Confirmed with Link: Wayne Simmonds traded to Nashville for Ryan Hartman + conditional 4th

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would rather have a 2nd to use in a trade this summer and rightfully promote Aube-Kubel to 4RW, than have Hartman and his penchant for ill-timed penalties.
I have no issue with anyone having that opinion. And as you know, I want us to add forcing Hartman down to the 4th line. But given how bad Simmonds was for us, I don't think the actual trade was bad.....more disappointing.

He does take bad penalties for sure. Chicago fans warned us of that. But at least we are talking about a 25-30ES scorer on our 4th line compared to 10-15.

Either way, Hartman is a likely stopgap to when the AHL kids are ready. Squeeze him in negotiations so he is more desirable in a trade when that day comes.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Can anyone point to any source that says a 2nd was actually offered to the Flyers?

Pretty sure its speculation. Quite apparent Simmonds had very little value.

He was injured, but Preds fans think he would of been healthy scratched anyways as he lost out to stars like Watson and Grimaldi.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’m not really sure what anyone sees out of Hartman. He was completely invisible after his first game and that one cool behind the back pass to JVR

Laughton is easily better and ideally he’s not he 4th line as well

Exactly. If he's going to play then he needs to bring the "local A-hole" attitude to every damn game. Not just his first.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The mystique of NAK. If he were drafted later than the 2nd rd. would fans still be acting like he had a God-given right to the Flyers’ regular lineup? The man has 0 points in 20 career AHL playoff games. He’s the definition of disposable & certainly hasn’t proven he deserves a regular role in the NHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’m not really sure what anyone sees out of Hartman. He was completely invisible after his first game and that one cool behind the back pass to JVR

Laughton is easily better and ideally he’s not he 4th line as well
Invisible....yet produced at a better rate than Raffl has the last 3 years....and at a 3rd liners rate. Can't he just be a 25-30 ES point depth player until someone proves better?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The mystique of NAK. If he were drafted later than the 2nd rd. would fans still be acting like he had a God-given right to the Flyers’ regular lineup? The man has 0 points in 20 career AHL playoff games. He’s the definition of disposable & certainly hasn’t proven he deserves a regular role in the NHL.

10 + 4 = 20?

Nicolas Aubé-Kubel at eliteprospects.com

His 17-18 playoffs were certainly disappointing after the way he produced at ES during the regular season, but in 16-17 he was only getting 4th line minutes from Gordon. But I don't know why you'd focus only on that specific small sample to the exclusion of his other 203 AHL games. Looking past the numbers, NAK has good skating, good strength and a really good shot, so it's no surprise that people think he could be a useful bottom 6 forward for the Flyers.

Sean Kuraly is a useful forward for the Bruins. His only AHL season was 26 points in 54 regular season games plus 1 point in 6 playoff games, and it came when he was already 23 years old.

Sean Kuraly at eliteprospects.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
10 + 4 = 20?

Nicolas Aubé-Kubel at eliteprospects.com

His 17-18 playoffs were certainly disappointing after the way he produced at ES during the regular season, but in 16-17 he was only getting 4th line minutes from Gordon. But I don't know why you'd focus only on that specific small sample to the exclusion of his other 203 AHL games. Looking past the numbers, NAK has good skating, good strength and a really good shot, so it's no surprise that people think he could be a useful bottom 6 forward for the Flyers.
0 points in 14 career AHL playoff games, yes. Not sure why I typed 20. I’ll blame it on an insane morning of frantic non-stop work coupled with staying up for the LV-SJ OT.

The typo doesn’t alter my point, though. If NAK so obviously deserves a regular spot in the NHL, you’d think he could at least put up a single point in 14 AHL playoff games, 10 of which were when he supposedly was a big part of the team & allegedly an NHL caliber player.

I don’t begrudge people for having the opinion that he has the physical tools to play in the NHL. I begrudge the attitude that NAK has unquestionably “earned” a full-time role in the NHL. I think that’s a dubious stance. The AHL is littered with NAKs. And if NAK hasn’t shown he can excel in the AHL playoffs, when the competition increases, how has he proven he can be an asset against the top competition in the world in the NHL?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
How did Kuraly prove it? It's not like he had huge AHL point totals or dominated in the AHL playoffs. And yet Boston found a spot for him on their roster, and are reaping the benefits now.

Oskar Lindblom got a chance in the NHL after putting up 34 points (19 ES, 14 PP, 1 SH) in 54 AHL games as a 21 year old. Hardly earth shattering production. But now a year and change later the Flyers know he's a NHL-level 4th liner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
How did Kuraly prove it? It's not like he had huge AHL point totals or dominated in the AHL playoffs. And yet Boston found a spot for him on their roster, and are reaping the benefits now.

Boston purged their bottom 6 of try-hard trash veterans and let the prospects they developed take those roles once Cassidy took over. I think they had as many as 6 rookies dressed at times last season. Heinen, DeBrusk, Kuraly, McAvoy, Grzelyck were all regulars and Bjork and Donato got a cup of coffee as well.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Who thinks NAK is better than Hartman?

That’s a straw man and trying to change the parameters of the debate.
If I like this comment, is it an indication of thinking NAK is better than Hartman or agreeing that a straw man argument is changing the parameters of the debate?

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Whatever feels most like a #heelturn.
tenor.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Oskar Lindblom got a chance in the NHL after putting up 34 points (19 ES, 14 PP, 1 SH) in 54 AHL games as a 21 year old. Hardly earth shattering production. But now a year and change later the Flyers know he's a NHL-level 4th liner.

Lindblom was the top forward in the SHL at 20, an arguably better league than the AHL.
In his case, it was just a matter of adjusting to the NA game, not his talent, that was in question.

NAK was beat out by Bailey this spring, both played on the Phantoms, but Bailey was the one they called up.
I can't imagine this happening if Gordon had lobbied for NAK, who he coached for a year and a half.

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
I'll reserve judgement on Hartman til I see what AV does with him. He spoke about carving out roles for players and having them understand what he expects of them.

A 4th line of Laughton, Hartman, and Raffl offers 2 speed options and a good grinder. I'm genuinely excited about that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad