OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 3: Half-full (6-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
He’s not going to win a lot of comebacks late, but he’s more than good enough to win with in the NFL.

He didn’t give up 38 pts.

I'm not saying you're wrong here but it's weird how it's seemingly never Kirk's fault that his teams don't win tough games when it's close. It's weird how his record against good teams is awful. He hasn't had good defenses but I still find it interesting.

It could be that Kirk is who he is which is a good QB who is the product of good talent around him -- his offensive supporting cast has been very strong both in DC and in Minnesota -- but not good enough to carry a team.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It could be that Kirk is who he is which is a good QB who is the product of good talent around him -- his offensive supporting cast has been very strong both in DC and in Minnesota -- but not good enough to carry a team.

I wouldn't go nearly that far. In DC he had a below average receiving corps, some pretty good TEs, and a pretty weak running game. Trent Williams is of course a stud but other than him the line was pretty unremarkable as well.

I think your conclusion is correct that he can't carry a team on his own, but all that really says is that he's not Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady, which no one is going to argue.

Reactions: Praetorian Caps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I wouldn't go nearly that far. In DC he had a below average receiving corps, some pretty good TEs, and a pretty weak running game. Trent Williams is of course a stud but other than him the line is pretty unremarkable.

I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder, or Pierre Garcon below average but yes, he hasn't had a Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson. He also had Chris Thompson out of the backfield.

And Brandon Scherff is a 2-time Pro Bowler. Morgan Moses graded out higher last year than Tyron Smith who is considered to be one of the best tackles in the game, so I don't share your sentiment that the line is unremarkable. Two All-Pros + one very good RT is a solid line.

Reactions: Capathetic

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Come on bro. Thats disingenuous on a lot of levels. He also wanted to get paid like the top QB (or top 3) in the NFL. More than Brady. More than Brees. More than Rodgers (at the time). More than Roethlisberger. More than Ryan. More than Wilson.

I can go on and on.

After the 2015 season Brock Osweiler got a 18mil a year deal from Houston. Cousins wanted 20mil a year. Bruce and Friends said no and the rest is history.

I'm not into rehashing the Cousins debacle either. I was just frustrated to see a player that was drafted by the Skins and developed by the Skins playing at a high level for another team. Playing the most important position in football at a high level for another team. Good teams, winning teams, don't let players like that leave. And thats why the Skins are not a good team.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not saying you're wrong here but it's weird how it's seemingly never Kirk's fault that his teams don't win tough games when it's close. It's weird how his record against good teams is awful. He hasn't had good defenses but I still find it interesting.

I’d say the majority of NFL starters can’t carry a team, so yeah....he is what he is until he proves differently.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
After the 2015 season Brock Osweiler got a 18mil a year deal from Houston. Cousins wanted 20mil a year. Bruce and Friends said no and the rest is history.

I'm not into rehashing the Cousins debacle either. I was just frustrated to see a player that was drafted by the Skins and developed by the Skins playing at a high level for another team. Playing the most important position in football at a high level for another team. Good teams, winning teams, don't let players like that leave. And thats why the Skins are not a good team.

This.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I get it. 100%. I think they are improving in that regard a little bit. But they have backed some of the wrong horses, for sure

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The majority didn’t have to demand to be paid it just to get away from Snyder and Allen. Toxic Empire ftw.....

giphy.gif

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011

Or...Good team's don't pay players they deem to be good as great. Doing that is how you end up with a middling team in cap hell. Look at all the "good" players the Pats have let walk, or the "good" players the Steelers have traded away for nothing.

Bananas

Mar 26, 2007
Stuff on both sides of the Cousins debacle. At this point I’ve moved on. Skins are 2-1 and are led by a player who wants to be here and all indications are the feeling is mutual throughout the org. That’s very important.

The Skins will need to draft someone in the next two years to replace Smith when the time comes. Hopefully they don’t royally botch that like they’re prone to do. Jury is still out on Cousins’ ceiling - sub-prime Brad Johnson and journeyman Trent Dilfer won SBs for crying out loud - anything is possible there.

Given the way things went down I thought the Skins did relatively well mitigating the damage of having a prime-years QB walk. Hopefully they keep adding picks and drafting big bodies. If they do that and nail the successor to AS, I’d say the Redskins can easily complete the journey from laughingstock to respectability...which is all I’m hoping for at the moment. They need to clear that hurdle before I even consider the idea of “contention”. They have to shake decades of Loser’s Culture first.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see but I’ve seen encouraging signs (outside of the Cousins situation) over the last few years, culminating in last offseason when the Skins took the ideal route at every step once it became clear Cousins wasn’t coming back. Don’t forget that next year we’ll have multiple extra picks come draft time. The Redskins have a chance to be solid and deep for the foreseeable future. First time in forever I’d even romotely entertain that notion. They have to draft well and get above average coaching. Jury’s still out there too but the early returns on Allen and Payne are very encouraging. Gruden is in the midst of a “prove it” year and it’s still to early to tell, but 2-1 is 2-1. It’s a solid start for sure.

Going back to the thread meme I’d say the glass has just shifted from half-empty to half-full. That perception could change very quickly, however. And for the first time in a good, long while - I’m actually curious to see how it all pans out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I wouldn't call DeSean Jackson, Jamison Crowder, or Pierre Garcon below average but yes, he hasn't had a Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson. He also had Chris Thompson out of the backfield.

And Brandon Scherff is a 2-time Pro Bowler. Morgan Moses graded out higher last year than Tyron Smith who is considered to be one of the best tackles in the game, so I don't share your sentiment that the line is unremarkable. Two All-Pros + one very good RT is a solid line.

I agree. It’s the left guard and center positions that get completely blown up making the line as a whole look bad.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Or...Good team's don't pay players they deem to be good as great. Doing that is how you end up with a middling team in cap hell. Look at all the "good" players the Pats have let walk, or the "good" players the Steelers have traded away for nothing.

20 mil a year after the 2015 season wasn't paying a good player as great.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->