OT: Washington Redskins 2020 Season Thread 9: Happy Chase Young Day Draft Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
They didn’t have a comedian or an old newspaper guy, so there have been way worse for my tastes....

Some guys have been just bad like Miller and TK and Witten but they're all fighting a legacy that goes back 30-40 years. The networks keep looking to recreate the magic of an era that will never return by way of a broadcasting formula, but the game and marketing landscape have all changed.

I don't think people watch for the broadcasters anymore. They're more likely to NOT watch because of annoying broadcasters.

The NFL as a product has to be better for casual fans and those without betting/rooting interests to tune in. No magic voice is going to solve that unless someone becomes the next Madden or Cosell.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Anywhere from 5-8 wins sounds right to me. I think they'll be competitive and play with more discipline and I think the defense will keep them in most games but the offense has too many question marks for them to really be competitive. Hopefully Charles and Martin can step up and lock down the left side of the line but LT and LG are huge question marks right now and Moses has been declining at RT for the past couple of years. They have zero established options at TE and while their WR corps looks like it could turn into something fun they'll all very young and mostly unproven.

They've definitely added speed and athleticism on offense and Chase Young will hopefully make that front seven dominant. I am hopeful that Haskins tasks a step forward and I think he'll prove to be someone they can win with but we'll see, and the weird offseason isn't going to do him any favors since he needs reps and he's learning a new offense.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m surprised Peyton Manning hasn’t been in the booth as a color analyst before. He seems to have the charisma and he certainly has the football knowledge to be good at the job. Maybe he’s just not interested in doing it.

Might be heresy in these parts but I really think Tony Romo is the best color guy in the NFL right now. He has some pretty good insights and he has a quirky style that just works for me. I also thought Jon Gruden was pretty good at color commentary.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’m surprised Peyton Manning hasn’t been in the booth as a color analyst before. He seems to have the charisma and he certainly has the football knowledge to be good at the job. Maybe he’s just not interested in doing it.

Might be heresy in these parts but I really think Tony Romo is the best color guy in the NFL right now. He has some pretty good insights and he has a quirky style that just works for me. I also thought Jon Gruden was pretty good at color commentary.

Love Romo. Can't stand Gruden. His approach was totally formulaic and consisted of just a progression of obvious statements capped off by hyperbolic praise for whoever made the play.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Can't stand Gruden. His approach was totally formulaic and consisted of just a progression of obvious statements capped off by hyperbolic praise for whoever made the play.

That's fair. It was probably just the fact that he really seemed to enjoy his job as a color commentator more than other ex-players/coaches who just seemed to be going through the motions.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Agreed that Romo is great in the booth, but I think he just re-signed up with CBS for like a billion dollars or something, so he won't be on MNF any time soon.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I was not impressed with him as a wide receiver. He played tailback mostly late in the year. I know he ran below a 4.4 40-time at the combine (4.39), but I didn’t ever think that speed showed up on tape. For us, we were talking about him in the back-half of the fourth. For me, it was very rich in the third round for what we viewed as a franchise. He’ll be a tailback. That’s going to be obviously where his future is. And if he’s a second or third tailback, change-of-pace guy that can return kicks for you, he’s going to have some value there. He’ll be a coverage player on special teams unit, but I don’t ever see him being a No. 1 tailback and maybe a player with no position. Hopefully, Derrius (Guice) can be healthy because (Gibson) would be a good complement to him, but the third round was pretty rich for me.

Might be truth or it might be a scout that’s pissed his team missed out on drafting Gibson. Hopefully we can find out this season.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Might be truth or it might be a scout that’s pissed his team missed out on drafting Gibson. Hopefully we can find out this season.

Hopefully we can find out in 3 seasons. Grading rookies is usually rough going, but rookies who likely won't have any OTAs with the team, ugh.

Also, news flash, one NFL scout and another NFL scout disagree about a prospect by 1.5 rounds, and this is news worthy in a coronavirus world. In normal times there would be something more interesting to report about. (not directed at you Hog, but at the slowness of sports news in general right now)

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hopefully we can find out in 3 seasons. Grading rookies is usually rough going, but rookies who likely won't have any OTAs with the team, ugh.

Also, news flash, one NFL scout and another NFL scout disagree about a prospect by 1.5 rounds, and this is news worthy in a coronavirus world. In normal times there would be something more interesting to report about. (not directed at you Hog, but at the slowness of sports news in general right now)

No offense taken. It’s really slow.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Meyer: Haskins needs 'great players,' 'elite culture'

I hate to be so simplistic on this, but you better surround him with some really good players," Meyer said. "The NFL is amazing to me is that the minute a team, they draft a quarterback, they put him on a very bad team or there are a lot of culture issues. Which I, I don't want to start throwing stones, but I do know. I talk to my guys. I talk to a lot of these players. So it's the quarterback's fault now that their coach got fired after what, [Week 5]. They were in complete disarray and it's the quarterback's fault now. I wish college was that easy. For some reason it's not the quarterback's fault, it's the coach's fault. To me it's about culture and leadership. You want Dwayne to be a great player? Surround him with some really great players. Surround him with a really elite culture.

Why does the New England Patriots, there's teams in the NFL that have far greater players -- they have to cause they draft every year ahead of them," Meyer said. "So, on paper, there's teams that have been drafting ahead of the New England Patriots for 15 years. Yet they can't beat them. What, so they're bad players? No, there's something else there. It's called an elite culture, elite leadership; they don't have that. There's something wrong with the organization. You want Dwayne to be great? Put a lot of greatness around him. That's the one common denominator of all great quarterbacks, they have great players around them.

Feels spot on to me.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

The away jerseys aren’t white. They are off white called “bone”. What a disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad