OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Two Navy football players have a chance at being drafted this year: Malcolm Perry and Jackson Pittman. Would love to see the Skins pick up Perry who projects to be a slot WR at the NFL level. The former slotback turned option QB is electric in the open field and rewrote the record books at Navy his senior year.

Jackson Pittman was a 300-pound NT at Navy (huge for a Navy lineman) but word is that NFL teams are asking him to switch to C or OG. I'm sure it has happened, but I can't find records of any year where multiple players from the same service academy were drafted in the same year. Would be pretty neat to see.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If Sweat develops, and Young is as promised, with the solid guys we already have in the middle, this DL should be a havoc wreaker to opposing offenses for a good long while. The 2nd greatest play in Redskins history was caused by Dexter tipping a pass and Grant returning it for a TD. We haven't had a dominant DL like that in a loooong time.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
If Sweat develops, and Young is as promised, with the solid guys we already have in the middle, this DL should be a havoc wreaker to opposing offenses for a good long while. The 2nd greatest play in Redskins history was caused by Dexter tipping a pass and Grant returning it for a TD. We haven't had a dominant DL like that in a loooong time.

In a terrible Manusky scheme, Sweat had seven sacks, across from an ineffective Kerrigan.

In a JDR scheme, Kerrigan will be utilized, while Sweat and Young will wreak havoc.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Jackson Pittman was a 300-pound NT at Navy (huge for a Navy lineman) but word is that NFL teams are asking him to switch to C or OG. I'm sure it has happened, but I can't find records of any year where multiple players from the same service academy were drafted in the same year. Would be pretty neat to see.

JR Sweezy was drafted in the 7th round as a DL and moved to OL by the Seahawks. He has had a decent career but he is the exception.

In response to comments about my opinion that Sean Taylor isn’t a Skins great, longevity matters, IMO, in regards to being considered an all time great. Taylor had one year as a Skin that was considered great. So did Griffin and I don’t consider Griffin a Skins great.

Having said that, he sure seemed destined to be an all time great. He was truly a generational talent, freak of nature.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Two Navy football players have a chance at being drafted this year: Malcolm Perry and Jackson Pittman. Would love to see the Skins pick up Perry who projects to be a slot WR at the NFL level. The former slotback turned option QB is electric in the open field and rewrote the record books at Navy his senior year.

I’m pulling for a Perry pick late....would be awesome if he stuck.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Soooooo many here never got to see us with a dominant D line. It was so fun when Charles and Dexter lined up together. Bookend monsters. Dave Butz, also another beast. Completely changes the game for your side.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario

That's also going to be an incredibly expensive line to keep together in the future. There are probably going to be a number of them that are going to be allowed to walk as a free agents. There's no way you can keep Sweat, Payne, Ioannidis, Allen, Settle, Brantley and Young without blowing the cap. They better enjoy that defensive line now because it won't be lasting very long.

Reactions: Bananas

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I have found direct wire taps of Trent's agent working the phones to get a deal done. This is the insider information we are looking for.

Wow! Forgot about those bang toons from extremeskins back in the day. “Last call” and the one with boonell and Gibbs had me in tears laughing.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
That's also going to be an incredibly expensive line to keep together in the future. There are probably going to be a number of them that are going to be allowed to walk as a free agents. There's no way you can keep Sweat, Payne, Ioannidis, Allen, Settle, Brantley and Young without blowing the cap. They better enjoy that defensive line now because it won't be lasting very long.
They don't necessarily have to walk in free agency. San Francisco traded DeForest Buckner, their 7th overall pick from the 2016 draft, this offseason to the Colts for their 14th pick since they couldn't afford to keep him after his rookie deal was up. And even if they do walk away in free agency, the Skins are likely to get comp picks if those guys sign big FA contracts. This is why having elite talent is so important -- they help you on the field while they're a part of the organization and they can help the organization as they leave as well.

Reactions: Bananas

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Earlier on the NFL Network someone said it would likely be for a 3rd or 4th. He added that they turned down a 2nd at the trade deadline (thanks, Bruce!)

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Soooooo many here never got to see us with a dominant D line. It was so fun when Charles and Dexter lined up together. Bookend monsters. Dave Butz, also another beast. Completely changes the game for your side.

The 82-87 DL was insane for us. After that the last time we had a DL worth shit was 1991/92 when it was Charles Mann and 4 other guys no one ever heard of. Tim Johnson, Eric Williams, Fred Stokes and Jumpy Geathers were utterly dominant that year, but I don't think any of them make anyone's list of 500 greatest Redskins or anything. But man, that DL could stuff the run and get after the QB. Jumpy Geathers was like 6'7'' and no one in the NFL could block him one on one.

I especially remember when the Skins had four 1st round picks on the DL in the late 90s and they still sucked.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->