OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 3: Half-full (6-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder, or Pierre Garcon below average but yes, he hasn't had a Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson. He also had Chris Thompson out of the backfield.

And Brandon Scherff is a 2-time Pro Bowler. Morgan Moses graded out higher last year than Tyron Smith who is considered to be one of the best tackles in the game, so I don't share your sentiment that the line is unremarkable. Two All-Pros + one very good RT is a solid line.

Cousins also did fine after Jackson and Garcon left all at once, while missing Reed for the traditional amount of time. He's a good QB.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Really there are a few facets to the whole Redskins/Cousins discussion.

1. Cousins IS a good QB. No one should be arguing that. He is.
2. Redskins HAVE to be better at keeping their own drafted/home grown talent.
3. Cousins always wanted to be ahead of the earnings curve. He’s always wanted more than his actual play/standing in the league.
4. Ergo, Cousins overvalues himself
5. Cousins is a “me first” player
6. “Me First” players hardly ever win big in the NFL, and we are seeing that with Cousins.

So....lots here. I’m happy they let him go, but at the same time, wouldn’t have been upset had they made it work at a salary number that made sense, a few years back. BUT.....I don’t think they would have ever won big with him.

That last piece is just MO, and we will see how he fares in MN. If they somehow miss the playoffs?? OUCH

Reactions: Holtbyisms

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Dime store psychoanalysis for $100 Alex.

Cousins forced his way out by asking for top $.

Simple. Brilliant plan to escape a shit owner/GM.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Cousins forced his way out by asking for top $.

Simple. Brilliant plan to escape a **** owner/GM.

He didn’t just ask.....he received. 28m a year?

Which is currently #1 in the NFL. Until ARodge’s new deal kicks in. That’s a huge pill for the Vikes to deal with, especially if they aren’t NFC Champs at minimum. If they miss the Loffs altogether?

They play the Eagles this week. So 1-3-1 is extremely possible.

Edit — psycho analysis? From me or from you? If me....he’s got a long list of “me first” moments. His latest is the trade right skirmish with HIS OWN NEW TEAM (Vike That?). Dude is a total poser.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
/eyeroll

The market bares what it bares.....

He demanded what he demanded here because he wanted out, not because he was hoping they would pay him. He got what the market dictated from the Vikings. It’s the way the system works. Do you feel all athletes at the top of their respective pay scales are “me first” players too?

Last edited:

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
Really there are a few facets to the whole Redskins/Cousins discussion.

1. Cousins IS a good QB. No one should be arguing that. He is.
2. Redskins HAVE to be better at keeping their own drafted/home grown talent.
3. Cousins always wanted to be ahead of the earnings curve. He’s always wanted more than his actual play/standing in the league.
4. Ergo, Cousins overvalues himself
5. Cousins is a “me first” player
6. “Me First” players hardly ever win big in the NFL, and we are seeing that with Cousins.

So....lots here. I’m happy they let him go, but at the same time, wouldn’t have been upset had they made it work at a salary number that made sense, a few years back. BUT.....I don’t think they would have ever won big with him.

That last piece is just MO, and we will see how he fares in MN. If they somehow miss the playoffs?? OUCH

I'm not sure how he is just a "me first" player when he took less money to go to Minnesota than he would have earned in New York. I'm happy the drama is over but the "overvaluing himself" was always more about the Redskins (aka Bruce) undervaluing him from the time he was drafted and basically putting him in a position where it made way more sense to go after franchise tags than entertain the insulting offers they were throwing his way and then trying spin it in the media as he was being selfish.

TLDR: Cousins is like anybody else and wants to be paid what he is worth. The Redskins wanted to be cheap and were lucky the dominoes fell in a way that allowed them to get Alex Smith or else they'd be looking a lot worse right now.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not sure how he is just a "me first" player when he took less money to go to Minnesota than he would have earned in New York. I'm happy the drama is over but the "overvaluing himself" was always more about the Redskins (aka Bruce) undervaluing him from the time he was drafted and basically putting him in a position where it made way more sense to go after franchise tags than entertain the insulting offers they were throwing his way and then trying spin it in the media as he was being selfish.

TLDR: Cousins is like anybody else and wants to be paid what he is worth. The Redskins wanted to be cheap and were lucky the dominoes fell in a way that allowed them to get Alex Smith or else they'd be looking a lot worse right now.
Jets are a gong show. He took the most he could while still being able to be a secondary guy re: being the saviour.

Again...I liked Cousins when he was here. I didnt like how he left, and I've liked him less and less as I watch his antics in MN.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I was a Cousins supporter, but I really don't care now. He's gone....only the Cousins critics seem to keep wanting to talk about him at this point.

He's dead to me.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I was a Cousins supporter, but I really don't care now. He's gone....only the Cousins critics seem to keep wanting to talk about him at this point.

He's dead to me.

Name Change!!!! Love it!!!!!

Agreed on this. @WetHog brought him up and I was only commenting on it again. He's gone. Skins are (so far as its really really early) pretty much the same without him, we have a guy locked up at QB that I like, so off we go!

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is my final mental reconciliation on Cousins:

-Skins f***ed up royally by slighting him multiple times
-Cousins was right to be mad, but he was a dick about it and made it a point to try to stick it to Snyder and Co., probably impacting the locker room at the same time for multiple seasons.
-he got his $ and a job in a better situation
-I’m content with Alex Smith. It could be a lot worse.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Why would he take a little more money to play in the NY crucible for a bad organization when the Vikings are perpetually in the playoff hunt, have great/young offensive weapons, a typically top notch defense, and just came off an NFC Championship loss to the eventual SB winners?

'Me first' is not necessarily "money overrules everything else no matter what".

Both players are on fairly long term deals by NFL standards. We're 4 weeks in. TBD on who "won" this battle.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I can't tell if Luck is actually healthy or not. I know the Colts offensive line is pretty trash but I feel like they're asking Luck to throw in a 2 second window short all the time.

Luck was always at his best when he was going for the intermediate range and picking people apart that way. Just feels like a completely different player now then what he use to be.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Cousins is who he's always been... Can't win the big game, all check down passes, will take sack fumbles, and throws picks at the worst times.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Cousins is a douchebag. He didn’t want to be here and for that reason I’m glad he’s gone. He’s a good player but he’s still a passive aggressive little jerk. He thinks he’s brees or Brady but has no resume to suggest even close to that.

If the d-line keeps causing havoc this team will be okay. They have the talent to get points. Look no further than Philly last year. A dominant d-line can take over games and if you get hot on offense you have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad