Prospect Info: Way Too Early Devils-Centric Mock Draft For February

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Well, our Devils are up to three 1st round picks and counting. Who will they take? All my opinions are certain to change by June, but here's a very early and doomed-to-be-inaccurate idea of how things might shake out on draft day.

1 DET LW Alex Lafreniere, Rimouski QMJHL this kid is simply awesome at every facet of the game and ready to make an impact as a top 6 winger right away.
2 LAK C Quinton Byfield, Sudbury OHL the highest upside of any player in the draft, Byfield is a freakish athlete with Eichel/Lindros-type upside
3 OTT W Alex Holtz, Djurgardens SHL maybe considered a surprise by some, but Holtz’s pure goalscoring ability trails only Lafreniere and Byfield; closest NHL comparable might be Laine
4 DEVILS C Tim Stutzle, Mannheim DEL the Devils pass on positional need at D and grab the best available player in Stutzle, a dynamic skater and skill-player with a ferocious compete level who is just a season away from a top-6 role at either C or LW
5 ANH RD Jamie Drysdale, Erie OHL the hands-down best D in the draft, Drysdale combines incredible skates and skills with high-end intelligence and surprisingly solid defensive play for a slightly undersized rearguard known for offensive brilliance
6 OTT W Lucas Raymond, Frolunda SHL the Senators use the pick acquired from San Jose to get both of the Swedish “Terror Twins” — Raymond is fast as hell and combines incredible vision with grit and a complete game; not the pure scorer that Holtz is, but more advanced in most other respects
7 CHI C Marco Rossi, Ottawa OHL if there’s a Braydon Point in this draft, it’s Rossi — the young Austrian combines off-the-charts offensive skill with smarts, sandpaper and a complete 200-foot game
8 MIN C Anton Lundell, HIFK FIN a lot of questions have been asked regarding Lundell’s upside, but his maturity, complete 200-foot game and lack of any discernible weakness whatsoever makes him the perfect 2nd line NHL pivot and he’s close to NHL-ready
9 MTL LW Cole Perfetti, Saginaw OHL sure, he’s not particularly big or fast but he has hands made of magic and anticipates plays as well as anyone in the draft; one of those players where the complete package is light years better than the sum of the parts.
10 BUF RW Jack Quinn, Ottawa OHL the Sabres need scorers around Eichel and Quinn is soaring up the draft rankings due to a three-inch growth spurt this past year and an astounding to create scoring chances out of thin air and then score from absolutely anywhere with an extremely accurate shot
11 NYR RW Noel Gunler, Lulea SHL with elite skating and shooting Gunler can dominate a game, but with a mercurial propensity to disappear for long stretches he can equally frustrate; the Rangers lean on their Scandinavian scouts more than any team in the NHL
12 WPG LW Dylan Holloway, Wisconsin NCAA after Lafreniere, Holloway has as high a talent floor as anyone in this draft; maybe not a dynamic superstar upside, but he checks all the boxes as a can’t-miss top 6 NHL power forward and the Jets love kids like this
13 NSH G Yaroslav Askarov, SKA-St. Pete RUS JR. Nashville needs a goalie of the future and Askarov might be the most highly regarded draft-eligible netminder since Carey Price
14 FLA LD Jake Sanderson, US Development Team the USA development program has become the premier one in the world; this year Sanderson is the top prospect to come out of it. Former NHL-er Geoff’s son is simply without weakness and offers an extremely high floor as a do-it-all, two-way, 3/4 D
15 CAR LW Rodion Amirov, Ufa, KHL with a stocked prospect pipeline and two first rounders in 2020, the Canes can afford to wait on this extremely high-upside, two-way, potential scoring machine
16 DEVILS C/LW Jan Mysak, Hamilton OHL realizing that many Devils fans would want a D here, Mysak’s elite skating and dynamic offensive tool set makes him a potential high-scoring first line stud who will be a potential huge steal for any team grabbing him in the mid-first round
17 CGY RW Dawson Mercer, Drummondville QMJHL another high-floor, jack-of-all trades likely NHL second-liner, Mercer can also play center and give a complete and extremely competitive game while also lighting up the scoresheets
18 VEG C Connor Zary, Kamloops WHL sometimes knocked for a lack of high-end speed or athleticism, Zary is simply the perfect NHL 2C; he’s a kid who thinks the game at an extraordinarily high level, excels in all three zones and makes anyone lucky enough to play on a line with him significantly better
19 DEVILS RD Braden Schneider, Brandon WHL what’s not to like about a huge, physical D with terrific skates who is very good with the puck and absolutely dominant without the puck? The answer is absolutely nothing. This kid has 40+ point upside in addition to NHL shut-down potential, like a right-shooting Jake Muzzin but even more advanced at the same age
20 CAR C Mavrik Bourque, Shawinigan QMJHL the Canes need a 2C for the future and Bourque features plus-plus shooting and passing skills which give him big time offensive potential — were he a bit bigger or faster, he would be a top 10 candidate
21 EDM RW Jacob Perreault, Sarnia OHL the Oilers are on a perpetual search for finishing wingers to play with the ridiculous center trio of McDavid/Draisaitl/Nugent-Hopkins and ex-NHL-er Yanic’s son is a lights-out sniper
22 PHI C Hendrix Lapierre, Chicoutimi QMJHL a top 10 talent who will likely fall due to a history of concussion problems, but Philadelphia’s prospect depth is as strong as any team in the NHL; this affords them the ability to take a chance on Lapierre’s electrifying upside
23 CLB LD Kaiden Guhle, Prince Albert WHL this physical, two-way, smooth-skating stud boasts a monster of a shot; likely a 3/4 D who can serve as trigger man on an NHL first PP unit
24 NYI LW Jake Neighbours, Edmonton WHL a prototypical Lamoriello player, Neighbours combines second-line scoring upside with a nasty edge and responsible two-way game; this kid is freakishly strong and tough for his 5’11-195 frame and is the WHL king of the garbage goal
25 COL LW Antonio Stranges, London OHL one of the fastest skaters in the draft with tremendous puck handling ability, Stranges makes weaving through defenders look like a video game.
26 DAL LW Roni Hirvonen, Assat Pori FIN undersized center projects to LW, terrific offensive skill and produces offense wherever he plays; the Stars seek future scoring wingers making the young Finn a great fit
27 STL LD Shakir Mukhamadullin, Ufa KHL the most underrated D prospect in the class of 2020, the young Russian is big and physical and possesses a thunderous shot from the point; the Blues are gifted with F prospects but will need future help on the blueline
28 MIN LD Jeremie Poirier, Saint John QMJHL this extremely talented offensive D produces a ton of scoring, but needs to squelch a frustrating propensity for mistakes which lead to goals against
29 WSH LD Ryan O’Rourke, Sault Ste. Marie OHL the oldest school D in the draft, this is a kid who makes you pay for every inch of ice; very capable with the puck but will never be confused with a power play QB; very ahead of the curve in all defensive aspects
30 TB C Vasily Ponomarev, Shawinigan QMJHL the Lightning scouts find this type of kid for a living — under the radar with absolutely dynamic offensive potential, Ponomarev could be a gem in the late first or early second round
31 BOS RD Justin Barron, Halifax QMJHL another old school D and the kind of kid the Bruins love to draft; injuries have dropped him down draft boards but someone has to replace Chara someday, right?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
What's the thought process of drafting Holtz at 3 then Raymond at 6? Disregarding the possibility of it really ever happening, but I would think there's much greater chance of Raymond getting picked over Stutzle and Drysdale than Holtz?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Got to see Mysak in the OHL for the first time today. Much like his Hamilton team they played a solid opening 40 until the wheels fell off against Kitchener late in the 3rd. Thought he looked pretty good! Hums around out there pretty good and makes plays.

Never seen the d-man suggested... once these picks start to get locked into position, I’ll be looking up tons of potential guys.

Thanks for all the work you do on these

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
If that goalie falls in the middle round do the devils bite with their second pick?

Pronman just went on a European trip and said Askarov looked unimpressive. This is on the heels of less than impressive WJC. I'll be extremely upset if we use any of our 1st round picks on him. If we end up with some second round picks, I'd be okay with that.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
If LaFreniere is not available (meaning we don't get 1st overall) I would take Askarov. I am not big into russian prospects but this kid I will make an exception for. He has great potential. No player in the team is more important or has more of an impact than the goalie. I'm not sold on Blackwood as the guy who can steal games for us when it counts.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Isn't Dorian hesitant to draft Europeans? Would you say these are the picks Castron would possibly take? I'm pretty sure we would take Drysdale if we get the chance. We need top pair defensemen just too much to pass on.

Devil made me do it

Nov 28, 2009
California
What's the thought process of drafting Holtz at 3 then Raymond at 6? Disregarding the possibility of it really ever happening, but I would think there's much greater chance of Raymond getting picked over Stutzle and Drysdale than Holtz?

I want no part of Drysdale. He is not exactly huge and lacks speed and has an average shot. Just another Ty Smith.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
When they say the draft is deep it mostly means it's overrated. For example: Jan Mysak (Devils pick as of now) at 16 plays for Bulldogs with Arthur Kaliyev who went in second round last year. Mysak is 1/2 of Kaliyev, who I happen to know and watch play, and wished Devils drafted him (he will be a star in NHL). So by looking at the list of players and compare their performance to other draft years, I'm not so sure this draft is any special.

Smart drafting is tons better than strong draft year. Strong draft year means every teams drafts good players. The goal is to outdraft everybody else. Devils have to really get this draft right. I would not waste a first on Mysak unless he plays more this year and shows some better stats.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I think Holtz is getting undersold a bit -- he has a very complete game and can absolutely wire the puck. I've seen him described as Laine-lite. He's also a big kid and that factored into my reasoning -- Ottawa has only spent one first round pick on a player under 6 feet in the last decade. Raymond is a tough bugger, but Holtz is markedly bigger.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If that goalie falls in the middle round do the devils bite with their second pick?

Quite possibly, Askarov is ridiculously highly regarded in the scouting community. But with the progress Blackwood has made in the past two years, it would be tough to pass on a talent like Jan Mysak or Jack Quinn, were they available as well.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
If LaFreniere is not available (meaning we don't get 1st overall) I would take Askarov. I am not big into russian prospects but this kid I will make an exception for. He has great potential. No player in the team is more important or has more of an impact than the goalie. I'm not sold on Blackwood as the guy who can steal games for us when it counts.

Anyone who knows me (ask @OmNomNom) knows I am terrified of ranking goaltenders. My scouting acumen just is not strong enough in that regard that I can accomplish this with any confidence. But I will say that if the Devils passed on a potential franchise talent in Quinton Byfield at #2 overall for a goaltender (no matter how highly regarded) who will probably not come to North America for 3 to 5 seasons, I would jump out a 36th story window.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Isn't Dorian hesitant to draft Europeans? Would you say these are the picks Castron would possibly take? I'm pretty sure we would take Drysdale if we get the chance. We need top pair defensemen just too much to pass on.

Dorian likes Scandinavians but avoids central Europeans and Russians, that's my book on him. Holtz and Raymond would be right up their proverbial alley, though Raymond is a touch smaller than they usually like high draft picks in Ottawa.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I've often said that drafting for positional need is a dicey proposition. Look at Montreal in 2018 with the #3 overall pick -- Jesperi Kotkaniemi is a nice player to have, but if the Canadiens could do it all again instead of going for their most-liked center to fill an organizational hole, they would have been much, much better off taking Brady Tkachuk or Quinn Hughes.

The fact is that Tim Stutzle is just an astounding hockey player, and the general consensus (myself included) has him ranked over Drysdale. This is not a knock on Drysdale -- I love the kid -- but if I were picking third or later and Stutzle was still on the board, I would not be able to pass up on him.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I want no part of Drysdale. He is not exactly huge and lacks speed and has an average shot. Just another Ty Smith.

With all due respect, it's probably best to do some research before making a post like this. We're all hockey fans so I try to be cordial, but I feel the responsibility (to other readers on this thread so they are not misinformed) to say that this shows a lack of knowledge on both Drysdale and Smith.

Ty Smith is a very good LD whose major assets are smarts and efficiency, which is to say he has advanced positioning and shows an astounding calm and control with the puck. Though not a kid to blow you away with athleticism, he is a terrific skater. Though he is a bit undersized by NHL standards, he is no shrinking violet and shows a very high compete level. This, combined with his intelligence and discipline, gives him the opportunity to be a very good, though not shut down, defensive defenseman. His biggest attribute will be when he actually has the puck -- Smith is a tremendous outlet passer. He's also an ace at keeping the puck in the offensive zone and in finding seams through the defense to get his above-average shot on net. His potential to me is an all-situation, minute munching defenseman capable of 50 points at the NHL level. I don't think he will ever win a Norris, but he's a guy you will want on your team. A passable comparison for Smith would be Duncan Keith, although I don't think he will ever be as defensively smothering as prime-era Keith.

Jamie Drysdale is a RD with far more explosive offensive abilities. His hands are phenomenal which enables him to dangle at the blueline and back off defending forwards. Once he gets an inch -- he's gone. He has explosive acceleration and tremendous edge work -- the fact is he is just a tremendous skater. When Drysdale gets the puck with even a moment in his own zone, he is incredibly dangerous. If you back off him, his vision is extraordinary and he can stretch pass to a rushing forward with the best of them. If you rush him, he can make a quick move to maneuver around you and lead the rush himself with his plus-plus skating and puck handling. What makes him extra special is that, unlike most slightly undersized D (5'11-175), Drysdale is actually quite strong for his size and very good (again, we're not talking a shut down guy like prime Zdeno Chara, but he's good) defensively and does not shy away from the dirty areas or from larger forwards. As for his shot, it is great. Though he will never shoot it 100+ mph, it's hard and accurate; this is a kid who has scored multiple times from the point, even on clean looks by goaltenders. Drysdale is a guy who, if he hits his ceiling, can top 60 points and be a Norris-candidate caliber player. His closest comparable is Cale Makar, and you will see that comparison used much more in the future.

So, let's review. Smith = smart, efficient defenseman with terrific passing/vision and solid if not dominant defensively.
Drysdale = dynamic, quick and toolsy offensive force, rare explosiveness, who combines this with plus defense and intelligence.

These players have a few things in common, but they are not what any draft writer or scout would call similar players. And any scout would love to have either of them in their organization. Quite simply, you're selling them short without accurate reasoning to back it.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
It’s easy to say the “best player available” mantra but it’s hard not to be swayed by need. Need is why the Devils went with forwards in 2016 before the Hall trade.

I agree with going with BPA but honestly if the first thing I here about a forward drafted with our first is “he’s much more of a playmaker than goal scorer” I’m going to shoot myself in the head.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
When they say the draft is deep it mostly means it's overrated. For example: Jan Mysak (Devils pick as of now) at 16 plays for Bulldogs with Arthur Kaliyev who went in second round last year. Mysak is 1/2 of Kaliyev, who I happen to know and watch play, and wished Devils drafted him (he will be a star in NHL). So by looking at the list of players and compare their performance to other draft years, I'm not so sure this draft is any special.

Smart drafting is tons better than strong draft year. Strong draft year means every teams drafts good players. The goal is to outdraft everybody else. Devils have to really get this draft right. I would not waste a first on Mysak unless he plays more this year and shows some better stats.

Jan Mysak just transitioned to the OHL less than two months ago, in the middle of the season. A 17 year old Czech kid, he left his family, went to a nation where he did not know anybody to play with Hamilton Bulldogs teammates he was unfamiliar with and for a coach he did not know what to expect from or what was expected from him. He moved into a house with a family he had just met who spoke a language he is still learning. Then he stepped onto the ice to play in a rink sized differently than he had ever played in before, in a league with far more physicality than he was accustomed to.

In his first 14 games, Jan Mysak scored 12 goals.

But I guess you're right. He needs to start showing "some better stats".

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It’s easy to say the “best player available” mantra but it’s hard not to be swayed by need. Need is why the Devils went with forwards in 2016 before the Hall trade.

I agree with going with BPA but honestly if the first thing I here about a forward drafted with our first is “he’s much more of a playmaker than goal scorer” I’m going to shoot myself in the head.

The only players in this top 9 who can be described more as goal scorers than playmakers are Lafreniere and Holtz. I'd say Byfield is equally both. I do have the Devils drafting Jan Mysak with the Arizona pick, and Mysak is one hell of a goal scorer.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Jan Mysak just transitioned to the OHL less than two months ago, in the middle of the season. A 17 year old Czech kid, he left his family, went to a nation where he did not know anybody to play with Hamilton Bulldogs teammates he was unfamiliar with and for a coach he did not know what to expect from or what was expected from him. He moved into a house with a family he had just met who spoke a language he is still learning. Then he stepped onto the ice to play in a rink sized differently than he had ever played in before, in a league with far more physicality than he was accustomed to.

In his first 14 games, Jan Mysak scored 12 goals.

But I guess you're right. He needs to start showing "some better stats".

You're missing the point. Nothing against Jan Mysak, I like him (he is a bit underrated) actually but I question the draft. I only compared his play to Arthur and how they relate in the draft.

Last edited:

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You're missing the point. Nothing against Jan Mysak. I only compared his play to Arthur and how they relate in the draft. Capish?

Capish. But it's important for Devils fans like ourselves to realize that Kaliyev will not be available in this draft. In this mock draft which I made, which is extremely early and certain to be wildly inaccurate, I had the Devils taking Mysak because, quite frankly, I felt he was the best available scorer at #16 overall. I'm worried that come June he will not be available that late; I've seen a few writers shifting him up their rankings since he's absolutely torn up the OHL since coming over from the Czech Republic.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The only players in this top 9 who can be described more as goal scorers than playmakers are Lafreniere and Holtz. I'd say Byfield is equally both. I do have the Devils drafting Jan Mysak with the Arizona pick, and Mysak is one hell of a goal scorer.
That was more of joke based on me being frustrated with some of our current players rather than a criticism of this draft’s top forwards. It’s a bummer that Jack Quinn will likely be gone before our 2nd pick though.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
You're missing the point. Nothing against Jan Mysak, I like him actually but I question the draft. I only compared his play to Arthur and how they relate in the draft.

As for Kaliyev, if you check my draft rankings from last season, you'll notice that I had him ranked much higher (14th overall) than he actually went (second round), and higher than most rankings listed him. So, I agree with you that Kaliyev is a huge talent. The reason he fell is strictly due to personality concerns which I'm sure none of us wish to discuss, since he is just a kid and may just have some growing up to do.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment that Kaliyev can become a star, and I hope he does. But the Devils need to concentrate on finding some goalscorers in this draft, which explains why I've been writing so much on kids like Jan Mysak and Jack Quinn.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
@^ Yeah, you're right, but I don't know you, or your rankings. I only compared the most popular rankings to see what they are talking about and I realized this draft is not that strong besides like 1 great player, few good once, and 1 high goalie prospect.

Another Czech player I like is Jaromir Pytlik which I use to watch when he was like 9 years old. Maybe we could trade down to pick him up. Even though I think our priority will be defense men.

Btw, I was with Arthur on the ice many times, so I have a very good benchmark for players from that age group, and sometimes that helps to rank them. Obviously not always correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad