OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 7: The Offseason/Bruce Allen Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
We need to take Young. Let the Fins trade to #3 or #4 if they want Tua that badly and are worried another team will move up for him. Will take a lot less than it would to get to #2.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
BTW, I do think that - depending on his workouts, ofc - that Tua could be sitting there at #5 for the Fins, unless there's another team or two so in love w/ him that they want to jump the Fins to grab him.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
BTW, I do think that - depending on his workouts, ofc - that Tua could be sitting there at #5 for the Fins, unless there's another team or two so in love w/ him that they want to jump the Fins to grab him.

Workouts? I was under the impression that he would miss 2020 all together and his "workouts" won't actually start until well after the draft? Am I just making shit up again like I often do?

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Workouts? I was under the impression that he would miss 2020 all together and his "workouts" won't actually start until well after the draft? Am I just making **** up again like I often do?

From the below article and others I’ve read he will miss the combine but throw for teams in April. Also, 6 month recovery. Surgery took place this time in November so May for full recovery with no set backs. Then when he is fully recovered he has to get back in football shape.

Sounds like a redshirt rookie year in NFL with starting year on PUP list best case scenario.

2020 NFL Draft: Tua Tagovailoa Plans to Work Out for Teams in April

Rivers news puts LAC in the Tua running with other teams like MIA. And LAC will be really desperate for a face of the franchise type player like Tua. Trade out of 2 is a legit scenario.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Isn't LAC ownership notoriously cheap, even trying to refuse to pay the rookie minimum for high first round picks?

LAC head coach used to be an assistant with the Bills when Tyrod Taylor was the starter. Guess who's the backup in LAC right now?

My guess is they roll with TT.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
There are a few QB starved teams that could make moves — including LAC, Denver, Tampa, Carolina, and even perhaps Las Vegas.

It all depends on Tua and to a lesser degree Herbert. If both of them impress enough, it will mean teams need it move up to ensure them.

but I agree w @AlexBrovechkin8 ... I don’t really want to risk losing Young so 3 slot seems the lowest we can go.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

"I think we all believe Joe Burrow goes No. 1 to the Bengals," King said. "Now, it isn't just Tua [Tagovailoa] who is there at No. 2. It's also some people that are going to say, ‘I love this Justin Herbert.' Imagine, you got Tua, Herbert, and Chase Young sitting there at No. 2. Just imagine how much leverage you might have."

"I think Washington is in an incredibly good situation," King said. "Either they get a generational pass rusher, or they end up getting three ones out of it."

It is Peter King but still. ;)

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Lions are totally in the catbirds seat. Skins will take Young @2.

Yeah, I've long thought the Lions will be the team that trades out. The Redskins I think would be ok losing Young to Detroit but I can't see them risking him going to the Giants. The Lions will either take Okudah or get a few ones to get out, or maybe they stay put... no one in the top four outside of Cinci is taking a QB.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm more and more in the "trade for a king's ransom if offered" camp. NFL football is 11 guys on the field. Hard to find any case of a defensive player changing a franchise from worst to first. That's even hard for a QB.

Skins have too many holes, too many needs, to draft a shiny star d-lineman again.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Young, but if there's not a HUGE gap between him and the #3 OA then is it really a generational type talent?

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I'm more and more in the "trade for a king's ransom if offered" camp. NFL football is 11 guys on the field. Hard to find any case of a defensive player changing a franchise from worst to first. That's even hard for a QB.

Skins have too many holes, too many needs, to draft a shiny star d-lineman again.

Maybe I just don't know enough about Young, but if there's not a HUGE gap between him and the #3 OA then is it really a generational type talent?

There's a massive gap between Young and the rest of this draft class. And you really don't know of an example of a defensive player taking a team from worst to first? You do know the 49ers too Bosa #2 and are now in the SB right?

Reactions: Roman Fell

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There's a massive gap between Young and the rest of this draft class. And you really don't know of an example of a defensive player taking a team from worst to first? You do know the 49ers too Bosa #2 and are now in the SB right?

You think Bosa is the reason for that, and he's the only star player on that team??

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I guess I’m in the just take Young camp because until shown otherwise I still think this is a messed up poorly run franchise and trading down for more picks just gives them more and better chances to get it wrong.

Keep it simple stupid and just take the guy pretty much everyone is grading out as the best player in the draft and get on with things.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
You think Bosa is the reason for that, and he's the only star player on that team??

Aside from Sherman, Bosa is without a doubt their best defender. Adding him not only added his talent but it opened things up for the rest of their DL with him needing more attention.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I guess I’m in the just take Young camp because until shown otherwise I still think this is a messed up poorly run franchise and trading down for more picks just gives them more and better chances to get it wrong.

Keep it simple stupid and just take the guy pretty much everyone is grading out as the best player in the draft and get on with things.

They seem to have good collegiate talent evaluators in the building. That said passing on an elite talent like Young, which the Redskins haven't had since Sean Taylor, for a crap shoot of later first round and second round guys is pretty dumb. Not to mention the fact you could be handing Young to the Giants.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

I've been in the trade down camp since the Skins secured the #2 pick. So many holes to fill, primarily on offense, and with all the 1st round draft capital already invested in the D-line it just makes sense to me to trade down and secure a nice collection of picks Rivera can use to truly mold the team in his image. Having said that, I won't be disappointed if they stay at #2 and take Young. It appears to be a win/win situation for the Skins.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I've been in the trade down camp since the Skins secured the #2 pick. So many holes to fill, primarily on offense, and with all the 1st round draft capital already invested in the D-line already it just makes sense to me to trade down and secure a nice collection of picks Rivera can use to truly mold the team in his image. Having said that, I won't be disappointed if they stay at #2 and take Young. It appears to be a win/win situation for the Skins.

I bet you SF is glad they didnt trade out of 2 for a haul of above average talent lol

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Young would be the 1st overall pick in most drafts, but Burrough rates higher than any QB since Andrew Luck (2012). The fact that he will go 2 OA is a value not found often.

I'd also take this opportunity to point out that you don't "fill holes" with the draft, you find good players at value. With the exception of the top 10 selections, the notion that you draft a guy and he "fills a hole" is a long running misconception. Most draft picks don't even pan out at all. Some do. Very few do right away. Finally when you start drafting for "need", you re-arrange your drafts lists to put players who fill "holes" ahead of players who are simply better, because those players who are better are in positions where you are strong already. When you draft for need, by definition you "reach" for the guy who fills the hole over the better player. So in the end, teams that draft for "need" tend to take far inferior players more often because of positional fit, vs because of pure NFL talent potential, and they end up with balanced rosters of mediocre players. The great drafting teams ignore "need" outside of the top 10 picks and draft BPA almost exclusively. They end up with more better players than the "draft for need" teams do over the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad