OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Always loved the Pixies and grew up listening to them a lot due to my Mum.

but damn, everytime I re-listen to stuff over the last few years I like it even more. Historically really only "loved" Doolittle as an album.

But as get older now see Bossanova as a masterpiece too. And like a lot more tracks off Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde.

Reactions: Amorgus and mja

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
I just stumbled upon this early Maiden gem (after I had watched an early gem of Chicago's "I'm a Man" from Beat Club).

I was a Maiden fanatic throughout my early teens. I like the early Paul DiAnno stuff even more now. More raw, and less operatic, than the Dickinson era.

Last edited:

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
Thanks to the 'knock knock" scene from the Flyers/Pens behind the glass or whatever, have been a fan of Mac Miller's. New album is out now, "circles" - worth a spin, kind of a slow jam but some catchy beats. It's actually a great album to start first thing in the morning and have over coffee/breakfast.

Too bad he's gone, that saying the album carries a morbid (and sobering) undertone, would have liked to hear more like this down the road. RIP dude

Also, if you're a music buff and you haven't seen the movie "almost famous" - must see. Watched it for the first time last night, awesome

Reactions: BigToe

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks to the 'knock knock" scene from the Flyers/Pens behind the glass or whatever, have been a fan of Mac Miller's. New album is out now, "circles" - worth a spin, kind of a slow jam but some catchy beats. It's actually a great album to start first thing in the morning and have over coffee/breakfast.

Too bad he's gone, that saying the album carries a morbid (and sobering) undertone, would have liked to hear more like this down the road. RIP dude

Also, if you're a music buff and you haven't seen the movie "almost famous" - must see. Watched it for the first time last night, awesome

You just saw Almost Famous for the first time last night?!

That movie turns 20 this year actually

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
You just saw Almost Famous for the first time last night?!

That movie turns 20 this year actually

Haha yeah, probably seen hundreds if not over a thousand movies, graduated in the mid 90's and listen to mainly rock, classic rock and alternative.. Not sure how I missed it all these years? Better late than never I suppose

Reactions: Rebels57

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Haha yeah, probably seen hundreds if not over a thousand movies, graduated in the mid 90's and listen to mainly rock, classic rock and alternative.. Not sure how I missed it all these years? Better late than never I suppose

It's one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years for sure.

Reactions: Bruckuss

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Always loved the Pixies and grew up listening to them a lot due to my Mum.

but damn, everytime I re-listen to stuff over the last few years I like it even more. Historically really only "loved" Doolittle as an album.

But as get older now see Bossanova as a masterpiece too. And like a lot more tracks off Surfer Rosa and Trompe Le Monde.

We've discussed Surfer Rosa before as I recall. It's up there (and above, imo) with Doolittle. The first 7-8 track sequence on that album rivals literally anything anywhere; it's a perfect miasma of rage, lust, and insanity.

As for Trompe Le Monde, it's still full of good stuff (if a lesser album than Surfer Rosa & Doolittle) but Alec Eiffel is just a f***ing awesome song.

BTW, don't you share a name with the protagonist?

In Glasgow this weekend... so figured would post something Scottish!

Lost opportunity to go with a proper Glaswegian band:

And I will shamelessly continue to post Teenage Fanclub songs in this thread at any opportunity.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
That's What I Get is my go to on this album, although Something I Can Never Have is the actual best song but makes me want to kill myself. One of my favorite albums of all time and required listening for Gen X.

Required listening, in general.

Something I Can Never Have is a brutal mood killer. Great if you want to mope. Not great if you'd like to continue being pleased.

Since I'm on a NIN bender:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

Maybe my favourite band ever. Probably one of the greatest lyricists ever. One of the better live bands I have had the privilege of watching.

And the mirror never lies, it's just these foolish eyes
And we all see what we want to see
What we need to see, what we have to see

Well we talk about saving the world now, Eddie
It's our vanity gone mad
She'll survive us all perfectly well
When we're all long buried and dead
Clever monkeys with technology
Barely out of the caves and the trees
It's all vanity, all vanity - we try to have control
It's all vanity, all vanity 'cause Chaos rules it all

Status