Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
We really must trade Simmonds away on June.
And if you doubt about that then you should to see on new Hornqvist's contract. Bad contract. It's just bad idea re-sign Simmer.

And I want to say that there is great situation for us because so many teams have 2 picks in 1st round in this year draft. So we can trade Simmonds to one of these teams for 1st round in 2018 + prospect/young player.

Rangers (have) 3, Senators 2, Detroit 2, Chicago 2 (it sounds like as a best choice for me), Islanders 2.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
Rangers are rebuilding, the senators are dropping players left and right and won't pay a dime higher than 9¢.

FrustratedFlyer

Feb 4, 2018
Seeing what Thomas ****ing Tatar got in return, we probably should’ve pulled the trigger on a Simmer trade. Maybe health concerns came up for teams? I’d think we are going to re-sign him now

Love the guy but our youth, his contract, age and health issues mean the time is undoubtedly right. Pre-cap era it's a no brainer to keep him but the world has changed. I would very much doubt that Hexy didn't kick the tyres on him and other GMs must have enquired but I'm inclined to agree, and worry, about his relative health, if not age, beginning to tarnish his trade value

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
There was no reason to trade him at the deadline with the way the team is playing. Probably will happen in the off season and he will get a huge contract. Good for us for the return and good for him to cash in.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I see him as a guy who will finish his career here. Cupboard is stacked, we’ll have close to 20 mil in cap space this summer and more in 2019, signing him isn’t going to prevent us from keeping anyone. By the time anyone else is up for an extension 28/93 contracts will be up. We’ve become obsessed with cap space and bad contracts cause it’s all we know. Paying him what he’s worth (I tend to think he’d take a little less) is not going to hurt this team whether his play falls off or not.

Giroux
Voracek
Couturier
Konecny
Patrick
Lindblom
Ghost
Provy
Sanheim
Myers
Morin
Frost
Allison
Rubstov
Ratcliffe
Aube Kubel

Plus two more 1’s this year. I don’t understand the obsession with everyone wanting to get a haul for Simmonds. There is literally not a single organizational need. Everything at this point is a bonus. He should stay and see it through with 28 and 93. If we get a cup I’d want him here for it whether his play fell off or not.

Last edited:

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Well he will be here atleast through June, It will be interesting to see him at his best with the way Patrick and others have started to pick it up a little bit.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I don’t think he’s going anywhere. I see him as a guy who will finish his career here. Cupboard is stacked, we’ll have close to 20 mil in cap space this summer and more in 2019, signing him isn’t going to prevent us from keeping anyone. By the time anyone else is up for an extension 28/93 contracts will be up. We’ve become obsessed with cap space and bad contracts cause it’s all we know. Paying him what he’s worth (I tend to think he’d take a little less) is not going to hurt this team whether his play falls off or not.

Plus two more 1’s this year. I don’t understand the obsession with everyone wanting to get a haul for Simmonds. There is literally not a single organizational need. Everything at this point is a bonus. He should stay and see it through with 28 and 93. If we get a cup I’d want him here for it whether his play fell off or not.

The point in trading him is to avoid the shit storm the Flyers and many other teams have made and/or continue to make. Teams get themselves into trouble when they try to keep the band together longer than it should.

We all saw the Phillies do it by handing out albatross contracts like they were candy. The Hawks did it and are now teetering on becoming a dumpster fire. The Pens will be in trouble soon as well. Only difference between those teams and the Flyers situation, is they have trophies to show for it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I’d move on from him. I think we can replace him with other options here & coming in. I don’t really want to go long term with a 31 year old who’s really only on ice value comes on the PP. Not to minimize his role there but I think we’ll be fine so long as Giroux, Voracek, & Gostisbehere are still in the fold at the top.

The Flyers will probably re-sign him though.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It will likely be the most important player decision Hextall has had to make in his tenure so far.

The answer seems obvious if he’s committed to the prospect pool and the long-term. Any short term loss will be overstated, if there’s any at all. He’s a 3RW at best. And that’s now, with one year left, not entering year 3/6 in his new deal. His one undeniable strength is the PP, and it’s seeming like Patrick might be able to fill that to at least an acceptable degree, even if not fully (yet). So it goes. You want your star kids to be able to spread their legs usage-wise. He’s already at least showing he is very replaceable 5v5, not that he ever was more than above-average, and signing a 31 year old to long-term block scoring positions for prospects and kids already breaking out on the team is a no-go for me. And you should regain at least one blue chip asset in return.

What’s the difference between Simmonds and Schenn in trading one but not the other? Trading Schenn made sense with the plan, this makes even more sense due to contract and age. The only difference is “intangibles,” which Hextall fetishizes. Of course they have a strong room and will survive, but he might be too wary of losing his voice. And if that’s the primary reason for signing a 30+ guy long term, not on-ice worth, that makes ME wary.

Last edited:

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Just the wrong timing for him. If he were 2 years younger, I'd be singing a different tune.

I've also been a big advocate of him being traded for a while...not that I don't love him (because I do), but the yield is way better trading him than keeping him for a massive contract in declining years.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
If there is a time for a player to accept a hometown discount, it's now. After some tough years, the team is trending upwards and reinforcements are on their way to significantly improve the blueline as soon as next season.
Simmonds should go ask himself if he wants to be part of that or sign with a franchise as unpredictable as the Oilers.

Last edited:
Reactions: captainpaxil

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Josh Bailey has 62 points in 59 games in a contract year and took a 6 year x $5 mil contract. That's a discount. I would've expected that on the market people would be skeptical of the Tavares effect and him dropping off closer to last year's still solid totals (56 points). But it's possible he could've gotten another $5-6 mil or something on the duration of his deal.

People expect Simmonds to sign a 3 year x $6 mil contract or something. That is half of what he would get on the market. That's not a discount. He's already spent his entire prime on a discount. That's a fireable offense for his agent and a lack of self-respect and financial planning. A 5 year x $5.5-6 mil contract would be a discount. And that still looks pricey enough (though far from unfair) and doesn't void all the other arguments above about his spot on the team long-term and even short-term.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hornqvist signed 5x5.3 at 31 years old today. He’s pretty much been a 20-25 goal to 45-50 point guy for a while now. He’s on a 27 goal & 51 point 82 game pace for this year.

I’d have to imagine Simmonds gets more than that.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Don’t pay 31 year old Middle 6ers top dollar long-term UFA rates. He’s pushing 7 per if he wants it given appropriate term and he should.

Everyone loves him and for good reason. If ever there was a guy I hope cashes in to a ridiculous degree, it’s Simmonds. Bring him back into the fold after he retires.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Hornqvist signed 5x5.3 at 31 years old today. He’s pretty much been a 20-25 goal to 45-50 point guy for a while now. He’s on a 27 goal & 51 point 82 game pace for this year.

I’d have to imagine Simmonds gets more than that.

Ridiculous term and money for Hornquist but at the time his performance drops significantly in 2 or 3 years so will the Penguins, and he will still be moveable or it won't matter because they won't spend to the cap in a major retool/rebuild situation anyway. And then there is this new trend to retain salary via 3 way trades.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Ridiculous term and money for Hornquist but at the time his performance drops significantly in 2 or 3 years so will the Penguins, and he will still be moveable or it won't matter because they won't spend to the cap in a major retool/rebuild situation anyway. And then there is this new trend to retain salary via 3 way trades.

Well Simmonds should get a better deal than that & if he does of significantly fall off mid way through it the Flyers will be put much more in a bind given where the team should be & all the young players they will need to be getting paid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad