OT: Washington Redskins 2018 Season Vol. 3: Half-full (6-3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
I like Jay Gruden. His offense works well even without superstar talent. I don’t think as highly of Reed and Crowder as many do. Thompson is explosive but many teams have a guy like him but don’t know how to get them the ball in space. Gruden’s scheme when it’s clicking works well. Almost Patriots well. Looks like a copy actually except you’re kidding if you think Reed is anywhere close to gronk.
Still not sold on Alex Smith. Yes he doesn’t turn over the ball but guess what? The rest of the team still does. Reed caused that int and the fumble against the colts. Smith is a winner most of the time but don’t think for a second he wasn’t part of the reason KC lost like every game towards the end of last season after a great start. Limped into the playoffs and got beat by the Titans. If the Chargers has their act together KC wouldn’t even have made it in. Same for Denver if they had any quarterback at all.

Capathetic

May 26, 2011
Any interesting names coming in for workouts during the Bye week?

I’d love to see a legit safety or left guard. The starters are fine but with an early bye you just know that depth is going to be tested.

Allen when he lines up at end on the right side is a joy to watch. I wish they just had a pure speed pass rusher who can turn the corner and be in the backfield in 2-3 seconds. Not saying they need Von Miller or anything but a Dwight Freeny type of guy. Smith and Kerrigan are very good balanced rushers but neither has that type of speed that sneaks up on opposing qb’s.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Letting Cousins walk is up there with the biggest personnel mistakes in Redskins history.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Cousins was 36/50 for 422 yards with 3 TDs and 0 INT. He did more than enough to win, he defense wasn't clutch.

I stand by my previous comment. Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB in the NFL. He was drafted in the 4th round, developed by Jay Gruden and then the front office let him walk out the door. Letting mid round draft picks that you develop into what Cousins has become leave for nothing is not smart. Its what bad teams that can't make the playoffs on a consistent basis and cannot sell out their home opener do.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Cousins was 36/50 for 422 yards with 3 TDs and 0 INT. He did more than enough to win, he defense wasn't clutch.

I stand by my previous comment. Kirk Cousins is a top 10 QB in the NFL. He was drafted in the 4th round, developed by Jay Gruden and then the front office let him walk out the door. Letting mid round draft picks that you develop into what Cousins has become leave for nothing is not smart. Its what bad teams that can't make the playoffs on a consistent basis and cannot sell out their home opener do.

Come on bro. Thats disingenuous on a lot of levels. He also wanted to get paid like the top QB (or top 3) in the NFL. More than Brady. More than Brees. More than Rodgers (at the time). More than Roethlisberger. More than Ryan. More than Wilson.

I can go on and on.

Sure, the Skins front office was culpable. I dont deny that. But to lay it squarely at their feet is bunk. We have discussed this to death.

Lets see if the Cousins led Vikings team actually wins something. It wasn't the defense that scored 6 pts against a terrible Bills team last week....at home.

Do you think any of the aforementioned QB's would have taken a sack/fumble to end the game last night? I sure dont. But thats conjecture, so who knows. But Kirk did. Team lost. Preseason SB pick is 1-2-1. Is that all Kirk? NO. Just like it wasnt all the Redskins that blew the Cousins marriage

Reactions: g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Skins made the relationship between Team (Allen/Snyder) and player sour by repeatedly saying “prove it”, then offering insulting $. At the end he wanted the mega-payday just to screw Management and force his move to a better franchise.

After that, it’s a 50/50 split on blame IMO.

It was a blunder letting it get to where it was. If they had made the right choice immediately, Cousins would still be playing here under a reasonable price tag. Oh well, I’m over it, but let’s not let the Skins off the hook. They terribly mismanaged the player relationship and contract.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He’s not going to win a lot of comebacks late, but he’s more than good enough to win with in the NFL.

He didn’t give up 38 pts.

This is the classic debate about KC. Sure he didn't give up 38 pts. But he had the ball in his hand, with plenty of time, and two timeouts, to drive down the field for a game winning/typing TD, and he failed. That he failed after scoring 31, or if he failed after struggling all game long, doesn't change the end result. He had a chance to win the game with a drive and he turned the ball over. IF there is any single hallmark of his career, its that.

Top 6 QB in the first 3 quarters and when accumulating stats. Bottom 15 QB when it comes to leading his team to wins when he has a chance to win the game.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He’s just not the type of athlete to go steal a game late like a Rodgers. When he has to play like that, he’s just not very good IMO.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Would be interesting to see KC's stats in 1 score games in the 4th quarter with a chance to win or tie. Putting up big passing numbers on a team with a crappy running game and that's playing catch-up all the time is going to be easier than beating a determined defense on a late 4th stand.

IOW, being a top 10 QB in stats may not mean being a top 10 QB in talent when it matters, as it applies to winning important/close games. You have to be able to take over and win when the other team is giving their best at the end to be "great".

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Would be interesting to see KC's stats in 1 score games in the 4th quarter with a chance to win or tie. Putting up big passing numbers on a team with a crappy running game and that's playing catch-up all the time is going to be easier than beating a determined defense on a late 4th stand.

IOW, being a top 10 QB in stats may not mean being a top 10 QB in talent when it matters, as it applies to winning important/close games. You have to be able to take over and win when the other team is giving their best at the end to be "great".

I think it would look horrible....I mean look who he’s played for lol.

He’s no great, just good enough to win with. Late comebacks require a gunslinger mode and I don’t think he’s got that setting in his arsenal.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I don't have a stat on this but my eyeballs tell me he's not good, not clutch. Seen too many times that he had the chance to win/tie the game with a final drive and he failed. The number of times I saw him succeed in that position was minimal. He's just not Elway, Montana, Brady or Rodgers clutch in crunch time. He's just not.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Specifically, the final decision to let Cousins walk in this past off-season may or may not be a mistake.

However, I think just about everyone can agree that the front office's handling of Cousins over the past 24-36 months was bungled pretty bad, and allowed the relationship to sour.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Specifically, the final decision to let Cousins walk in this past off-season may or may not be a mistake.

However, I think just about everyone can agree that the front office's handling of Cousins over the past 24-36 months was bungled pretty bad, and allowed the relationship to sour.

Agreed. Their indecision cost them a lot. And as un-clutch as Cousins is, he can improve (Ovi?) and he would have been a huge value had they signed him long term in 2015 or 16. As it stands now they will be looking for another QB in a couple years and given their track record that search could last another 25 years.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
whynotboth.jpeg

KC's camp didn't have to act the way they did after the first offer. They expected red carpet treatment and got a tough negotiation instead. KC or his agents took it personally. Business never personal.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Now you’re talking like you were in the room.

Cousins and agent didn’t seem to get really mad until they were lowballed after “show me year 2”.

Anyway, he’s gone, they’re not. He’s dead to me, and I’m stuck with them (Snyder/Allen). Go Skins fans!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I'm talking based on what I've read, like everyone else.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Skins made the relationship between Team (Allen/Snyder) and player sour by repeatedly saying “prove it”, then offering insulting $. At the end he wanted the mega-payday just to screw Management and force his move to a better franchise.

After that, it’s a 50/50 split on blame IMO.

It was a blunder letting it get to where it was. If they had made the right choice immediately, Cousins would still be playing here under a reasonable price tag. Oh well, I’m over it, but let’s not let the Skins off the hook. They terribly mismanaged the player relationship and contract.

Yes and no, brother. I agree, in hindsight, it was a blunder. They made a choice, and were proven wrong.

BUT..had they given him the 18m a year (or whatever) and he was now Ryan Tannehill? (or worse....Jameis Winston, Derek Carr, Nick Foles..even Joe Flacco). Lots of QB's that burst a bit and then fade, badly.

Kirk has proven to be statistically more consistent than those guys...but his W&L record isnt awesome, he's not clutch, and his leadership is.....middling at best.

He may *STILL* end up being a very bad signing by Minnesota. Or, he will continue to move the ball well and get better at the things he can work on. At the age of 30. Which isnt old. But....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad