OT: Watcha Listenin' To? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Yep, they certainly are. I love me some Zevon too! Another one of my favorite bands, Deer Tick, are huge Zevon fans also and always seem to work a cover into their live shows. I sense a pattern here...

Love it.

I’ve noticed you get the Zevon references I sometimes sprinkle in my posts.

He was fantastic at opening lyrics (& lyrics in general). Lawyers Guns & Money is probably the best of a great opening lyric crop, but I’m fond of this one as a relative unknown:

Gambler ambled down a country lane
Looking for a game of chance
She was twenty-one or two
And she knew what she wanted
And she wanted that gamblin’ man

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Love it.

I’ve noticed you get the Zevon references I sometimes sprinkle in my posts.

He was fantastic at opening lyrics (& lyrics in general). Lawyers Guns & Money is probably the best of a great opening lyric crop, but I’m fond of this one as a relative unknown:

Gambler ambled down a country lane
Looking for a game of chance
She was twenty-one or two
And she knew what she wanted
And she wanted that gamblin’ man

First, yes, Mama Couldn't Be Persuaded is fantastic.

Second, yes, Zevon was great at jumping right into a song and setting the tone for the thing instantly. "Sitting on the sofa, sucking a bowl of crack" is about as direct as it gets for setting a scene, for instance.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Agh, how could I forget:

"I lay my head on the railroad track
And wait for the Double-E
The railroad don't run no more
Poor, poor, pitiful me."

Edit: "GRANDPA PISSED HIS PANTS AGAIN" is a song opener that makes me laugh every time

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
First, yes, Mama Couldn't Be Persuaded is fantastic.

Second, yes, Zevon was great at jumping right into a song and setting the tone for the thing instantly. "Sitting on the sofa, sucking a bowl of crack" is about as direct as it gets for setting a scene, for instance.

His gift of getting right to the point in a humorous manner is as good as it gets.

In Mama Couldn’t Be Persuaded, which I’m glad you appreciate, there’s no doubt in my mind that “she was 21-or two” in the opening stanza about his gambling father is a sly reference to blackjack as well as his mother.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Agh, how could I forget:

Poor, poor, pitiful me."

Edit: "GRANDPA PISSED HIS PANTS AGAIN" is a song opener that makes me laugh every time

Both top notch hit-you-over-the-head openers.

Another:

I saw her leave the lu’au with the one who parked the cars
And the fat one by the swimming pool, they were swaying arm-in-arm
I can hear their ukeleles playing down by the sea
She’s gone with the hula-hula boys, she don’t care about me

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
His gift of getting right to the point in a humorous manner is as good as it gets.

In Mama Couldn’t Be Persuaded, which I’m glad you appreciate, there’s no doubt in my mind that “she was 21-or two” in the opening stanza about his gambling father is a sly reference to blackjack as well as his mother.

I'd never caught the age as a reference to his mother being a big win or crushing loss before, but I think you're right. That's probably not accidental at all.

Another sly bit of songwriting, since Carmelita is posted, is "Well I'm sitting here, playing solitaire with my pearl-handled deck" as a Russian Roulette reference.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Agh, how could I forget:

Poor, poor, pitiful me."

Play it All Night Long is an all-time song opener for me. That whole first verse is amazing.

Grandpa pissed his pants again
He don't give a damn
Brother Billy has both guns drawn
He ain't been right since Vietnam

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I'd never caught the age as a reference to his mother being a big win or crushing loss before, but I think you're right. That's probably not accidental at all.

Another sly bit of songwriting, since Carmelita is posted, is "Well I'm sitting here, playing solitaire with my pearl-handled deck" as a Russian Roulette reference.
Carmelita is fantastic.

Aside from that sly opening reference to Russian Roulette, it’s made even better with the entire stanza: “The county won’t give me no more methadone & they cut off your welfare check.”

In the record version, he says “I pawned my Smith-Corona & I went to meet my man,” which is a personal touch since he was a writer, but in his demo it was “I pawned my Smith & Wesson.” Which a musician friend of mine sings when he plays it, & which I like because it’s a reference to the gun in the opening lyrics.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

I always liked Mama Couldn’t be Persuaded, but it took me a while before the incredibly clever blackjack reference to his mother’s young age & his father’s gambling habit in the first few lines of the song hit me. The man was operating on another plane.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Mr Bad Example is essentially a collection of "opening line" level lines.

Every line in that song is great.

I’ll throw out the opener to one of his later songs:

Some days I feel like my shadow's casting me
Some days the sun don't shine
Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring
When I think about my dirty life and times

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Eating Mexican food tonight put me in a mariachi mood. Mariachi El Bronx is the shit.

They started as a punk band called The Bronx (one of the best out there right now in my opinion), so it's wild to see them play legit mariachi music as well. Here's a taste of the punk side to show their range as musicians. Same singer for both bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad