OT: Washington Redskins 2019 Season Thread Vol 5: The Nightman Cometh

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Did MG's original tackle merit having his helmet ripped at and his balls kicked in?
Let's look at the circumstances surrounding the hit itself.

There's 8 seconds left in the football game with Cleveland winning by 2 TDs. Garrett comes in to make a sack as Rudolph lets the ball go. As Garrett comes in so does MLB Joe Schobert. Schobert has the awareness to recognize the situation and not put hands on Rudolph and turn up field to try and make a play if he has to. Garrett, who now has a reputation following him for hitting QBs late and with questionable force, and overall just being a giant douchebag on the field decides to make a questionable sack with 8 seconds left in the game. Garrett has every right to tackle/sack Rudolph on this play, however, why would he decide to completely wrap him up and twist him down wrestling style with 8 seconds to go in a game that Cleveland already clinched the win?

At this point Rudolph is definitely frustrated for having an abysmal game and getting pressured/hit/sacked all night long. He has a 50ish lbs. heavier man twisting him down and laying on top of him. Almost anyone in this situation that has played competitive sports is going to immediately get pissed off and try to fight their way out of being pinned to the ground. I don't blame Rudolph at all for pushing and kicking to get Garrett off of him. It's human nature to have fight or flight kick in.

Last edited:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Video link busted.

It's not common. It's been banned since 1982:

NFL Rule Changes That Altered the Game Forever

This is the last time I can think of something close to this happening, 6 years ago, and it was a huge deal. Smith got 2 preseason and 8 regular season games for it.

NFL Player Rips Opponent's Helmet Off And Appears To Try And Hit Him With It

Remember Suh doing this, 7 years ago?

NFL's 'dirtiest player' kicks quarterback in the groin | Daily Mail Online

This kind of **** gets you a bad reputation. Will that follow Rudolph?

I still can't find many/any examples of QBs ripping guys helmets off and kicking them in the balls after a sack. I'm not the only one who's noticed this pass Rudolph is getting:

Mason Rudolph Lit the Match, Started the Fire, Fanned the Flames, Not Suspended

Replay Video Shows Mason Rudolph Planting His Foot In Myles Garrett's Groin During The Brawl

If there are about 650 NFL games a year from preseason to SB, and ~160 plays per game, that's over 104,000 plays per season. I wouldn't say something that happens once every 6 or 7 years (~620K to 730K plays) is common.

NFL won’t allow the video to be played on websites.

Anyway, the video shows Stafford trying to rip off an opponents helmet after that opponent aggressively blocked Stafford during an INT return. So it happens but I don’t get why you are focused on QBs doing this. Even kickers have done it. And doing it doesn’t justify what Garrett did. Ever.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
NFL won’t allow the video to be played on websites.

Anyway, the video shows Stafford trying to rip off an opponents helmet after that opponent aggressively blocked Stafford during an INT return. So it happens but I don’t get why you are focused on QBs doing this. Even kickers have done it. And doing it doesn’t justify what Garrett did. Ever.

NEVER JUSTIFIED WHAT GARRETT DID.

Can we get past that part and address Rudolph's actual role??

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Let's look at the circumstances surrounding the hit itself.

There's 8 seconds left in the football game with Cleveland winning by 2 TDs. Garrett comes in to make a sack as Rudolph lets the ball go. As Garrett comes in so does MLB Joe Schobert. Schobert has the awareness to recognize the situation and not put hands on Rudolph and turn up field to try and make a play if he has to. Garrett, who now has a reputation following him for hitting QBs late and with questionable force, and overall just being a giant *****ebag on the field decides to make a questionable sack with 8 seconds left in the game. Garrett has every right to tackle/sack Rudolph on this play, however, why would he decide to completely wrap him up and twist him down wrestling style with 8 seconds to go in a game that Cleveland already clinched the win?

At this point Rudolph is definitely frustrated for having an abysmal game and getting pressured/hit/sacked all night long. He has a 50ish lbs. heavier man twisting him down and laying on top of him. Almost anyone in this situation that has played competitive sports is going to immediately get pissed off and try to fight their way out of being pinned to the ground. I don't blame Rudolph at all for pushing and kicking to get Garrett off of him. It's human nature to have fight or flight kick in.

So you're saying it's OK for QBs to rip off helmets and kick in balls because they don't like being tackled? Was it an illegal tackle?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
So you're saying it's OK for QBs to rip off helmets and kick in balls because they don't like being tackled? Was it an illegal tackle?
One, Rudolph did not rip off his helmet. Two, he didn’t “kick in balls” like you say. He clearly was thrashing around trying to get Garrett off and hit him in the inside of his groin. I would definitely say that tackle wasn’t legal since Garrett had to physically twist and throw him to the ground and then laid on top of him which is also not allowed anymore in the NFL. Garret could have easily tackled Rudolph to the ground and got off of him and walked away but he didn’t. I don’t understand what is so hard about this?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

I think bottom line, Rudolph instigated this all with his reaction to a foul. He deserves a game off too IMO.

Without Rudolph losing his shit this doesn’t escalate. Without the foul this never happens either of course but we have to look at Rudolph’s role too after the foul.

Plenty of wrong to go around on this one.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
One, Rudolph did not rip off his helmet. Two, he didn’t “kick in balls” like you say. He clearly was thrashing around trying to get Garrett off and hit him in the inside of his groin. I would definitely say that tackle wasn’t legal since Garrett had to physically twist and throw him to the ground and then laid on top of him which is also not allowed anymore in the NFL. Garret could have easily tackled Rudolph to the ground and got off of him and walked away but he didn’t. I don’t understand what is so hard about this?

I think you guys are talking past each other at this point.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

Why? He did nothing that hasn’t been done before and he did nothing that justified getting cold cocked with his own helmet. Garrett is the sole topic of discussion.

Was it McSorley that tomahawked Brashear way back when? Was there talk Brashear fanned the flames? I don’t recall that there was.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Except he clearly did SOMETHING to provoke MG and we all see it. And it's not common by any empirical measure.

So yeah. Same thing.

Yeah Rudolph just did what he did for no reason. He deserved to get hit in the head with his own helmet.

Am I doing right?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah Rudolph just did what he did for no reason. He deserved to get hit in the head with his own helmet.

Am I doing right?

Keep putting words in my mouth that are the opposite of what I've said repeatedly. It really validates your point and your intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad