OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Most know my feelings above Kaep’s football ability (I liked it a lot back..... when), so I’d have no issue seeing the Skins sign him to be the Vet back up if Smith is ruled out for the year.

Skins could use some good PR, it’s actually a “very Dan” thing to do, and it could be good for the team. Plus Kaep may want to make as many connections in DC as possible, and take advantage of his spotlight moment now.

interesting to see what happens

not sure the team name and his message mix well....

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It rules that Colin Kaepernick was screwed out of potentially tens of millions of dollars and an NFL career because he dared to voice a “controversial” opinion that was of course obviously correct all along.

On the plus side history will remember him as a civil rights icon and not just a football player.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn’t the whole issue largely about how he chose to protest, not what he was protesting?

I’m sure he’ll get the opportunity to backup for a cut rate deal now if he wants it, although part of me wonders if his martyrdom isn’t better served by him never playing gain.

I have no beef with the guy, he paid the price for his beliefs like many before him. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in the NFL again even if I don’t think he’s all that good.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ostensibly the issue was how he chose to protest, but let’s be honest most people just didn’t like the fact that a black man wasn’t falling in line.

If it were like Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff or some other white QB who kneeled the issue wouldn’t have blown up.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ostensibly the issue was how he chose to protest, but let’s be honest most people just didn’t like the fact that a black man wasn’t falling in line.

If it were like Kirk Cousins or Jared Goff or some other white QB who kneeled the issue wouldn’t have blown up.

I think the fact that he wore socks depicting cops as pigs to training camp (or practice, can't remember which) turned a lot of people off and they didn't care about the message after that. I know he was going for shock value (and he succeeded) and I know he clarified that they were only intended to be insulting towards "rogue cops" but a bunch of people had their mind made up after that and they didn't care what the facts were or what his intentions were/message was.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I’m sure some small segment of the population had that issue...not the majority or even a big number IMO.

It would have blown up for anyone IMO. If Kirk Cousins took a knee during the anthem then wore socks with pigs in police uniforms to practice for the media to see.....guaranteed it blows up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think the fact that he wore socks depicting cops as pigs to training camp (or practice, can't remember which) turned a lot of people off and they didn't care about the message after that. I know he was going for shock value (and he succeeded) and I know he clarified that they were only intended to be insulting towards "rogue cops" but a bunch of people had their mind made up after that and they didn't care what the facts were or what his intentions were/message was.

hadn’t even seen your response when I wrote mine, but yes....this sadly.

Reactions: Corby78

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Wasn’t the whole issue largely about how he chose to protest, not what he was protesting?

I’m sure he’ll get the opportunity to backup for a cut rate deal now if he wants it, although part of me wonders if his martyrdom isn’t better served by him never playing gain.

I have no beef with the guy, he paid the price for his beliefs like many before him. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in the NFL again even if I don’t think he’s all that good.

Yes it exactly was. But just like Drew just got destroyed, your not allowed to question anyone's methods or you too are part of the problem.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany

While I'm sure there were some who fell into the category, but most didn't like the "kapernick package.:" what he said, the socks he wore, etc.. It wasn't just the kneeling.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Wearing a T-shirt with Castro and Malcolm X shaking hands during a press conference about kneeling was also an issue for me along with the pig cop socks.

Reactions: Corby78

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

Or like Tim Tebow?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
This is an interesting thread breaking down both Hask. To long to post all in here though.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Haskins has to be pretty stoked overall, and it appears initially as if he's responding as hoped. I mean, unless he had his eyes closed for 4 years, he had to know he was drafted by a team whose coach was on the way out, and he probably sensed early on that he didn't have the support of the HC. Now he has a coach who will be here for a while, who supports him and hasn't in any way tried to undermine him, who has a track record of accountability and winning. DH went from the frying pan to the cat seat.

Will be nice to see what he does with some proper support, but I still would not pass any final judgement over this season. New OC new scheme but no physical offseason to meld, and half his OL is in complete flux. Fix the OL next summer, he'll have a full year in the same system, so I think 2021 is when we will see DH take off. Steady improvement this year, but next year he should put it all together.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Haskins has to be pretty stoked overall, and it appears initially as if he's responding as hoped. I mean, unless he had his eyes closed for 4 years, he had to know he was drafted by a team whose coach was on the way out, and he probably sensed early on that he didn't have the support of the HC. Now he has a coach who will be here for a while, who supports him and hasn't in any way tried to undermine him, who has a track record of accountability and winning. DH went from the frying pan to the cat seat.

Will be nice to see what he does with some proper support, but I still would not pass any final judgement over this season. New OC new scheme but no physical offseason to meld, and half his OL is in complete flux. Fix the OL next summer, he'll have a full year in the same system, so I think 2021 is when we will see DH take off. Steady improvement this year, but next year he should put it all together.

While I agree overall with this, I think we do need to judge his improvement this year. I also think we have a better staff to judge where Haskins is and can be moving forward. I never really trusted Gruden's evaluations. If the new staff doesn't like where Haskins is, we shouldn't be scared to pull the trigger on another possible starting QB after next season. We need to get "our guy" and get him soon. He can't be the last piece to a rebuild.

Reactions: Bananas

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
While I agree overall with this, I think we do need to judge his improvement this year. I also think we have a better staff to judge where Haskins is and can be moving forward. I never really trusted Gruden's evaluations. If the new staff doesn't like where Haskins is, we shouldn't be scared to pull the trigger on another possible starting QB after next season. We need to get "our guy" and get him soon. He can't be the last piece to a rebuild.

Agreed, he should be heavily evaluated this year. But if he shows any growth, he should not be given a final grade yet, he deserves at least one full regular year with his staff behind him, and a real offseason, before a final grade is given. I don't think it makes sense to make a final stay or punt call on him after one stunted season with no OTA, reps, and probably a limited training camp.

Agreed with this statement though, I trust THIS staff to evaluate him properly and fairly... I did not trust Gruden to evaluate a moldy ham sandwich.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad