Prospect Info: Way Too Early Devils-Centric Mock Draft For February

Status
Not open for further replies.

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Jan Mysak just transitioned to the OHL less than two months ago, in the middle of the season. A 17 year old Czech kid, he left his family, went to a nation where he did not know anybody to play with Hamilton Bulldogs teammates he was unfamiliar with and for a coach he did not know what to expect from or what was expected from him. He moved into a house with a family he had just met who spoke a language he is still learning. Then he stepped onto the ice to play in a rink sized differently than he had ever played in before, in a league with far more physicality than he was accustomed to.

In his first 14 games, Jan Mysak scored 12 goals.

But I guess you're right. He needs to start showing "some better stats".

Mysak was also the guy helping injured teammate off the ice today. High character player based off what I saw today from him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@^ Yeah, you're right, but I don't know you, or your rankings. I only compared the most popular rankings to see what they are talking about and I realized this draft is not that strong besides like 1 great player, few good once, and 1 high goalie prospect.

Another Czech player I like is Jaromir Pytlik which I use to watch when he was like 9 years old. Maybe we could trade down to pick him up. Even though I think our priority will be defense men.

Btw, I was with Arthur on the ice many times, so I have a very good benchmark for players from that age group, and sometimes that helps to rank them. Obviously not always correct.

here, this should help, my 2019 rankings, replete with very high regard for Mr. Kaliyev:

Prospect Info: - 2019 NHL Draft; STI Final Rankings

I agree with you on Pytlik. I'm still working on my annual rankings, but he's very likely to be in my first round.

I agree with everything you say here except "1 great player". Quinton Byfield has almost insane potential, and I'd go so far as to say that the top 7 is as strong as I've seen in years.

Reactions: Blackjack

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Mysak was also the guy helping injured teammate off the ice today. High character player based off what I saw today from him.

I've heard good things on the character level about Mysak. How quickly he's transitioned to the OHL certainly speaks volumes about his mental toughness. It's got to be extremely difficult for a 17 year old kid to leave everything he knows behind in the middle of a season. I have him top 10 overall right now. Maybe I'm alone in that regard, but if he keeps scoring like he has he might change a few minds.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
@StevenToddIves not a fan of cormier? He's another guy I like and would prob be my choice late in the 1st round (should the devils get a late 1st for vatanen).

He started off this season really hot but then got injured. Seems only real knock on him is size (which is always stupid).

For other guys who might not know about him, this is a good summary: 2020 NHL Draft Profile: Lukas Cormier

Last edited:
Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
@StevenToddIves not a fan of cormier? He's another guy I like and would prob be my choice late in the 1st round (should the devils get a late 1st for vatanen).

He started off this season really hot but then got injured. Seems only real knock on him is size (which is always stupid).

For other guys who might not know about him, this is a good summary: 2020 NHL Draft Profile: Lukas Cormier

Cormier is a liability defensively in my mind. He will put up points, but points will be put up against him. I'm fine with this type of player at forward, but not on defense. I feel in the best case scenario they are a push.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If we manage to snatch Sanderson with the PHX or VAN picks, I'll be as thrilled as anything.

Sanderson is a very safe bet to be an excellent second-pairing defenseman. He has no discernible flaws and is plus in several tools. I have him ranked as my #4 D in the class of 2020, but it's tough to argue with someone who ranks him as high as #2 after Drysdale. So good call on your part.

Reactions: Sgt Brylin

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I want no part of Drysdale. He is not exactly huge and lacks speed and has an average shot. Just another Ty Smith.
Drysdale stood out as one of the best players at WJC's.....noticeable whenever on the ice....he is a good prospect......understand your concern Devils need to get bigger and they added size in last draft and traded for it in Foote and Bahl......But Drysdale is up there with Hughes Makar and Fox.....more similar to Makar in that he is more physical.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
With Shero and Hynes gone now, do you see the Devils still valuing speed the way they have been doing the past 5 years?
Imo skating has to be a plus not a negative.... but I think valuing size and speed together is essential especially for the Devils they need size to be able to sustain offensive pressure in the zone....too often they are in and right back out of offensive zone....at same time you don't pass on drysdale unless the other player is the better prospect

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
So we have three first rounders at the moment, but where do we stand with amount picks from 2nd to 7th round?
New Jersey Devils - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Cap Friendly is a great source that updates ridiculously fast, they had the NYI’s pick up a nano second after the trade was confirmed. They list all conditions as well.

My favorite pick is 2022 5th from the CBJ for Kinkaid, I had forgotten about that.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
After the first round we're done till the 4th.
Yup, that’s why I’d actually prefer we use all 3 1sts if we don’t get more picks. With 4-5 1sts then it definitely make sense to start trading but walking away with less than three high end prospects is counter to the point of a rebuild. You have extra swings to make sure you get at least one hit.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Yup, that’s why I’d actually prefer we use all 3 1sts if we don’t get more picks. With 4-5 1sts then it definitely make sense to start trading but walking away with less than three high end prospects is counter to the point of a rebuild. You have extra swings to make sure you get at least one hit.
If we had a 2 or 3, I too might say lets see what one of those ones could bring in, but yeah considering how bare the cupboard is after first round for us, lets use them all unless someone blows us away.

But Fitz's might not be done, with Vats, Palms and Simmonds all on the block, we might be able to get back into the second.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
It depends. If the return includes a top prospect that's almost NHL ready, or if you're trading down a few spots because you don't like what's on the board (or think you can get away with waiting for the guy you really want) you do it, even if it pushes you down to the 2nd round in the latter case.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
If we had a 2 or 3, I too might say lets see what one of those ones could bring in, but yeah considering how bare the cupboard is after first round for us, lets use them all unless someone blows us away.

But Fitz's might not be done, with Vats, Palms and Simmonds all on the block, we might be able to get back into the second.
The nightmare scenario is that 2 of our 3 firsts have (albeit unlikely) conditions that could cause them to slide. Our own first and then nothing until R4 would set things back a bit. But again, that's extremely unlikely and I do expect more chips to flip for additional picks before the TDL anyway.

MachoDiablo

Mar 12, 2012
Jersey City
The nightmare scenario is that 2 of our 3 firsts have (albeit unlikely) conditions that could cause them to slide. Our own first and then nothing until R4 would set things back a bit. But again, that's extremely unlikely and I do expect more chips to flip for additional picks before the TDL anyway.
Oh yeah, a world in which Vancouver misses the playoffs and Arizona wins the lottery would be a hell of a timeline to be in...well, I mean, we're already in an absurd timeline, so anything's possible, but that's pushing it.

...right?

Reactions: GameSeven

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I think if Fitz were to trade the lesser of the two first-rounders, he's not going to move them until he knows their full worth, so I'm more thinking after the season and right before the draft.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
I think if Fitz were to trade the lesser of the two first-rounders, he's not going to move them until he knows their full worth, so I'm more thinking after the season and right before the draft.
Agreed. My point about the TDL was to coincide with yours, above, where we are likely to add one or more picks between R1 and R4 after flipping another player or two by then.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I sort of alluded to it in another thread, but both picks sliding would only happen if Vancouver and Arizona collapse the rest of the way, and then we'd have both of their picks unprotected next season. It would be annoying to have to wait another year, but there's a decent chance at least one of them would collapse San Jose style, and then we'd be sitting very pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad