OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Of course not.

I don't think they're going back to DC anytime soon. The community doesn't want them back, and a new name isn't going to change that. If you talk to the people in the area near RFK they want new parks and soccer fields for the community. If you ride the Blue line past RFK when the train comes out of underground and you get a view of RFK and the parking lot, they've already converted most of the parking lot to soccer fields and basketball courts. Plus the land there is federal (FBI office?) so who knows what is going to happen. Just changing a name isn't going to guarantee going back to RFK.

Yes and no. The plot of land around RFK is called Reservation 13 and plans for its redevelopment started all the way back in the early 2000's. The original plan called for (and still calls for) residential housing, parks, and fields. Some of those projects have been completed but a lot of them, including newer plans for a food market hall (similar to the one at Union Market), more bridges across the river, and a larger sports and recreation complex, are on hold and will be on hold until there is a long-term decision on use of the land, and the long-term decision on use of the land has been undecided while they wait to see what's going to happen with the Redskins and their new stadium.

So yes, while some members of the community argue that there's no need for a stadium when so many people are being priced out of DC and the priority needs to be mixed-use housing -- which are fair points -- I think it's pretty clear that the local and federal decision-makers are and have been waiting to see what will happen with the Redskins because bringing them back to the District will be the most profitable, which is almost always the deciding factor.

I suspect they'll announce at some point after the name change that a new stadium will built to be the center of a revitalized neighborhood, and they'll compare it to Nats Park (and Audi Field) and the area around it that has since been revitalized by new apartment buildings, restaurants, and parks. They'll commit a certain percentage of the new housing buildings towards housing lower-income families to try and appease the local community and will make other announcements around building parks and bridges and making other infrastructure investments to sell it as more than just building a new stadium. Of course I could be wrong but there's a reason most of the development of that land and neighborhood has been stalled for close to two decades and it's probably because they're waiting for the biggest domino to fall.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
If they can pull off getting rid of Bruce Allen AND Dan Snyder, they can rename themselves the "Washington D0ucheCvnts" and I will be a proud fan again.

If Snyder leaves with the team's real name I would gladly root for Wash's football team. As it stands now NFL will no longer be my biggest sports passion, after all this Caps will be my go to team and hockey will be my biggest sport. Screw Snyder he was the worst owner in The Redskins entire history! Its only fitting that he killed the name. :(

Reactions: Eirikrautha

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also, this is a reason why I think the District will eventually build a new stadium at RFK. The 2026 World Cup likely won't choose DC as one of it's host cities solely because FedEx is a shithole, so it's not just football-related revenue that they'll be missing out on. The capital of the United States, one of few regions to offer all four major sports along with the MLS, WNBA, and NWSL, should have a football stadium that isn't an embarrassment and a liability.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Also, this is a reason why I think the District will eventually build a new stadium at RFK. The 2026 World Cup likely won't choose DC as one of it's host cities solely because FedEx is a shithole, so it's not just football-related revenue that they'll be missing out on. The capital of the United States, one of few regions to offer all four major sports along with the MLS, WNBA, and NWSL, should have a football stadium that isn't an embarrassment and a liability.

I heard Thom Lovero say there is little interest from the DC council for a new stadium because unlike the Nats, a new football stadium would be used for 10 football games a season, some concerts and maybe soccer. Not 81 games a year and concerts like Nats stadium, so DC is not interested in investing in a new stadium.

Now if Snyder, or a new owner, built the stadium himself that would be different because it’s federal land. But Snyder wants someone to build it for him and if he sticks to that it won’t be at the RFK site.

I still think Snyder could work out a sweet deal at the RFK site but he would have to contribute to the majority of the cost.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Normally changing the name of a football franchise valued at more than $3 billion would take years, with focus groups and market research to back up the decision. In this case, Washington is slated for a preseason game in Nashville on August 15th and to host their regular season opener on September 13th at FedEx Field.
RELATED: SANTANA MOSS SAYS IT'S A PERFECT TIME TO CHANGE NAMES
The preseason opener is a little more than a month away, and the team hasn't even provided a timeline on a name change. In fact, though it's widely expected to come, the team hasn't even publicly said they're going to change the name at all.

It's hard to fathom the team could roll out even just new uniforms by August 15th, let alone erase every Redskins logo on their official stationery, moving supplies, marketing materials, and so on by September 13th.

Brandt believes it could make sense for the team to just go by Washington this season and allow appropriate time to pick a new name for the 2021 season.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I heard Thom Lovero say there is little interest from the DC council for a new stadium because unlike the Nats, a new football stadium would be used for 10 football games a season, some concerts and maybe soccer. Not 81 games a year and concerts like Nats stadium, so DC is not interested in investing in a new stadium.

Now if Snyder, or a new owner, built the stadium himself that would be different because it’s federal land. But Snyder wants someone to build it for him and if he sticks to that it won’t be at the RFK site.

I still think Snyder could work out a sweet deal at the RFK site but he would have to contribute to the majority of the cost.

DC wants a stadium but they want it on their terms, and not at any cost, so they are going to play hard-to-get. They also need to communicate a certain message in order to get the local community onboard.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
DC wants a stadium but they want it on their terms, and not at any cost, so they are going to play hard-to-get. They also need to communicate a certain message in order to get the local community onboard.

Well if the team is worth $3.4Billion, Snyder can hardly cry poor when negotiating with the city, he has to pay for the stadium himself, just like JKC did. And no one on the planet will believe Snyder if he tries to bluff the "build me a stadium or I'll move the team" nonsense. No one.

So, Dan, pay up. You have no choice at all. Just like with the team name. Your hands are tied here.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I believe in an article maybe last year about potential sites in VA that it was acknowledge that Snyder would pay for the stadium. But maybe I'm wrong I'll see if i can track that down.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Not as if civil unrest and shifting norms have never resulted in cultural change before.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Happy with a name change, but f*** cancel culture and the weaklings pushing it.

As with most human creations the extremes will go overboard. Imho in the big picture still more positive that negative gains. James Gunn getting fire from Disney was one but that at least was fixed. One thing would be to take more time to really think through things but social media is still too much media outrage mode.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
As with most human creations the extremes will go overboard. Imho in the big picture still more positive that negative gains. James Gunn getting fire from Disney was one but that at least was fixed. One thing would be to take more time to really think through things but social media is still too much media outrage mode.

Social media is an open sewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad