Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why dude? That wasn't nice. Talking about resigning Filp. It's too early to clean up vomit, and we're out of flu season to make pretend that's what caused it and to leave work early.

I'm thinking about it in strictly dollar terms and shipping off Simmonds if Frost is here next year. You move Filppula to the wing. The thought of Simmonds making a lot of money and being a 3rd line RWer makes me sick.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Filppula is done. He's slow and has no hands. Flyers would be dumb to re-sign him

Personally I don't think Simmonds offers that much more than Filppula. At even strength their production is about equal and Filppula at least provides some versatility in being able to play center if needed. While Simmonds might be quicker he typically makes a lot of bone headed plays. The only good thing about moving on from Filppula is that Hakstol can't play him over others anymore.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
It’s a shame they didn’t move him already, but they shouldn’t have an issue getting a 1st round pick+ from somebody. Use one of the picks to draft a defenseman and go fishing for an impact forward.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Hes 3 years away from a top 9 role in this organization.

tenor.gif

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I would look to teams like Calgary, Edmonton, St. Louis, Carolina and Chicago to move Simmonds.

I would need their first rounder back. Then add to that. Simmonds has 2-3 years of good production left in what probably will be a 6 year deal.

I think Edmonton would go crazy for him. Chia doesn’t really know what he is doing up there anyway.

Chicago would be a really interesting spot I think. Top 10 pick and a team that thinks they still can contend. Add in a A level prospect and you got a good deal.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
I would look to teams like Calgary, Edmonton, St. Louis, Carolina and Chicago to move Simmonds.

I would need their first rounder back. Then add to that. Simmonds has 2-3 years of good production left in what probably will be a 6 year deal.

I think Edmonton would go crazy for him. Chia doesn’t really know what he is doing up there anyway.

Chicago would be a really interesting spot I think. Top 10 pick and a team that thinks they still can contend. Add in a A level prospect and you got a good deal.

It's more important that he's moved now, than the king's ransom return that's received. Obviously he should be traded for more than peanuts, but as this season's played out, I want something for him, rather than letting him walk at year end for free. So much so, that I go 2nd rd pick + A prospect, or 1st + B prospect (caveat the 2nd rd pick is high third of round and not mid-low third.)

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
It's more important that he's moved now, than the king's ransom return that's received. Obviously he should be traded for more than peanuts, but as this season's played out, I want something for him, rather than letting him walk at year end for free. So much so, that I go 2nd rd pick + A prospect, or 1st + B prospect (caveat the 2nd rd pick is high third of round and not mid-low third.)

I believe his return would be the most important part.

If I’m Hextall and a team offers a 2nd rounder and A prospect I’m not pulling the trigger. It has to be an elite prospect if that’s the case.

I ideally would ask for

1st rounder
A prospect
2nd rounder next draft.

Go from there to see what teams are willing to move. I’m not moving him just to move him though.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Jesus Christ people. This is clear why we are fans. Players of Simmonds pedigree return much more. If Hextall trades Simmonds for just a 1st it would be laughable.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Jesus Christ people. This is clear why we are fans. Players of Simmonds pedigree return much more. If Hextall trades Simmonds for just a 1st it would be laughable.

I fully agree with you. I'm just so beaten down by the stupid coaching moves, and some of the poor GM'ing (lack of roster manipulation, poor pro evaluation, steadfastness behind bad coach), that I've moved into addition by subtraction. Simmonds is a replacement level player on this team now, we can fix it from within, I don't have faith in external additions (except draft picks), so I'm not sweating the details. The important part is to move him, and not be tempted to resign him.

I need some cocoa butter to soothe my burnt buttocks.

Edit: I did expect the prospect coming with a 2nd rd pick to be elite/near-elite, fwiw.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

For the most part GMs aren't stupid. I'm not sure how much teams will clamor for Wayne Simmonds with one year left on his deal while he is playing the worst hockey of his career. Sure, he could get more, but I can definitely tell you I would not be trading more than a 1st for him if I were another team.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
For the most part GMs aren't stupid. I'm not sure how much teams will clamor for Wayne Simmonds with one year left on his deal while he is playing the worst hockey of his career. Sure, he could get more, but I can definitely tell you I would not be trading more than a 1st for him if I were another team.
It’s been very well known he has been playing injured and still puts up 23 goals. He will be a very hot commodity. And dinosaurs love their old time net front presence. I love Simmonds but Nolan Patrick’s emergence the last 2 months has really made him a tradable asset.

The team that traded for him has a whole year to negotiate as well. The type of player simmer is gets a 1st ++

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
It’s been very well known he has been playing injured and still puts up 23 goals. He will be a very hot commodity. And dinosaurs love their old time net front presence. I love Simmonds but Nolan Patrick’s emergence the last 2 months has really made him a tradable asset.

The team that traded for him has a whole year to negotiate as well. The type of player simmer is gets a 1st ++

I think Simmonds is good and could definitely get a good return. But I do think us as Flyers fans overvalue the "intangibles" a bit. Makes sense though, as fans we should have rose colored glasses for one of our own

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I believe his return would be the most important part.

If I’m Hextall and a team offers a 2nd rounder and A prospect I’m not pulling the trigger. It has to be an elite prospect if that’s the case.

I ideally would ask for

1st rounder
A prospect
2nd rounder next draft.

Go from there to see what teams are willing to move. I’m not moving him just to move him though.

Your not getting anything remotely close to that in return for Simmonds.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Doubtful on that return. The team will likely get an “A” asset (1st rd pick or good prospect) and a “B” asset (2nd rd pick or lower or a 2nd tier prospect). Since top prospects are seldom traded anymore, I imagine a 1st and a 2nd/3rd rd pick. That’s pretty much what Hextall got for Schenn but since he took a horrible contract back the 2nd/3rd pick got elevated to a 1st. Schenn was 25 and had 4 years left on his deal. Expecting more for Simmonds at 30 and only 1 year is wishful thinking.

Reactions: Ruck Over

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
You talkin 5th oa or 31st oa? Big difference. Something around Edmonton's 1st (now 7th) would be nice.
Then with 7th, 15th and 17th you got tons of options.
I do not want to resign him for the record.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Him being ready and Hextall thinking hes ready are two very different things.

Provorov and Patrick didnt need to go back. We'll also have - assuming none of these bums get re-signed - less roster players available.

I wouldnt say its a guarantee by any stretch, but its not outlandish, either.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

If he gets a 1st ++, and none of those pluses are dumps, he'll be arrested for Grand Larceny.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
If you could sign Simmonds to a 3 year deal, he's be a solid bridge to the next generation of forwards, and they have the cap room. But when you get to 5-6 years, the contract will be an albatross just when this team is peaking.

A 3-year deal at ≤$5 million wouldn't be bad, IMHO. Before this season, Simmonds was among the team leaders in pretty much all aspects of the game. He has been putrid this season but we collectively were holding our breaths about Giroux – I know, it was the surgery – coming into 2017-18. And if Simmonds played this season like a typical Wayne Simmonds, he would be out of price range. That being said, his role projects to be 3RW with PP time, so not an unreasonable payday. This would be cards-on-the-table negotiations about how much Simmonds has meant to the Flyers but the guard is being changed so the offer is reflective of the transition.

If Hextall cleans out the flotsam and jetsam this off-season, I could live with Simmonds on the above deal. Plus, I am pretty certain that someone with as much pride in his game as Simmonds won't just sit around in the off-season.

Reactions: Ruck Over

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad