OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Would be an uphill climb to convince me that social media has been good for society overall.

I like the information exchange (potential), but literally nothing else, and even that is poison pill after poison pill of misinformation.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I think the cancel culture is a direct result of the minority ruling the majority in many places, but certainly nationally, over a length of time that makes the majority searching for other ways to achieve their political goals. Its also a response to the extreme polarization and rhetoric coming from some news outlets.

The issue might be the perception that the minority rules the majority.

Really, cancel culture is a byproduct of Neo-Marxism in our universities that came out of the portentous navel-gazing of "Critical Theory".

All it can do is deconstruct and destroy. It views the world explicitly in terms of Oppressor-Oppressed, and anyone exhibiting even a hint of being the "Oppressor" is demonized, and then publically excoriated. We create a utopia by destroying our imperfections, i.e. systems if "oppression". It's all deeply narcissistic, and ignorant.

It used to be called Bolshevism or Maoism.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The issue might be the perception that the minority rules the majority.

Really, cancel culture is a byproduct of Neo-Marxism in our universities that came out of the portentous navel-gazing of "Critical Theory".

All it can do is deconstruct and destroy. It views the world explicitly in terms of Oppressor-Oppressed, and anyone exhibiting even a hint of being the "Oppressor" is demonized, and then publically excoriated. We create a utopia by destroying our imperfections, i.e. systems if "oppression". It's all deeply narcissistic, and ignorant.

It used to be called Bolshevism or Maoism.

Worker uprisings may overlap with other aspects of liberalism but left wing "cancel culture" is not the same as leftist economic activism. That's an oversimplification that ironically comes from people who see themselves as "oppressed" by these movements, even when it has no real effect on them personally.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Also, I think "Warriors" would be unimaginative and backward-looking. Perfect for Snyder.

Sounds like Warriors is out unless they tie US Military theme to it.

And moving away from Native American themes makes the most sense. Just separate from that once and for all. Unfortunately that means no more Hail to the (insert new name) at games anymore. Name going is fine but singing that song after a score was what being a Redskins fan was all about. It brought everyone in the stadium together as one. Very sad if it’s lost forever.

Reactions: Ovechkins Wodka

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sounds like Warriors is out unless they tie US Military theme to it.

And moving away from Native American themes makes the most sense. Just separate from that once and for all. Unfortunately that means no more Hail to the (insert new name) at games anymore. Name going is fine but singing that song after a score was what being a Redskins fan was all about. It brought everyone in the stadium together as one. Very sad if it’s lost forever.

They can still do RedTails and keep the R logo helmet, HTTR and Hail to the RedTails (the song) if they are that desperate to cling to the past.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I’m growing on Washington FC (football club). Keep everything else the same. Fans can call them Redskins if they want and sing HTTR

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Social media is an open sewer.

Agreed which is why I ditched facebook many years ago and only use twitter is basically a news RSS feed.

I think people forget that there was just as much crazy stuff on the internet pre social media but one had to intentionally seek out the site/forum where as social media creates its own virtual playground where one can't help but see the stupid stuff.

Reading more of the name change news I have sort of vacillated to thinking Snyder might try and ride it out but don't think that is going to happen to the current climate. We know when it comes to a new stadium RFK is a no go with a name change but don't think even VA governor could make this work with the existing name based on the state trends to team blue.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Agreed which is why I ditched facebook many years ago and only use twitter is basically a news RSS feed.

I think people forget that there was just as much crazy stuff on the internet pre social media but one had to intentionally seek out the site/forum where as social media creates its own virtual playground where one can't help but see the stupid stuff.

Reading more of the name change news I have sort of vacillated to thinking Snyder might try and ride it out but don't think that is going to happen to the current climate. We know when it comes to a new stadium RFK is a no go with a name change but don't think even VA governor could make this work with the existing name based on the state trends to team blue.

There were certainly "dark corners" of the internet before social media but SM amplified the signal and made it readily available...even marketable and mainstream.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
And just like that I suddenly start wondering about Snyder holding a knife to the throat of the entire organization and maybe tanking it.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

More info on the role the 3 Amigo minority owners play with Snyder. Including one of the Amigo’s initiated talks with Gibbs about coming back.

Sep 19, 2008
Favorites in the leaderboard

Warriors
Redhawks
Redtails
Red Wolves

IMO the best options

Redwolves
Redhawks
Redtails
Warriors

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Please no warriors. Any of the "red-something" options would be fine with me. Redwolves > Redtails > Redhawks is my preference. Actually pretty excited to see what they do -- don't f*** this up, Dan.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Please no warriors. Any of the "red-something" options would be fine with me. Redwolves > Redtails > Redhawks is my preference. Actually pretty excited to see what they do -- don't f*** this up, Dan.

I'm no the opposite side of the fence. Don't really like all the Red names. Seem contrived.

I've played on a team named Warriors before so maybe that's why I'm partial to it.

But if they're ditching all native american imagery I'm not sure they settle on Warriors. Could be completely military, which brings in RedTails but that just doesn't stir my blood like it should.

Some other military nickname with 2 syllables maybe.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'm no the opposite side of the fence. Don't really like all the Red names. Seem contrived.

I've played on a team named Warriors before so maybe that's why I'm partial to it.

But if they're ditching all native american imagery I'm not sure they settle on Warriors. Could be completely military, which brings in RedTails but that just doesn't stir my blood like it should.

Some other military nickname with 2 syllables maybe.
I'm of the opinion that everything about the Redskins brand is A+ except the name. The colors, the fight song, the uniforms, #HTTR, the logo (though I know it has to go away), and the only things that need to be changed are the name and the logo.

The Warriors is so blah. I want to sing "Hail to the Red...." after TDs when they score in the new stadium. I want to keep the R as part of the logo options. They don't need an overhaul... just a slight tweak.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Okay, okay. I was wrong. Warrior isn't the most disappointing, Red Wolves are.
I am not down with spending the rest of my life rooting for a team that's gonna get dunked on and made fun of with UwU and Furry memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad