OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This song, seriously, is wonderful. It's the perfect style for Kiedis' vocals. His dynamics add even more emotion to already emotional lyrics. Flea on lead bass as usual, but John adds amazing depth with his mesmerizing volume swelling and soaring licks in the last half of the song.

One of my favorites from that album. Catchy but atmospheric — you nailed it. Frusciante is my favorite. He can melt your face and groove with the best, but he also understands restraint and emotion as well as any guitarist. To say nothing of his backing harmonies which make just about every song.

Stadium isn’t my favorite album at its best, but I don’t think there’s a below average song on it that I would skip. For a double album that’s impressive. Some other underrated ones: Slow Cheetah (dose feels), 21st Century (dat bass), She Looks to Me (dose chord voicings) Wet Sand (mor feels), Turn It Again (dat groove), Million Miles of Water (B Side).

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
probably my fave Zevon song

Letterman’s favorite & certainly a great choice.

Desperadoes Under the Eaves & French Inhaler are probably my personal favorites, but Roland is way up there.

“Roland searched the continent for the man who’d done him in. He found him in Mombasa, in a bar room drinking gin.”

French Inhaler is a devastating bitter song. Speaking of opening lyrics, “How’re you gonna make your way in the world, woman, when you weren’t cut out for workin’?”

Even his ex-wife called it the best f-off song of all-time & seemed proud that she was the subject.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Letterman’s favorite & certainly a great choice.

Desperadoes Under the Eaves & French Inhaler are probably my personal favorites, but Roland is way up there.

“Roland searched the continent for the man who’d done him in. He found him in Mombasa, in a bar room drinking gin.”

French Inhaler is a devastating bitter song. Speaking of opening lyrics, “How’re you gonna make your way in the world, woman, when you weren’t cut out for workin’?”

Even his ex-wife called it the best f-off song of all-time & seemed proud that she was the subject.
In Crystal’s book about him, which I think everyone should read, there are hearsay accounts like “he claimed to have the highest IQ ever recorded in Fresno” & that his living space had hundreds of books & he claimed to have read every single one, & Crystal said with him she didn’t doubt it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In Crystal’s book about him, which I think everyone should read, there are hearsay accounts like “he claimed to have the highest IQ ever recorded in Fresno” & that his living space had hundreds of books & he claimed to have read every single one, & Crystal said with him she didn’t doubt it.

I do believe his daughter attested to his wide ranging and ceaseless reading.

I don't believe many artists were writing albums inspired by the actions of a diplomat in a hard situation.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I do believe his daughter attested to his wide ranging and ceaseless reading.

I don't believe many artists were writing albums inspired by the actions of a diplomat in a hard situation.
Another face-punch opener:

Nuclear arms in the Middle East
Israel’s attacking the Iraquis
The Syrians are mad at the Lebanese
And Baghdad do what ever she please

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
One of my favorites from that album. Catchy but atmospheric — you nailed it. Frusciante is my favorite. He can melt your face and groove with the best, but he also understands restraint and emotion as well as any guitarist. To say nothing of his backing harmonies which make just about every song.

Stadium isn’t my favorite album at its best, but I don’t think there’s a below average song on it that I would skip. For a double album that’s impressive. Some other underrated ones: Slow Cheetah (dose feels), 21st Century (dat bass), She Looks to Me (dose chord voicings) Wet Sand (mor feels), Turn It Again (dat groove), Million Miles of Water (B Side).
Love Wet sand.

This is their premier lineup, no question. My favorite album is probably By the Way. Though SA is no slouch by any means as you said

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
James Brown random selections via YT. Started with some instrumental acid jazz funk, then wanted words so went to the God Father of Soul.

This collab* caught me by surprise and is awesome-

This song is special, and it shines light on more truths than it will ever get credit for-

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Also, @Magua gimme some Tear. Love those backing oohs

Yah bb. By the Way is probably my 2nd favorite album after Californication. Some dull people can't handle that the band decided to grow and explore different musical avenues and it's funk lite minus a couple songs, but the melodies and atmospheric work by Frusicante on that album are at a PEAK. It's a kick back and let it wash over you album. I read an interview where he said that album was the happiest he's ever been in production.

"Venice Queen" is one of my top 5 RHCP songs. What a build and closer. Shoutout to "Minor Thing" (that bridge-chorus is amazing), "Don't Forget Me," "This is the Place," "On Mercury." I mean I could list every song lol. If you're into B-sides, "Rivers of Avalon" is their best from that recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad