Speculation: Wayne Simmonds

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If you could sign Simmonds to a 3 year deal, he's be a solid bridge to the next generation of forwards, and they have the cap room. But when you get to 5-6 years, the contract will be an albatross just when this team is peaking.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
If you could sign Simmonds to a 3 year deal, he's be a solid bridge to the next generation of forwards, and they have the cap room. But when you get to 5-6 years, the contract will be an albatross just when this team is peaking.
Next generation had arrived. Open your eyes. Simmonds needs to be traded.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Next generation is two years away, we're still going to struggle to fill out our bottom six next year.

Reactions: hatcher

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

The guy's spot is only as a 3rd line RWer. He shouldn't be above Konecny (who you believe is a 4th liner) and Voracek. The only time you might sink that kind of money on a 3rd liner is at center.

Last edited:
Reactions: AdamParrot

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The next generation is already here, no matter how hard you and the coach kick and scream.

Ghost, Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny, Lindblom, and Patrick are better than most vets on this team.

We don't need a vet to "bridge the gap" to the next generation.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think I'd prefer they re-sign Filppula for another year or so than extend Simmonds. I'd imagine Simmonds is roughly a 30 point ES forward at this point and at a premium price tag (5 million + ) that's a lot to swallow for a guy who doesn't drive ES play.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006
Hextall doesnt have the balls to trade Simmonds. Trading him makes all the sense in the world but lets face it...keeping him is the Flyers way.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I think I'd prefer they re-sign Filppula for another year or so than extend Simmonds. I'd imagine Simmonds is roughly a 30 point ES forward at this point and at a premium price tag (5 million + ) that's a lot to swallow for a guy who doesn't drive ES play.

Id rather hit the UFA market. Flip's play this year has been awful. Theres always 3rd and 4th liners looking for jobs if we really dont want to have a bottom 6 of all rookies/young kids.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Trade Simmer for a Younger cost controlled 3C. We don't need Simmer anymore and don't need him blocking guys like NP on the PP.

Bottom 6 can be filled with cheap UFA s if we need and a premium needs to be put on speed first.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Trade Simmer for a Younger cost controlled 3C. We don't need Simmer anymore and don't need him blocking guys like NP on the PP.

Bottom 6 can be filled with cheap UFA s if we need and a premium needs to be put on speed first.
I want a jets team here Benny that smashes and had skill. Flyers are nothing even close to a team like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: BackWithaVengeance

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Signing cheap UFAs for the bottom 6 is how you end up with Dale Weise.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone knows why Patrick played in his spot? That very very unhakstol like move.

He was on PP1 while Simmonds was injured and he potted 3 goals in just a handful of games. Simmonds was then gifted his spot when he came back and the PP has gone cold since. Patrick should have been given that spot back 5-10 games ago

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016

No freaking way. I'm of the opinion that you should never trade for depth players. If you trade for a draft pick it gives you a chance to draft superstar. I'll take that over third line center every day of the week. Also isn't Laughton exactly that type of player?

Reactions: Tripod

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
He was on PP1 while Simmonds was injured and he potted 3 goals in just a handful of games. Simmonds was then gifted his spot when he came back and the PP has gone cold since. Patrick should have been given that spot back 5-10 games ago
I understand that's what the logic dictates, but we are talking about hakstok here?

Reactions: Rebels57

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Next generation is two years away, we're still going to struggle to fill out our bottom six next year.

TK, Lindbolm, Patrick - arrived next Flyers' generation of youthful talent

Laughton, Raffl, Weal(eh?) - current bottom six

Vorobyev, NAK, Frost(?), Vecchione(?), Laczynski(?), Allison(?) - guys in system who have a shot with AHL seasoning already, or are long shots after very successful m. junior/NCAA seasons

The future is now, two years away is cowardly dithering.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Anyone knows why Patrick played in his spot? That very very unhakstol like move.

No one has come out and said "Hakstol made a decision" or "Knoblauch wanted a change" or anything.

Im comfortable saying Hakstol (finally) made an adjustment and it reaped rewards until something else comes out to the contrary. It's just unfortunate that it took this long to make the adjustment.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Why dude? That wasn't nice. Talking about resigning Filp. It's too early to clean up vomit, and we're out of flu season to make pretend that's what caused it and to leave work early.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
No freaking way. I'm of the opinion that you should never trade for depth players. If you trade for a draft pick it gives you a chance to draft superstar. I'll take that over third line center every day of the week. Also isn't Laughton exactly that type of player?

Laughton lost his fight against Wilson when he returned to the line-up all those years back. A scarlet letter that he will never be able to shed in this organization. He may as well be fired into the sun, sad to say. If only Laughton fought more, and won. If only...

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No one has come out and said "Hakstol made a decision" or "Knoblauch wanted a change" or anything.

Im comfortable saying Hakstol (finally) made an adjustment and it reaped rewards until something else comes out to the contrary. It's just unfortunate that it took this long to make the adjustment.

Actually..

I just watched Patricks post-game interview. He said he only played on that unit because Simmer was hurt.

LAUGH OUT f***ING LOUD

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Actually..

I just watched Patricks post-game interview. He said he only played on that unit because Simmer was hurt.

LAUGH OUT ****ING LOUD

Does this mean that Simmonds is even starting to lose the intangibles folks love to clamor about? Mon dieu!

Edit: It stinks to throw dirt on the guy, but the HC is not putting Simmonds in a place to succeed, and that's directly related to the diminishing production. The HC should have sat/scratched Simmonds to let him heal, or whatever, instead of continually trotting him out there as a non-effective player to Simmonds own exemplified standards. The man is shook, this game, following the Bruins game, his head space is likely a little f***ed. This is when a coach scratches a player to watch from the Press Box just to decompress, mental health day and the sort.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Laughton lost his fight against Wilson when he returned to the line-up all those years back. A scarlet letter that he will never be able to shed in this organization. He may as well be fired into the sun, sad to say. If only Laughton fought more, and won. If only...

If only Laughton had the fighting prowess of one Brandon Manning. The unique skill to lull fans to sleep while engaging in a hockey fight, I mean wow. Could you imagine having two talents like him on one roster?

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I want a jets team here Benny that smashes and had skill. Flyers are nothing even close to a team like that.

Wpg is built all around youth and speed and aggressive on the puck, Simmer wouldn't even crack their line up as a top 9 winger.

Reactions: hatcher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad