OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
NO!!!!! I know they've been around for over forty years but Neil is a legend and I'm still saddened to hear this. He will be greatly missed but his contributions to music never forgotten. I swear the guy could grow extra arms for some of the stuff he did.
one of my favorite things about Rush was they never stopped doing new music. They didn't just rest on laurels and do greatest hits. I loved their last album, as creative as anything they ever did. As an at times musician, I respect that. They played what they wanted their entire career.

rinaldo

Ignored Mmber
Apr 7, 2019
been listening t johhny thunders and the heartbreakers lately....very good stuff.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I have absolutely loved the part from 5:56 to 6:37 ever since the song came out. The song itself is great but that part is just amazing

f***ing yes. Bowie’s ability to create movements and builds in his epic songs is as good as anyone. Don’t think I can listen to any artist’s 6+ minute songs like Bowie.

I remember having this conversation over the summer about how that album is a miracle. It’s almost a universal law that artists just lose it eventually when it comes to new material. But on his deathbed, Bowie broke it (though Next Day is pretty good too). Besides “Lazarus,” the other single, I really dig “Dollar Days.” And the final song, “I Can’t Give it All Away,” is just astoundingly rich as the final song in a career and life. Again, this album is so peak quality and boundary pushing it feels like it shouldn’t exist.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
****ing yes. Bowie’s ability to create movements and builds in his epic songs is as good as anyone. Don’t think I can listen to any artist’s 6+ minute songs like Bowie.

I remember having this conversation over the summer about how that album is a miracle. It’s almost a universal law that artists just lose it eventually when it comes to new material. But on his deathbed, Bowie broke it (though Next Day is pretty good too). Besides “Lazarus,” the other single, I really dig “Dollar Days.” And the final song, “I Can’t Give it All Away,” is just astoundingly rich as the final song in a career and life. Again, this album is so peak quality and boundary pushing it feels like it shouldn’t exist.

tenor.gif

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
one of my favorite things about Rush was they never stopped doing new music. They didn't just rest on laurels and do greatest hits. I loved their last album, as creative as anything they ever did. As an at times musician, I respect that. They played what they wanted their entire career.
Some people are musicians, but the members of Rush were true artists. They always strived to learn, improve and evolve their work and that is why they have been beloved for decades.

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
Some people are musicians, but the members of Rush were true artists. They always strived to learn, improve and evolve their work and that is why they have been beloved for decades.
Well said. They are/were all fantastic musicians, whether you enjoy their music or not.

I'm a drummer, and I played along with their music pretty regularly (as best as I could) from the ages of around 15 to 35, then dropped off on it the last 10 years or so because it's so technical to play and if I'm blowing off steam after work, I don't want to do "more work". I know how to drum, but Neil's stuff was some of the only drumming I ever had to sit down and figure out stickings by rewinding parts over and over and working it out on the set. If you lead into a fill with the wrong hand, or come in/out a micro-beat out of whack and it would throw the whole effin' thing off the rails. There were also so many songs I never even attempted because I'd have made a fool of myself.

Tonight, as a tribute, I just finished jamming along with two hours of my old favorites. I did ok, but I hadn't played a lot of those songs in a decade, and I flubbed several fills. More reinforcement about the greatness of Peart, I guess, because I've been playing long enough that I usually don't get tripped-up by anything.

If you've ever seen RUSH live, they played note for note. No studio tricks. I personally love free-wheeling, ad lib, go with the flow music, but they were the exception. It was a joy to see all of them perform so flawlessly. RIP, Neil.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
****ing yes. Bowie’s ability to create movements and builds in his epic songs is as good as anyone. Don’t think I can listen to any artist’s 6+ minute songs like Bowie.

I totally slept on The Next Day aside from the singles when it was released. Finally gave the whole thing a listen over the summer and it's a low key terrific album.

Reactions: kudymen and Magua

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Today's news sucked.

As a fan of Rush who has seen them many a time, it stunned me even though I knew he was ill.

I loved going to their shows and just listening to the pure clean artistry. Not many times can 3 people playing music sound like more than 6. They achieved it every time. Neil's drum work was insane to see. Especially the one time I say front row. To be that close you couldn't but be in awe of the mastery of his craft.

RIP Professor

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Today's news sucked.

As a fan of Rush who has seen them many a time, it stunned me even though I knew he was ill.

I loved going to their shows and just listening to the pure clean artistry. Not many times can 3 people playing music sound like more than 6. They achieved it every time. Neil's drum work was insane to see. Especially the one time I say front row. To be that close you couldn't but be in awe of the mastery of his craft.

RIP Professor
They were my favorite band of all time. Their artistry and precision was off the charts and they were nearly flawless live. I was privileged to see them 11 times between 1980 and 2015.

Today, I will be listening my 10 favorite Rush albums.

A Farewell To Kings
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Presto
Counterparts
Snakes and Arrows
Clockwork Angels

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
They were my favorite band of all time. Their artistry and precision was off the charts and they were nearly flawless live. I was privileged to see them 11 times between 1980 and 2015.

Today, I will be listening my 10 favorite Rush albums.

A Farewell To Kings
Permanent Waves
Moving Pictures
Signals
Grace Under Pressure
Presto
Counterparts
Snakes and Arrows
Clockwork Angels
I definitely preferred their 80's stuff and on once they got more of the synthesizers involved to make much lusher soundscapes so I love albums like Presto and Hold Your Fire. I remember when I got a keyboard as a kid and one of the first things I tried to play was Subdivisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad