi. :sarcasm:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
It's sad, but it's time. A 1st round pick and a B prospect would be enough for me. And wherever Simmonds ends up I hope he plays well. It won't look great on Hexy but, I hope Simmonds still turns it around and has a 30+ goal year.

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Between being beaten by a season of injuries, Simmer has been neutered by the lousy positioning of his line mates by Dave Hakstol. Hakstol doesn't know how to utilise Simmer's talents.
If Simmer had better line mates who would feed pucks to him through the slot, rather than serving up blind passes that usually end up as turnovers, Simmer would be having a great season.
I don't want to see him traded, I'd rather lose the coach.....then bring in a coach who could bring out the best in him again.
Has anyone noticed how pissed off Simmer has looked when he scores this year?

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not sure who will center Simmonds next year. You'd think the top 2 lines will stay together, at least in the beginning of the year. Laughton? 1 of Vorobyov/Frost (if he makes it)

Tavares? lol

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Everyone can watch the same film, Simmonds is a 3rd line wing whose value is primarily scoring on the PP.

You're not getting a top 6 forward for him, you might get a late 1st and bottom six forward with some upside from the right team (a Cup contender that feels a PP upgrade could put them over the top.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
It is absolutely time to move on. I don't even care what the return is, if it's a late/conditional 1st or a B+ prospect or whatever.

It's just time to move in a different direction. He's a lost dog 5-on-5

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It is absolutely time to move on. I don't even care what the return is, if it's a late/conditional 1st or a B+ prospect or whatever.

It's just time to move in a different direction. He's a lost dog 5-on-5
Sounds like what everyone said about Brayden Schenn last summer. It's not like has 65 points and 47 at ES this year being used properly by another team, oh wait....

Reactions: baudib1

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Simmonds has been pretty bad this year so the bar isn’t that high for next year with him. So a bounce back year wouldn’t be in the least bit shocking.

However the guy is going to be 31 when his new contract kicks in & it’s probably not going to a be a team friendly contract. Age catches up to everybody eventually & the odds to get enough value out of that contract very likely won’t be in the Flyers favor. So it makes a lot of sense to just cut bait this summer.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As has been repeated ad nausem, Schenn wasn't going to be surrounded by the type of talent he has on his wings in St Louis.
Here he was a mediocre center or a RW at a position where they had too many players.
Meanwhile Frost looks like he'll be a better center than Schenn will ever be (one who raises the play of his wings, instead of being dependent upon them).

Simmonds should have a bounce back season, because the GM who trades for him should be able to give him a better center and a big role on their PP1.
And he's a solid winger, his +/- looks bad until you see his E +/- the last few years, but he's not a possession guy so he needs the right center to be effective.
I can see him putting up a couple more 50-60 point seasons in the right situation.

I can also see Hextall just letting him play out his contract if he doesn't get the right return, if Hextall wants Frost as this 3C next year, Simmonds would be the perfect RW b/c he'd discourage players from taking shots at Frost and with a playmaker center, Simmonds could bounce back in a big way.
That would buy a year for Allison to recover from his knee and play in the AHL.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Simmer = a 1st round pick plus not sure what else. He's as good as gone by draft day. I'd like a top 10 or top 7 pick. Anyone think Montreal would be interested? After all Bergevin is one dumb F***. Maybe package him with Neuvy. (Even he's not stupid enough to take Lehtera)

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Simmer = a 1st round pick plus not sure what else. He's as good as gone by draft day. I'd like a top 10 or top 7 pick. Anyone think Montreal would be interested? After all Bergevin is one dumb F***. Maybe package him with Neuvy. (Even he's not stupid enough to take Lehtera)

No one is giving up a top 10 for him. And certainly not Montreal.

Reactions: trostol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sounds like what everyone said about Brayden Schenn last summer. It's not like has 65 points and 47 at ES this year being used properly by another team, oh wait....
"being used properly by another team"

Oh, by "used properly" you mean being part of a trio of guys who started the season playing out of their minds, on a team that was on fire?

Lets take a look.

For the first 30 games his line was...
Schenn - 36 points (1.20 PPG)
Schwartz - 35 points (1.17 PPG)
Tarasenko - 31 points (1.03 PPG)

Then Schwartz gets hurt and misses 20 games, which both loses Schenn a great winger and kills the insane momentum that line (and team) had.

In the 48 games since then...
Schenn - 29 points (0.60 PPG)

Which, for the year so far, has dropped him down to...
Schenn - 65 points in 78 games (0.83 PPG)

Compared that two his last two years here...
2016-2017 Schenn - 55 points in 79 games (0.70 PPG)
2015-2016 Schenn - 59 points in 80 games (0.73 PPG)

... which makes it pretty obvious that his crazy unsustainable start (which I called about 1000 times as it went on, despite people freaking out) has skewed those numbers. The majority of the season he's been scoring at a rate lower than he did his last 2 years in Philly.

Reactions: Rebels57

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Tarasenko has been at roughly 0.6 PPG since that time too. We know he's not a 50 point player on merit either. He wasn't with Jori Lehtera centering him *shudder*. Blues went through a rough stretch that was beyond Schwartz......it happens. He's streaky but that team went ice cold.

There's always a middle ground. I think we can still praise Schenn and say both halves of his season weren't sustainable. He went from a 105 PDO to a 97 PDO in each time span (11% on-ice shooting% to 6%.......11% isn't even that unsustainable, Giroux is at that all season right now, and 8-10% for a star player is pretty repeatable, and Schenn's evened out to above 8%) while his possession stats saw little drop-off. Everyone knew Schenn wasn't a 100 point player. But it's not outlandish to think he could now be a steady 65-70 point player either. Only has 18 PP points and had 17 PP goals last year. Certainly room to improve there. And he really has transitioned to center too.

I'm not sure why we can't outright say Schenn took his game to another level, while acknowledging it was a level perhaps unreachable here.

Last edited:

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
"being used properly by another team"

Oh, by "used properly" you mean being part of a trio of guys who started the season playing out of their minds, on a team that was on fire?

Lets take a look.

For the first 30 games his line was...
Schenn - 36 points (1.20 PPG)
Schwartz - 35 points (1.17 PPG)
Tarasenko - 31 points (1.03 PPG)

Then Schwartz gets hurt and misses 20 games, which both loses Schenn a great winger and kills the insane momentum that line (and team) had.

In the 48 games since then...
Schenn - 29 points (0.60 PPG)

Which, for the year so far, has dropped him down to...
Schenn - 65 points in 78 games (0.83 PPG)

Compared that two his last two years here...
2016-2017 Schenn - 55 points in 79 games (0.70 PPG)
2015-2016 Schenn - 59 points in 80 games (0.73 PPG)

... which makes it pretty obvious that his crazy unsustainable start (which I called about 1000 times as it went on, despite people freaking out) has skewed those numbers. The majority of the season he's been scoring at a rate lower than he did his last 2 years in Philly.

Yeah but, uh..

he couldve maintained that 30 game pace here if we used him correctly. We always give up on players too early. Trade Simmonds for Schmaltz!

Reactions: Striiker

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tarasenko has been at roughly 0.6 PPG since that time too. We know he's not a 50 point player on merit either. He wasn't with Jori Lehtera centering him *shudder*. Blues went through a rough stretch that was beyond Schwartz......it happens. He's streaky but that team went ice cold.

There's always a middle ground. I think we can still praise Schenn and say both halves of his season weren't sustainable. He went from a 105 PDO to a 97 PDO in each time span (11% on-ice shooting% to 6%.......11% isn't even that unsustainable, Giroux is at that all season right now, and 8-10% for a star player is pretty repeatable, and Schenn's evened out to above 8%) while his possession stats saw little drop-off. Everyone knew Schenn wasn't a 100 point player. But it's not outlandish to think he could now be a steady 65-70 point player either. Only has 18 PP points and had 17 PP goals last year. Certainly room to improve there. And he really has transitioned to center too.

I'm not sure why we can't outright say Schenn took his game to another level, while acknowledging it was a level perhaps unreachable here.
I wasn’t minimizing Schenns play.

I was pointing out that his scoring isn’t a result of finally “being used properly”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad